Crytek Boss Commits to 3D for Crysis Series

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crytek Boss Commits to 3D for Crysis Series

Cervat Yerli, head of Crytek, says that he wants people to associate the Crysis brand with 3D gaming.

High-definition HD gaming is still in its infancy, but Yerli thinks it's here to stay and wants to make sure that Crytek is there from the beginning. In his opinion it's only a matter of time before the 3D capable TVs are widespread, and developers start tapping into that new audience.

In Yerli's mind, the release of Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281615341&sr=8-1 ] - which he views as something of a re-launch of the series because it's the first time console gamers will get to play a Crysis game - is the perfect opportunity to associate the series with the 3D experience. But he doesn't want to do 3D gaming just for the sake of doing it and says that he wants to use 3D to make a really special experience. "We want to turn the TV as well as the monitor in to a window into a new world," he said. "Once people play in 3D the way we've demonstrated, I don't think they'll want to not play in 3D ever again."

Yerli isn't expecting that every developer will embrace the technology instantly, and thinks that the audience for it will start off relatively small. He believes, however, that there will be some big games that use it and benefit from it. Yerli admits that the current high price of 3D TVs is a barrier, but considers that to be a temporary setback, rather than an insurmountable obstacle. "As soon as the first affordable 3D TVs arrive," he said, "I think it's a no-brainer at that point, everyone will adapt."

Crysis 2 is scheduled for release early next year.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259611?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Tadas Kucikas said:
aha interesting not really this article is the shittiest i seen today WHO cares about crysis if NOONE can run it i ran the first crysis on medium without lag on highest there was a bit lag but with crysis 2 NOW i know that there's no freaking chance that i will be able to play another crysis game EVER
While I appreciate the feedback, I have to ask, what on Earth are you talking about?

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I wish the 3D fad would disappear for another couple of decades like last time.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Tadas Kucikas said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Tadas Kucikas said:
aha interesting not really this article is the shittiest i seen today WHO cares about crysis if NOONE can run it i ran the first crysis on medium without lag on highest there was a bit lag but with crysis 2 NOW i know that there's no freaking chance that i will be able to play another crysis game EVER
While I appreciate the feedback, I have to ask, what on Earth are you talking about?
that they overdid the graphics to unfreaking-runnable
Are you some kind of beta tester, or something? Unleess you are, you're probably speaking rubbish here.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Tadas Kucikas said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Tadas Kucikas said:
that they overdid the graphics to unfreaking-runnable
On Crysis 2? Isn't it a bit premature to say that about a game that doesn't come out until next year?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmmm.... I've already got this on pre-order, now I might just have to get myself a 3D tv, Wipeout HD and Crysis 2 in 3D? That's a lot of temptation to get a new TV, I reckon FPSs would benefit greatly from 3D and if anyone can do it well, CryTek can.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
thats really too bad...pretty soon I will have to revert to reading nothing but books. specially with the push towards Pseudo 3d in all things tv, games, and movies.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, thats going to put a bee in my bonnet,...as I cant use 3D...

Thanks Crytek, thanks alot...

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Tadas Kucikas said:
You can build a computer for like 800 bucks now that can run it very high settings. My computer is approx 1 and a 1/2 years old, it cost just around a thousand then, and it can run Crysis beautifully on a mix of high/very high settings. Warhead is even easier to run, they also said that they have reduced the system requirements for the bare minimum to run Crysis 2, as well as increase the top end. There a plenty of people who can play it, it is coming to consoles.

Anyway, I don't really care if this is 3D, if it isn't then I'm happy, if it is then I would like to try it. I doubt I would really prefer it over 2D, but you never know it might be kind of cool, even as a silly gimmick...

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Look at it this way, It's been what? About three years old at this stage and people still can't run it, so by the time the game comes out in (lets not kid ourselves this IS going to slide back) 2011/2012...so by 2015 most people should be able to run the game...and low and behold by THEN 3-D tv's won't need glasses and EVERYONE and their grandma will be gaming in 3-D.

People giving out about 3-D and comparing it to the old skool 3-D are missing one glaringly obvious point...it actually works this time, all that's standing in the way is expense. Sure I was in an electronics store the other day and saw a 32" 3-D tv for ?1,500. Which is about what HD-TV's were going for upto maybe 5/6 years ago.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
This 3D garbage really needs to stop. I don't like it in my movies, on my TV, my handheld, PC or console gaming. So it looks like this is what's going to pass for innovation until 2015 when we finally get another generation of consoles. Since that's where the money is, we'll find it slopping over on to the PC as well, no doubt.