Nintendo E-Reader Unlocks Ultimate Mario Levels

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo E-Reader Unlocks Ultimate Mario Levels

Some of the coolest Super Mario Bros. levels can only be played with a method that many probably never even knew existed.

Nintendo's e-Reader, released in 2002, wasn't the type of gadget the name refers to today. It hooked up to the Game Boy Advance and consumers could buy trading cards to swipe through it to play full NES games or to add content to existing games. The e-Reader didn't really take off, with many dismissing its capabilities, but those people probably never saw these e-Reader exclusive Mario levels.

Nintendo sold packs of cards that when swiped unlocked levels in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 that contain elements from all of the Mario games mashed together, or even totally new ones. Remember the cape powerup from Super Mario World for the SNES? The e-Reader brings it to Super Mario Bros. 3, along with items to dig up from Super Mario Bros. 2, the steel lifts from Super Mario Bros., and countless other level design elements and enemies from most of the Mario titles.

These levels can only be played by using e-Reader cards that are sure to be nearly impossible to find now. 12 cards were released in the U.S., with another 24 in Japan, for a total of 36 unique levels that the majority of people have never touched. From the video here showing the mashed-up elements, they look like something Mario fans might want to hunt for. I know I'm going to unearth my e-Reader and see if I've got any of the cards lying around.

Joystiq [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=132824]

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Wow, epic fail on our part huh?

It's seems all sort of old easter eggs are coming out, wonder who is next.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
Why didn't we figure this shit out years ago?

Well, people didn't discover the trick to play as Master Hand in Melee until 8 years after the game released.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Wow, that's... pretty awesome. How did I not know about these? Maybe Nintendo could have focused a bit more on the advertising.

I could see some cool ideas from this. The collection of both American and Japanese levels sound like together they would make a perfect WiiWare game. Or maybe with camera capabilities, the 3DS could have similar functions as an e-reader, taking a picture of the bar code on a card? I always enjoyed collectible card games but they were too expensive; this seems like it would have similar collectable elements without the cost.

Funkiest Monkey said:

Well, people didn't discover the trick to play as Master Hand in Melee until 8 years after the game released.
Wait, no way. You can play as the giant hand?!

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
ranger19 said:
Funkiest Monkey said:

Wait, no way. You can play as the giant hand?!
[gametrailers=701341]
EDIT: Just posted the video instead.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
If I hadn't been told otherwise, I'd have thought that was just a (admittedly very good) hack.

Wow, that's...really cool.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That looks so fun :(

Why do I have the sudden urge to play Super Mario 64 though???

pmeier

Apr 15, 2009
Oh wow, this is pretty cool.
Although I don't understand why they didn't just include those with the game.
I would have probably bought it if it had.

Also,
Tom Goldman said:
12 cards were released in the U.S., with another 24 in Japan, for a total of 38 unique levels that the majority of people have never touched.
Wouldn't that mean that there are 36 levels not 38?

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
pmeier said:
Tom Goldman said:
12 cards were released in the U.S., with another 24 in Japan, for a total of 38 unique levels that the majority of people have never touched.
Math is hard. Let's go shopping!

I'm actually more enthusiastic about these levels than SMG2, which I haven't gotten around to playing yet. There's just something neat about seeing all that stuff mixed up together.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Funkiest Monkey said:
EDIT: Just posted the video instead.
Whoa...

I'm going to have to do this when I get home and dominate one of my friends at the game. Mua ha ha!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
What is it with all these old and ancient easter eggs? I agree its epic, but...a few decade late?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
pmeier said:
Oh wow, this is pretty cool.
Although I don't understand why they didn't just include those with the game.
I would have probably bought it if it had.

Also,
Tom Goldman said:
Ha ha. Maybe. Yes. What?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Calhoun347 said:
I still have my E-reader.
I never could find one. I couldn't find the reader or the cards, and yet I did know about them. I remember seeing advertisements for them, and probably would have picked on up.
Jaredin said:
What is it with all these old and ancient easter eggs? I agree its epic, but...a few decade late?
Few decades? That was released for the Game Boy Advance in 2002. Less then a decade late. Some people like me remember seeing ads for this, but could never find it. It's no wonder it sold poorly.