Hands-On: End of Nations

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Overthrowing a despotic world government through force in an MMORTS is actually kind of difficult. Better bring some friends.

Read Full Article

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Cool. Sounds like Tom Clancys End War(sorta). Be intresting to see what the final product looks like.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It looks like it has promise, and, can go on to do great things..plus, at least its something different.

Polish it off, and just make a few changes, and could be something ill consider!

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
A Red Alert MMO would make me a very happy person.

But with any RTS over the internet I have to wonder if ping and lag will mess up micro.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
randomsix said:

But with any RTS over the internet I have to wonder if ping and lag will mess up micro.
StarCraft seems to do just fine. Although since this is an MMO, lag would probably be more of an issue. I'd imagine things will get messy when 50 users are piling into the same area at once.

This is the sort of thing that I'd sign up for a beta for. Doubt I'd pay for it, however.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
It seems interesting, but I wonder how the MMOs aspects will play into things. I really don't like any game where players are going to be at a disadvantage just because the other guy grinded more than they did.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I like the idea and hope it does well. I can't promise that I'll be among the users, but it sounds like a different approach to the whole MMO thing, so it'd be good for the whole industry for it to succeed. That way, the next time a development team is pitching an MMO that isn't single-character fantasy, they can point at End of Nations and say, "See?" Sure, half of those future games will still end up sucking, but you get the idea. Innovation and all that. Good stuff!

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
John Funk said:
Sup I said:
How is it like pokemon?
You're encouraged to collect sets of vehicles by trading blueprints with your friends.
Curses, you've dashed my hopes of the commonplace corp evolving into mechanical monstrosities that command the elements. Every military needs some giant robots, I'm sure you'd agree.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
John Funk said:
Sup I said:
How is it like pokemon?
You're encouraged to collect sets of vehicles by trading blueprints with your friends.
Curses, you've dashed my hopes of the commonplace corp evolving into mechanical monstrosities that command the elements. Every military needs some giant robots, I'm sure you'd agree.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Delusibeta said:
randomsix said:

StarCraft seems to do just fine. Although since this is an MMO, lag would probably be more of an issue. I'd imagine things will get messy when 50 users are piling into the same area at once.

This is the sort of thing that I'd sign up for a beta for. Doubt I'd pay for it, however.
From my experience in SC1, lag can seriously mess up micro, and I don't imagine scaling up the maps (and increasing the data that must be shared between players) would help that. Of course, this game could be more about strategy and less about micro.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Every time when someone unnecessarily uses term "MMO", God kills a puppy. John, you got misled by false advertising and thus, killed 6 harmless puppies today.

This is not an MMO, there is max 51 players per battle.

Nevertheless, Im looking forward to play it. Seems like a World In Conflict on steroids, in the future.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dana22 said:
Every time when someone unnecessarily uses term "MMO", God kills a puppy. John, you got misled by false advertising and thus, killed 6 harmless puppies today.

This is not an MMO, there is max 51 players per battle.

Nevertheless, Im looking forward to play it. Seems like a World In Conflict on steroids, in the future.
How is that not an MMO? It's persistent with a large amount of people in the conflict at any one time. (And the 51 figure wasn't a hard cap, it was just the amount of people that they had available to play the game at once - it could easily go up). Champions Online is considered an MMO, and it had a max of 100 players in any given instance.

MMOs are defined by a large number of players in a persistent world, and guess what?

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
This game
John Funk said:

Overthrowing a despotic world government through force in an MMORTS is actually kind of difficult. Better bring some friends.

Read Full Article
This sounds like the game is in the same vein of RTS as warhammer 40k.
I enjoyed both the original game and the DOW2 games... is this End of Nations as similiar as your review makes it sound like?