Rumor: Gearbox Taking Over Duke Nukem Forever

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Gearbox Taking Over Duke Nukem Forever

"Forever" might prove to be very apt, as another developer is linked to the notorious, but troubled title.

Duke Nukem Forever is pretty much the Bigfoot of the gaming industry. Few people really believes it exists, but every now and then, new images emerge and everyone starts talking about it again. But this time it's not a picture of the elusive project that has people talking, it's a rumor that it's been spotted in a new habitat.

Anonymous sources have suggested that work on the long delayed shooter is going on a Gearbox Software, creators of Borderlands and the Brothers in Arms series. Obviously this is just rumor, but it isn't the first time that Gearbox has been linked to a Duke Nukem project, as it was revealed in court documents earlier this year to have been working on a game called Duke Begins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92567-New-Duke-Nukem-Game-Revealed ].

It's not impossible that that work is continuing on DNF, as earlier this year both Take-Two and Apogee - the legal name of 3D Realms - dropped their respective lawsuits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101362-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Lawsuits-Dropped], having apparently settled their differences out of court. Allowing Take-Two to assign another studio to develop the game - which Take-Two says it spent $12 million on the license for - might have been part of the settlement. If the rumors are true, then Duke Nukem Forever is in the hands of a very capable FPS developer, but after more than a decade in development, it's going to have to be something pretty special to make the wait worth it.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5609770/rumor-borderlands-studio-reviving-duke-nukem-forever]

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
What I said in the other thread:
ultimateownage said:
Well it would be a stupid idea finishing it, seeing has from what I've seen in the above video, it's just a generic fps, and the only thing making it different from a halo clone is that it has a cooler character you play has. I remember what Yahtzee said once, he wanted Duke Nukem to be released so that it would end all of the damn fps' with several guns at a time and rechargeable health. From the trailer Duke Nukem has the only 4 weapons, if not also the rechargeable health.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Heh, I remember when they first announced DNF. Sounded too good to be true then, and this definitely grain-of-salt type news. Shouldn't we just let Duke rest in piece?

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Please...just put it down. Theres no need for it to suffer any longer.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Let the poor man die in peace. Stringing him along on life-support for a decade while he's in a coma isn't what he would have wanted. He would have wanted to go out fighting, just please for the love of god, don't show him on national TV like a vegetable.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
I really want to play DNF, but I want it to be the DNF it should have been. I fear a watered down halo clone, no sexism, 2 weapons and regenrating heatlh and the pigcops replaced for politcal correctness. :(

I just wanna play a Duke wher ei can walk into a strip club, tip the dancers and shoot an Alien in the Face with a golden desert eagle while spouting a corny one-liner. I just hope it doesnt try and be a serious fps instead of a comical action one. The audio from previous duke games is pure gold.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
I could most certainly deal with that.

Epitome said:
I really want to play DNF, but I want it to be the DNF it should have been. I fear a watered down halo clone, no sexism, 2 weapons and regenrating heatlh and the pigcops replaced for politcal correctness. :(

I just wanna play a Duke where i can walk into a strip club, tip the dancers and shoot an Alien in the Face with a golden desert eagle while spouting a corny one-liner. I just hope it doesnt try and be a serious fps instead of a comical action one. The audio from previous duke games is pure gold.
Get out of my head!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
So...basically...Gearbox is going to be starting the game from scratch. Right?

Seems a decent plan, but I'm not sure many people really> care at this point. Duke could easily be finished with, and I'm one who thinks it would be better that way.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
OmegaXIII said:

Epitome said:

I just wanna play a Duke where i can walk into a strip club, tip the dancers and shoot an Alien in the Face with a golden desert eagle while spouting a corny one-liner. I just hope it doesnt try and be a serious fps instead of a comical action one. The audio from previous duke games is pure gold.
Get out of my head!
"Its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and Im all outta gum!"

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Epitome said:
OmegaXIII said:

Epitome said:

Get out of my head!
"Its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and Im all outta bubblegum!"
"I'll rip your head off and shit down your neck"

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Jesus Christ when will this end? Duke Nukem is a lame character. The only reason he's even rembered today is because Duke Nukem Forever is one of the longest and best know running gags in video game history.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
BabySinclair said:
Let the poor man die in peace. Stringing him along on life-support for a decade while he's in a coma isn't what he would have wanted. He would have wanted to go out fighting, just please for the love of god, don't show him on national TV like a vegetable.
Dana22 said:
Please...just put it down. Theres no need for it to suffer any longer.
hudsonzero said:
oh for the love of god, will it never end
Always Bet On Duke!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It's time to make this game well and chew bubble gum...
and you're all out of gum.
Also, if this game is bad, Duke's gonna rip your head off and shit down your neck, as he has Balls of Steel.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
If not them, I hope someone takes over. Or, for the hell of it, it just keeps being a work in progress. The only thing the game has for it anymore is that it's infamously late to the show (I say this having not played any of the other games, and having no interest in them).

Actually, I want some budding but ambitious indie developers to take over. It would likely reduce costs, bring out more creativity, be a good publicity boost for them, but mostly I'd like to see it out of curiosity. It could be interesting to watch.