Blockbuster Bankruptcy Looms

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blockbuster Bankruptcy Looms

Rumors are swirling that the once-mighty Blockbuster [http://www.blockbuster.com/] is preparing to file for bankruptcy within the next 30 days.

My, how times change. Blockbuster, once the big boy on the video rental block, has fallen on awfully hard times of late. In April of last year the company revealed that it was staggering under a Home Media Magazine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90807-Bad-News-for-Blockbuster] says the company is expected to announce a "forbearance agreement with select creditors" this week as it gears up to file for bankruptcy within the next month.

Blockbuster is preparing a "pre-packaged bankruptcy," which the report says could be a tough sell because it requires that all creditors agree on a strategy that is "mutually beneficial and least disruptive." The company is struggling to keep the lights on as it tries to move away from conventional stores to "a multiplatform distribution strategy." Blockbuster was delisted by the New York Stock Exchange on July 1 and entered into its current forbearance agreement in order to avoid having to fork over a $42 million interest payment, but that agreement is set to expire on August 13.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter said he expects the agreement to be extended long enough to allow the company to begin bankruptcy proceedings after it announces its second quarter results after the close of markets on August 12. The forbearance agreement will keep unsecured creditors from triggering provisions that would force a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, which would almost certainly lead to the liquidation of the company. There is hope, however; Pachter also said that he believes the company will be able to recapitalize by mid-September and, if everything goes according to plan, may be able to avoid entering bankruptcy protection entirely.

Blockbuster recently added a library of over 3000 videogames to its By Mail subscription service. Whether the move was made in time to help bring the company back from the brink remains to be seen.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well hello to sweet justice. A company uses asshole tactics to ground other video rentals into the dirt, and then fails to adapt properly to when people decide they prefer mail service. No surprise here and I doubt their last minute effort at adding to their inventory will change things.
Blockbuster is going DOWN!

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see it getting sold to either Netflix or such after this month.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I cannot say I am surprised...the whole rental thing has been going downhill so badly. I have to admit, I never rent...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Really dumb question time.

Are Blockbuster US and Blockbuster UK registered as separate companies? Blockbuster in the UK always seems to have done quite well, they reported a supposedly 'best year ever' last year.

Ah well, if they fold I can always just get a LoveFilm account instead...

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Everytime I go into Blockbuster whatever I want to rent is out.

If they're stupid enough to get one copy, and only one copy, of Red Dead Redemption....well, no wonder people are swapping to mail order renters.

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
Serves them right.

Who seriously charges £24 for ONE GAME thats overdue by four days?

Blockbuster can go die.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
The rise of LoveFilm services has obviously made them redundant.

Never nice to see a business go under though. Yes, it's bad for the people on top but it's the people on the bottom who really suffer.

May 28, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Really dumb question time.

Are Blockbuster US and Blockbuster UK registered as separate companies? Blockbuster in the UK always seems to have done quite well, they reported a supposedly 'best year ever' last year.
If Blockbuster US is anything like Blockbuster UK, the sentiment of their deserving to fail is at least on the cards. Them and their horrifically over-priced products...

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
I kinda feel bad for a friend of mine who works at a Blockbuster at the moment. With that said, one of the 1000 stores they closed was in my town... and I got some pretty sweet deals on some BluRays.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
First Hollywood Video and GameCrazy and now this. Dang...

David DeMoss

Aug 11, 2010
Not to shamelessly parrot an existing meme, but...this almost gives me hope for humanity. Almost. It's certainly gratifying to see shameless greedheads scramble to polish up their burning turd of company...though I can't help but wonder where bored, suburban teenagers who've watched too many Kevin Smith films go to find work now?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
They were stupid to resist change to secure profitability in the short term. Weren't they the last ones to actually allow rentals and such to be made online and so on?

David DeMoss said:
Not to shamelessly parrot an existing meme, but...this almost gives me hope for humanity. Almost. It's certainly gratifying to see shameless greedheads scramble to polish up their burning turd of company...though I can't help but wonder where bored, suburban teenagers who've watched too many Kevin Smith films go to find work now?
Are they the same greedheads in charge? People who are out to screw you often know when to jump ship.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
The only people I feel bad for are the people who are going to lose their jobs when they finally go banktrupt. I don't even bother renting anything any more, I'd rather just suck it up and buy whatever it is I'm after.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Well that kinda sucks. I liked Blockbuster. Sure they didn't have that large a selection, but I still liked being able to physically browse through there store, it's easier then browsing through Netflix.