Activision Denies Rumors Over Infinity Ward

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Activision Denies Rumors Over Infinity Ward

Activision is denying reports that developer Infinity Ward will become the sole craftsman of future titles in the vaunted and profitable Call of Duty series.

Citing an anonymous ex-employee from the soon to be defunct Activision Foster City studio, Next-Gen had reported that Infinity Ward had renegotiated its deal with Activision to become the sole maker of the shooter series following Call of Duty 5.

The publishing giant has deemed the assertion "erroneous."

Call of Duty 5 is being developed by Treyarch, the studio behind what most gamers see as the most lackluster title in the series, the third iteration.

Infinity Ward was responsible for the extremely successful latest version, Modern Warfare, which broke away from the World War II theme many gamers see as played out - and which the fifth title will apparently return to.

Source: Shacknews.com [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52343]

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Seems odd to put part 5 in the hand of a company which failed to create interest for part 3, especially when part 4 is so nicely done.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I think they keep making Treyarch develop some CODs is because they want a new COD every year or so, and IW can't do this. But, I'd prefer something polished to a mirror-shine, instead of coming out early (see Valve).

- A procrastinator

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
I would gladly wait longer for another CoD as long as it's made by IW and not Tryarch. CoD 3 was shite

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
the only reason treyarch are involved is so they can bring the series out faster
eg. cod1 - treyarch
2 - infinty ward
3 - treyarch
etc.
its a market tactic to mass produce the games without whipping their employees
also amen cod3 was crap - played it on the wii so x3 times worse due to HORRIBLE bugs (aimer lagging all over the screen when there was more than like 6 enemies) also the attempt to introduce drama to the series "dont die on me sarge" "tell him hes an idiot"
also the radio guy trying to prove he wasnt a coward - sniffle brings a tear to my eye -.-

CoD4 excelled at the drama since it had little of it - the nuclear explosion and ending

IndieRocker

Mar 25, 2008
as far as i'm concerned until infinity ward get it back call of duty is DEAD meanwhile lets all play GTA4

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Edderz1989 said:
Darkrai said:
Well. Boycott COD5 and wait until Infinity Ward makes COD6 or a different shooter
I'm with that idea.

spread the word, stop the evil treyarch from destroying CoD and give it to the geniuses that are infinity ward. lol.
Yes, Spread the word of the boycott. This will make Activision learn to never let the makers of Spiderman make a shooter

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Am I alone in thinking the multiplayer for COD3 at least is pretty good? I certainly play its multiplayer more than COD4 (terrorists dropping a grenade everytime they die just pisses me off to the point of controller throwin). Singleplayer wasnt much good though Ill agree to that

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I dunno, they've made alright games before and they tend to be good about innovative game mechanics. 'Die by the Sword' was fun and 'Spiderman 2' was too. It seems like second chances might be appropriate.

Nov 28, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
I dunno, they've made alright games before and they tend to be good about innovative game mechanics. 'Die by the Sword' was fun and 'Spiderman 2' was too. It seems like second chances might be appropriate.
Neither of those were FPS's.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
thebobmaster said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
And? You've got people proposing boycotts of a game they haven't seen or played. System Shock 2 was made by a team of people who'd never created a video in their life. The people who did the God of War game for the PSP made the Ratchet and Clank PSP title before that. And before that they were kicking it at Blizzard or Naughty Dog.

I'm just saying everyone deserves a chance.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Call of Duty 3 was made by Treyarch because Activision wants a new game every year. This is good because while CoD3 was not the best it was not horrible and it also alows IW to fine tune their game. I doubt CoD4 would have been as good if IW did not have Activision barking down their backs.

Nov 28, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
thebobmaster said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
And? You've got people proposing boycotts of a game they haven't seen or played. System Shock 2 was made by a team of people who'd never created a video in their life. The people who did the God of War game for the PSP made the Ratchet and Clank PSP title before that. And before that they were kicking it at Blizzard or Naughty Dog.

I'm just saying everyone deserves a chance.

I'm not saying that those people are right. All I'm saying is that Treyarch has already screwed up another COD game, so you can't blame fans for not immediately forgetting about COD3 and embracing COD5.