Question of the Day, August 17, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, August 17, 2010

A man dubbed the "dancing preacher" holds multiple Dance Dance Revolution records. His secret? The Lord. 27-year-old ordained minister, Sterling Franklin, preaches from the dancefloor, not the pulpit. He successfully combines videogames with his faith, but do you think videogames can or should be used to promote religion? What parts of videogames would help or hinder the message?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
People use videogames to promote just about everything, I see absolutely no reason why religion should be any different.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Why not? I mean, you risk alienating certain audiences. But that's really up to the private organisation making the games. It's not like the state is really involved.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Why not? Every other medium is fair game [ho ho!], and it's ultimately up to the consumer what he or she wants to buy.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
From what I've seen, religious people will use anything to force their beliefs upon others.

nelsonr100

Apr 15, 2009
SHOULD they? Probably not, people should be able to make an informed decision when they are older and not have it pushed on them as children. Children are more likely to believe in something without having any argument to back up the belief and putting into a favorite medium of children could result in claims of "brainwashing" and the like.

CAN they? Sure, it shouldn't be against the law, people can promote their religion as they like. I just feel it is a way of suckering younger children in before they have a chance to create their own opinion.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
No option for: No, nothing should be used to promote religion, it's singlehandedly done more harm to mankind than anything else in our history and every effort should be employed to stamp it out before it gets even worse?

In that case a simple, meh, whatever. Gullible people will believe anything regardless of the medium.

I wonder how long before someone sues someone else over this though...

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
I'm almost an anti theist but I think that the example given by this question is fair enough. Is there any particular reason that this bloke can't use videogames to promote his religion?

Edit: Some people have already suggested that he may be forcing his religious view on people. It doesn't appear to me that this man's actions are anything more than just preaching. It seems that he is promoting rather than forcing.

For me, the line between preaching and forcing is when the preacher is preaching to people that have to listen, like to students in schools.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Well i have played some fantastic games that taught me maths. And if videogames can teach me maths they can do anything. So why not, nothing wrong with putting a little fun into things.

And don't even think about making a game that promotes the Norse gods, that ones mine!

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Video games are a form of expression just like any other medium and if someone wants to make a game to support religious views, then that is fine. We've been fighting and fighting for free speech in video games for quite some time now. It would be extremely hypocritical to say "We have the right to say X, but those people that we don't really like can't say Y!"

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Both options are correct... Any medium CAN be used to promote religion but SHOULD it? No, in my opinion... Actually the promotion word is key too, im not a fan of video games or any other form of entertainment promoting anything, religion included. There is a difference between expression and promotion.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
While not a fan of promoting "religion" ("absolutist systems of inseparable dogmas") at all, I suppose video games are as good/bad as any other media. And they certainly have every right to use them.

Disregarding my ethical concerns, from a purely tactical point of view religions are well served updating the platforms by which they preach. Their grip seem to ever loosen in the younger demographic, so embracing new forms of communications by which to regain influence with those who would never seek out a church seems a smart move.

[small]Strictly linear games would probably be best...[/small]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
As long as the games are optional and not used in schools or whatever then sure, go for it.

Although this is the kind of thread that gets flamed to pieces in the R+P forum so I am not sure it's wise to bring this to everyone's attention. Just look at post 6 and we already have the bait.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Of course he should be able to, you should be able to use anything you want to promote your beliefs. Calling it "brainwashing" or "pushing religion" is just offensive.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I dont think any form of mass media should be used to promote religion.

As I am biased as I see religion as something that does more harm than good and is simply a way to control a populace through fear, guilt and the promise of unreachable goals. Beyond that however I think that religion is at its worst when it tries to impose its views on the un willing or unwitting. I have no problem with games that deal with religion or use a religious mythos be it ancient (God of War) or 'modern' (Dante's Inferno) but using a game to preach is just not on.

Just seen:
Cartographer said:
No option for: No, nothing should be used to promote religion, it's singlehandedly done more harm to mankind than anything else in our history and every effort should be employed to stamp it out before it gets even worse?

In that case a simple, meh, whatever. Gullible people will believe anything regardless of the medium.

I wonder how long before someone sues someone else over this though...
So pretty much this!

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
latenightapplepie said:
Why not? I mean, you risk alienating certain audiences. But that's really up to the private organisation making the games. It's not like the state is really involved.
That. Also, I love your avatar, it makes me laugh. :D

It's really up to the developer to promote religion or not.
But I don't think that it will be easy to convert hardcore gamers into happy christians etc.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Cartographer said:
Ranooth said:
From what I've seen, religious people will use anything to force their believes upon others.
Nice work, guys, I'm glad we got that stuff out of the way quickly. Now hopefully we can have some non knee-jerk reactions :p

OT: I see no reason why not. We have games where Zeus and various other members of the Greek pantheon are a reality. We have games where the gods of the ancient Egyptians are treated as real beings. There are hundreds of examples of games centred around gods that the writers have simply made up. Game designers love to plunder mythology for ideas, and what does it amount to? Bugger all. Let's be fair, and let the Abrahamic god get his share.

That said, it's a pretty pointless question. Did the people who encountered Zeus in God of War start believing in him? Of course not. Video games are stories, not to be taken seriously - I don't see how it would be possible to "promote" Christianity through a video game unless you marketed it to the very young and impressionable. In that situation, the kind of parent who would buy (or allow their child to play) such a video game is probably already indoctrinating their kid into the religion, so the game will no make difference at all.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Yes, everyone deserves a choice. All people should be given the opportunity to join a religion if they choose, and I see no reason why videogames shouldn't be used to promote said religions. That said, anyone who considers it should be mindful that there are always two sides to an argument, and it is unlikely that any promotion will fully educate an individual in that religion's beliefs. They have the right to make their promotions, but I have just as much right to ignore rubbish.