Review: Clash of the Titans

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010

A mythic quest as appealing as a pile of Pegasus dung.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Really dosnt surprise me. I wasnt impressed by the film, and a game conversion from it was bound to be terrible...

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Jaredin said:
Really dosnt surprise me. I wasnt impressed by the film, and a game conversion from it was bound to be terrible...
QFT

Awful film, awful game.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Wow Steve You always get the good stuff. N3 II and now this, who did you nerf by accident to get these reviews!

Hopefully they set you loose on something a bit meatier next

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Whoa you are telling me a licensed game based on a poorly reviewed movie sucks?!? This have never happened before in the history of video-gaming!

Seriously though it really isn't news when this happens, it is news when a movie based game is actually good.

Jimrollson

Jul 29, 2010
I looked forward to this game with the same gullible enthusiasm I had towards the movie. Fool me twice, shame on me...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Steve Butts said:

Read Full Article
You don't think there's enough Greek mythology games? Play Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. There's about 25 hours of gameplay dedicated to Greek mythos.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
lacktheknack said:
You don't think there's enough Greek mythology games? Play Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. There's about 25 hours of gameplay dedicated to Greek mythos.
I just think there aren't enough. Titan's Quest didn't really do it for me, honestly. For my money, it's hard to beat Zeus: Master of Olympus or Age of Mythology.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Well yeah it's movie tie in game, crap is par for the course.

Seriously though is this hazing the new guy or what. It's like,

"Here Greg you can review Star Craft 2"
"What about me"
"Oh, it's the new guy. Take your pick out of the movie tie in game bin, it's all the same shlock"
"sad face"

EDIT: Oh and I like your beard badge I must get one for my self.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Steve Butts said:

Read Full Article
I am surprised you actually took time to review a horrible movie-tie in game. You know 9/10 these games fail horribly, with the exception of Transformers: War for Cybertron. IGN, whilst not a site I soley base my assumptions/opinions on, gave it a solid 3.0. Pretty damn bad, I wouldn't suggest this to anyone.

The move itself was medicore, nothing amazing but kept me entertained.
You forgot Wolverine ;)

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
Well yeah it's movie tie in game, crap is par for the course.

Seriously though is this hazing the new guy or what. It's like,

"Here Greg you can review Star Craft 2"
"What about me"
"Oh, it's the new guy. Take your pick out of the movie tie in game bin, it's all the same shlock"
"sad face"

EDIT: Oh and I like your beard badge I must get one for my self.
I think of it as falling on the grenade to save the squad.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Steve Butts said:
In review:

I used to argue with folks about the bastardization of Greek myths, not only in the videogame industry, but also in the wider world of books and movies. Then a couple of my fellow editors pointed out that the invention of new contexts for myths in movies like Clash of the Titans or Disney's Hercules just continue the redaction that the Greeks themselves practiced as their own myths took shape. So while I still think Brad Pitt makes a crappy Achilles, I'm comforted that the myths are vital enough to support new meanings and backgrounds for us in the 21st century. On the other hand, I'm disappointed that it serves as the subject matter for a game as terrible as Clash of the Titans.
Hey there,

Firstly, great review. :) The game looks generic, and I'm sure it can be skipped to avoid some kind of gem.

Secondly, I'm currently studying Greek mythology at university, and I have to say that this is a point that most people should read, and one I used when debating Clash of the Titans with a fellow student. I'm usually a great purist (my opinion on the shocking takes on Golden Compass and parts of the Harry Potter series are particular things my mates never ask me about). However, I always raise the point your editors made: Greek myth was changed all the time by the Greeks themselves. The playwrights are key examples of Greeks doing this, and the multiple versions that existed of the Homeric hymns (possibly the most famous of the Greek myths, both then and now).

The Romans also greatly changed Greek characters (Hercules, meet Heracles. Oh, and Odysseus, that cyclops you faced in the cave? Yeah, it's now a lovesick fool), so it's hardly a new thing.

Brad Pitt was a terrible Achilles, and Orlando Bloom was just... No. Still, it's great to see that the Greek myths are alive and well. Clash of the Titans was also not particularly accurate, but it only works loosely around the Perseus myth, and it's designed to be a battle royale of the Greek monsters vs. a Greek hero.

Hope that made as much sense in my head as on screen :)

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
movie was terrible. The movie should of been a 2 1/2 hour movie. That way the movie would be able to pace every scene and not rush everything. Plus with the extra hour of movie time they could add in some tid bits talking about the different gods and their back stories. Also Perseus's encounter with Hades we have been an actually battle.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
The film was really just... awful. My mom and I watched it and the two of us kept looking at each other with this "Wtf?" expression on our faces. When the big battle with scorpions commenced, I was already done in my mind. She's not as knowledgable about Greek Mythology as I am, and she knew something was wrong. Even the whole Kraken thing had me laughing, thinking more about giant squids every time they made huge stink about it.

Therefore, from the gameplay footage I can only assume that the game does not really adapt the source of Greek Myths to inspire it, just as the film did. It starts off that way... and then goes crazy trying to throw in what it can to try and impress. I will give the game credit though, at least there are cyclopes and centaurs for example, whereas the film spent more time dwelling on giant scorpions for one of its big battle scenes.

Steve Butts said:
I just think there aren't enough. Titan's Quest didn't really do it for me, honestly. For my money, it's hard to beat Zeus: Master of Olympus or Age of Mythology.
I have to agree, I think that the classic myths provide great material for games. It may not be something completely "new", but with some of the horrors that manage to wind up on shelves, I think I would prefer unique approaches to different Mythologies.

Age of Mythologies is one of my all-time favorite games no less, and I'm hoping for a sequel (though that's probably just a dream).

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Wow Steve, are the folks over at the Escapist hazing you by making you play utter shit? I'm sorry. Really, truly sorry.

Also, the movie was just meh. Acting was laugh-out-loud awful, and the action scenes really weren't that special, barring the final one against the kraken. It's worse than bad, it's unremarkable.