EverQuest Gets "Reimagined" With New MMOG

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
EverQuest Gets "Reimagined" With New MMOG

Sony Online Entertainment has revealed EverQuest Next, the newest installment in the MMOG series, but it won't exactly be a sequel.

Even though both <a href=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=k:everquest,i:videogames&keywords=everquest&ie=UTF8&qid=1281468325>EverQuest and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Everquest-II-Complete-Collection-Pc/dp/B002NWOP4K/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281468348&sr=1-6>EverQuest II might be getting a little long in the tooth, Sony Online Entertainment is still pretty devoted to the franchise. In addition to a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102402-EverQuest-II-to-Test-Free-to-Play-Waters> free-to-play version of EverQuest II, both games are still receiving regular content updates and expansions. However, SOE recently let players know that a new EverQuest game is in the works, and it's apparently going to be completely different from its predecessors.

SOE announced the game at last weekend's annual Fan Faire. According to SOE's president, John Smedley, EverQuest Next will be a "reimagining" of the series that will, "deliver the story lines and role in another way than clicking through NPC dialog boxes." Apparently the the MMOG is also being built from scratch when it comes to PVP gameplay.

Other than these details, not much else is known about EverQuest Next. Two pieces of artwork were shown at the unveiling, showcasing a pretty different visual style from what's been present in the EverQuest games up to this point (the image here is a piece of in-game art). It will certainly be interesting to see just how different things will be in this reimagined EverQuest, but it sounds like it'll be a while before more information becomes available.

Source: Industry Gamers

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
vansau said:
According to SOE's president, John Smedley, EverQuest Next will be a "reimagining" of the series that will, "deliver the story lines and role in another way than clicking through NPC dialog boxes."
Isn't there some Star Wars game that's already trying to do this? Something about a Republic?

Though, it's understandable. I don't know how many people are playing EQ1 and EQ2 these days, and they might need a bit of extra revenue from the series. Still, they need to add something new; I'm worried about it being a WoW or SW:TOR ripoff.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, im glad to see they aint afraid to experiment a little bit. Im curious, and a little excited to see what they will make of it

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
seems like it could be a GW2 ripoff but I need to hear more about it before I make that statement.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
I'm calling wow clone. Just cause.

And guild wars isn't an MMO.
GW2 is, plus I didn't say GW, I said GW2. >.> (this statement is also implying you were talking to me.)

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Timbydude said:
vansau said:
According to SOE's president, John Smedley, EverQuest Next will be a "reimagining" of the series that will, "deliver the story lines and role in another way than clicking through NPC dialog boxes."
Isn't there some Star Wars game that's already trying to do this? Something about a Republic?

Though, it's understandable. I don't know how many people are playing EQ1 and EQ2 these days, and they might need a bit of extra revenue from the series. Still, they need to add something new; I'm worried about it being a WoW or SW:TOR ripoff.
You cannot be serious? The game isn't even out and you are already saying someone is trying to rip it off?

The quest thing is over, anyway. Its a system that has been exploited to bursting point and no one likes it any more. Who reads quest text any more? Its a dead system, and coming up with something to replace it is not a ripoff, its a logical step to take.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I'd like it to be succesful, EQ was my first MMO and I have fond memories. Still like EQ2 quite a bit. A traditionist view of an MMO is still cool in my opinion.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well... its kinda overdue in a sense. And the decision makes sense. Between what DCUO and ToR are going to be doing, its likely going to change the face of the MMO market. It makes sense that SoEs flagship title, while maybe not a standard bearer, should at least be a part of the march forward.

Im very curious on what this will become. I would like it to show alot more appreciation for EQ than what EQ2 ended up doing. ( still not a fan of the alternate timeline scenario)

However, Im somewhat leery about it especially with words like reimagined. That and the fact its from SoE... which I have long lost any faith in anything that comes out of Smedleys mouth.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Glad to see EQ can move forward, but I've long given up hope on balanced pvp gameplay in an mmo. Hopefully a reimagining means "less grind" but that could just be my wallet waiting for an innovative mmo talking.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
You know, I'd love it if they returned things to the way they were, storywise, in the first EQ because it was so much more entertaining and immersive (for the time) than what they came up with next. The independent racial cities and such were so much nicer than the big, bland good and evil cities. I miss Neriak.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
3nimac said:
Timbydude said:
vansau said:

You cannot be serious? The game isn't even out and you are already saying someone is trying to rip it off?
Yes, I am. More than anything else, BioWare has been pumping up the whole "fully voiced" deal, for about a year and a half now. The game has been in development for long enough, and its design ideas introduced to the public sufficiently, that I don't think I'm out of line for suggesting that EQ Next (just announced) could take ideas from a game that SOE feels will be successful.

Like I said in my post, I'm not claiming that EQ Next won't be good; I'm just pointing out that if "no quest text" is their current main draw, they might want to find another one if they don't want to be overshadowed by TOR.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Timbydude said:
3nimac said:
Timbydude said:
vansau said:

Yes, I am. More than anything else, BioWare has been pumping up the whole "fully voiced" deal, for about a year and a half now. The game has been in development for long enough, and its design ideas introduced to the public sufficiently, that I don't think I'm out of line for suggesting that EQ Next (just announced) could take ideas from a game that SOE feels will be successful.

Like I said in my post, I'm not claiming that EQ Next won't be good; I'm just pointing out that if "no quest text" is their current main draw, they might want to find another one if they don't want to be overshadowed by TOR.
But i think Everquest 2 already has quest voiceovers, its just a matter of getting rid of the dialogue boxes and putting in something else. And there is more than one way of doing that. I just want to say that maybe you should see how things play out before you get all judgmental.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't much care for how it seems every MMO out there is trying to change and re-invent the genere, not that much actually changes. I don't think there is anything fundementally wrong with the way things currently work, change for no reason isn't usually a good thing. I'd honestly rather see them tweaking and refining things that are already out there so to speak.

On top of that a lot of the "new ideas" that I keep seeing are actually variations on things we've seen before and didn't work for a reason, they either have to be hype, or will result in a broken game.

For example, we already saw what happens when you give players the abillity to make lasting changes on the enviroment in a persistant world. In old school UO they really did have a dynamic, reactive world. The economies, resources, and everything else changed based on player input. What's more people could build houses and such pretty much everywhere. It turned into a giant nightmare of lag, griefing, and insanity. The chaos was fun to be honest, but really I'm not too keen to see it revisited nowadays.

Heck, on Atlantic Shard we even had a guild called "Trinsic Borrowers" who held the entire city under siege. They started a sub-guild (with a guild stone when they were put in) that people would pay to join to not be attacked.... and some people did it. They literally had the gates outside of the city choked with buildings to limit where you could go once the town protection expired and enough members where they would just sit around and kill anyone who left town all day, and it was difficult to get enough people together to try and fight them, and even if you did clear them out, they would just be back an hour later doing the same thing.

I was a big fan of the single-player Ultima games (and I'm sad they died), while fun in it's own dark way, old school UO pretty much demonstrated that even the best and most realized world is going to be totally raped by people if you allow them that much freedom.... and I can say this for a fact since when this game first came out I was much younger and let's say that my idea of "fun" was a little differant than it is now.

Feb 13, 2008
Now I loved EQ, still do a bit, but this idea is stupid.

The mess they made of EQ2 actually created the hole in the market for WoW to step in, and now they want to do it again?

SOE need to learn how to code so they can actually make boats that work on EQ first.