Rhode Island Politicians Unhappy With 38 Studios Deal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rhode Island Politicians Unhappy With 38 Studios Deal

Rhode Island's $75 million deal to lure 38 Studios [http://38studios.com/] to the state is coming under fire from several candidates in the upcoming gubernatorial election and even the State Treasurer, who is calling for major changes to the agreement.

38 Studios, best known as the brainchild of former November 2010 gubernatorial election [http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.redsox.com&sa=X&ei=GKNhTMyyLYWgnQej-dWODw&ved=0CCkQ4wEwAA&usg=AFQjCNHiLnX-IcvlE5c4QaqGDEZ3NeCtSw] don't seem to share his enthusiasm.

Independent candidate and former Senator Lincoln Chafee wants the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation [http://www.riedc.com/] to put a halt to the deal and solicit proposals from other companies instead, saying the EDC sunk the money into 38 Studios without any sort of appropriate process. The $75 million guarantee represents 60 percent of the $125 million allocated by the state to support high-tech and knowledge-based business and Chafee said in a letter to EDC Director Keith Stokes that he wants a "full, fair and far reaching RFP (request for proposal) process to ensure that Rhode Island gets the best possible use of its new loan guarantee fund."

Frank T. Caprio, the State Treasurer and Democratic candidate for Governor, also got in on the action, calling for changes to the deal that would reflect the risk being assumed by taxpayers. He wants Rhode Island to take equity in 38 Studios and have the right to attend board meetings, as well as a guarantee that "indirect jobs" created by the agreement be located in Rhode Island. He's also calling for the imposition of penalties against 38 Studios if it eliminates jobs "too quickly" after making the move.

Moderate Party candidate Ken Block was blunter in his assessment, calling the deal a "mistake" as soon as it was announced. "You can't fix the economy with silver-bullet solutions," he said. "Seventy-five million dollars could go a long way to help many small businesses here in Rhode Island, and we can't afford to set aside such a large sum of money for specific inducements to special companies."

Gina M. Raimondo, the Democratic candidate for General Treasurer who is also the co-founder of Rhode Island's only venture capital firm, pointed out that there are more than 100 venture capital firms in the Boston area, none of which were willing to back the studio. "I cannot support this particular deal," she said. "This company is highly, highly risky - they have no revenue and have never released a game."

Even the two Republicans running for office who said they support the arrangement expressed reservations. John Robitaille, a candidate for Governor, said he would rather have offered smaller loan guarantees to existing Rhode Island businesses, while Kernan King said it's the job of banks, not governments, to loan money to businesses. But both expressed trust in the EDC's judgment and hope that 38 Studios would flourish in the state.

It's not clear whether Rhode Island's deal with 38 Studios could be scuttled at this point, although Chafee said EDC Director Stokes indicated that it's not yet a "done deal," suggesting that higher hurdles could await. According to the Providence Journal [http://www.projo.com/news/content/CANDIDATES_STUDIO_38_08-10-10_P0JG9K4_v16.237ed29.html], 12 percent of Rhode Islanders currently cannot find work; 38 Studios promises to employ 450 of them by the end of 2012. It also noted that 90 percent of videogame companies ultimately fail.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/08/10/ri-candidates-lash-out-38-studios-sweetheart-deal]

Silvanend

Oct 28, 2009
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:
It also noted that 90 percent of videogame companies ultimately fail.
Wow, really? I never knew that.
In other news, current statistics suggests that around 94% of humans die. [1]

[1]: http://www.prb.org/articles/2002/howmanypeoplehaveeverlivedonearth.aspx

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Thats a rather shocking statistic...I can see why they might be a little scared of the whole deal now

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Silvanend said:
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:

Dude thats no comon, knowledge that 90% of game companies fail... >.> So get off your high-horse.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Gubernatorial? Is that some kind of new parliment in the US I haven't heard of?

Seriously, I'm kind of surprised a state government sunk so much into a game developer, especially an unproven one.

Silvanend

Oct 28, 2009
Korten12 said:
Silvanend said:
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:

Dude thats no comon, knowledge that 90% of game companies fail... >.> So get off your high-horse.
Sorry, I was trying to be facetious, not a jerk :( It appears that humor doesn't come off well on the internet =/. In any case, my only point there was that it ultimately doesn't matter if a game company fails so long as you get your investment worth out if it. In the end I think it's not very surprising that 90% of game companies fail because there's only one way for a game company to end, really, and gaming is an incredibly fluid industry.

Not that I really know whether this investment is a good idea or not, but saying that you shouldn't invest because the company might go under is as dumb as saying that you shouldn't spend money on the education of a human because they will (probably?) die.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Silvanend said:
Korten12 said:
Silvanend said:
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:

Sorry, I was trying to be facetious, not a jerk :( It appears that humor doesn't come off well on the internet =/. In any case, my only point there was that it ultimately doesn't matter if a game company fails so long as you get your investment worth out if it. In the end I think it's not very surprising that 90% of game companies fail because there's only one way for a game company to end, really, and gaming is an incredibly fluid industry.

Not that I really know whether this investment is a good idea or not, but saying that you shouldn't invest because the company might go under is as dumb as saying that you shouldn't spend money on the education of a human because they will (probably?) die.
Wouldn't it be more like that 100percent of Humans die? X-P ^-^

Silvanend

Oct 28, 2009
felixader said:
Wouldn't it be more like that 100percent of Humans die? X-P ^-^
Pft, you're a human, and you're not dead! CLEARLY we can't conclude that all humans die. :)

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Delusibeta said:

Seriously, I'm kind of surprised a state government sunk so much into a game developer, especially an unproven one.
Gubernatorial elections is a fancy way of saying state governor elections. Each state has a governor, which is the executive of the state-level government, and most of them are up for election this year.

Anyway, I hope 38 studios makes it known to Rhode Island that there ARE greener pastures, (namely Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Canada), and that they can take their 450 jobs elsewhere if they're not wanted. I guarantee that will get their attention. The jobless rate is a huge sore spot as far as elections go.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Since when has Lincoln Chafee NOT been an idiot?

Honestly, I don't know why all these people are clamoring over the fact that they're getting a new business. Maybe they don't want any economic growth, or added governmental revenues. Yes, I know it's a risk, but any time you invest in a business, it's a risk, and we have to risk on occasion if we are ever to grow as a people, or a society.

I hope 38 studios gets the loan, and makes an utterly fantastic game. Best of luck!

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
According to my local news, Massachusetts' politicians were pretty pissed as well.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
psrdirector said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Delusibeta said:

Gubernatorial elections is a fancy way of saying state governor elections. Each state has a governor, which is the executive of the state-level government, and most of them are up for election this year.

Anyway, I hope 38 studios makes it known to Rhode Island that there ARE greener pastures, (namely Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Canada), and that they can take their 450 jobs elsewhere if they're not wanted. I guarantee that will get their attention. The jobless rate is a huge sore spot as far as elections go.
and people can point out that for 75 million dollers you can get alot more then 450 jobs.
Well yeah. You can make a few thousand janitorial and food service jobs if that's what you want. But the money was appropriated for high-tech and knowledge-based business. Good luck making those jobs without any capital.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Well, having the option to maybe get with a company I HAVE heard of seems smart (I thought 38 studios initially meant 38 seperate studios, not a company called it)
Against them being on the board of whatever company though. Bad enough some companies IN gaming are so invovled in games. (Activision, EA)