Game Changer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Game Changer

Did Scott Pilgrim just change the way movies tell stories?

Read Full Article

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Darn those significant spoilers, I was all ready to read this.

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
This Article plus your review on the Expendables has already made my day. Thank you Bob for saying everything that I've been telling my friends over the past week.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
It really wasn't a good movie. The graphic novels are good, but like other long, episodic stories, it just doesn't cram together well and the pacing is way off. Add to that the deadpan lack of acting by a bunch of otherwise decent talent and you get.... a severe disappointment. We don't know why Ramona's so attractive to Scott, because she never emotes or otherwise gives him a reason; likewise, Scott's just kind of there, pining for Ramona, and nothing else, for no other reason than she's an aloof counter-culture girl who dresses cool. There's just zero chemistry.

It was just a series of fights, and sort of came off as Mortal Kombat's G-rated little brother. That's a shame, because the graphic novels are more about Scott getting some self-respect and changing from slacker to functional adult.

As for what MovieBob was saying in the article, I don't think the movie was a game-changer, either. It made use of some narrative devices previously introduced by way of the graphic novel, but they're not a good replacement for solid writing, good acting, or decent pacing, which this movie didn't have.

Still not as bad as the Last Airbender, but the video game gimmicks and weird edit/scene changes don't save it, sorry.

Apr 19, 2010
Well unless my alter-ego decides that seeing this movie is incredibly important, it will go unwatched. After the emergence of the Cera virus it is always advised that you avoid anything contaminated with him.

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
Pugiron said:
Yeah, it made sure no studio ever wasted that much money on pretentious hispters again, after being such a disspointment. It showed that just because fat nerds that think they are cool despite the rest of the world mocking them do not make up the majority of the movie audience! Look at the numbers,Bobbie. It was not a success by any stretch. Why would anyone want to change to be like that? Stupid.
I don't think change is happening right now with the box office returns. You're right on that part. But judging on word of mouth that the movie is generating it's looking like it's going to hit cult status on DVD. If that does happen, then yeah studios are going to pay attention.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I doubt it's really going to influence much, certainly not for a while anyway.

Most truly influential films are both critical and commercial successes and while Scott Pilgrim has some pretty varied reviews it's tanked commercially. Also it's aesthetcs design is just too far from Hollywood for them to really "get" it. I mean most of Terry Gilliam films could be huge influetial works, but they're failures so they aren't.

It's possible that 10 or so years from now people who grew up with Scott Pilgrim will do similar stuff but I really doubt it's influence will go beyond that.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
aw shucks, can't read since I have yet to see Scott Pilgrim. Shall probably see it this Sunday, and I must say I have begun to look forward to it.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Calendor1 said:
So, does anyone besides me love that movie?
I do! I don't care that it got fifth place it's still awesome and I love how it tells the story similar to the comic books. Despite certain scenes not filmed of the comics due to it's compression it still makes a great impact in the overall world of cinemas and movies available today. I'll also check out that suggested Woody Allen movie as well. Thanks MovieBob!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Pugiron said:
Yeah, it made sure no studio ever wasted that much money on pretentious hispters again, after being such a disspointment. It showed that just because fat nerds that think they are cool despite the rest of the world mocking them do not make up the majority of the movie audience! Look at the numbers,Bobbie. It was not a success by any stretch. Why would anyone want to change to be like that? Stupid.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. I mean, I get that you didn't like the movie (more than likely didn't even see it <---- me making an inference on you based on the majority of society nowadays) but why is it hipster? What about it makes, as you say, "fat nerds" think they are cool?

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Hmm.. I loved the movie, but didn't really think about the possible impacts you mentioned. Could be cool if things happened like that.

And this movie is totally gonne go "cult status" when it hits DVD/blu ray.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It was intresting, im not sure its something thats really going to push borders.

I think, although good...people really do over hype Scott Pilgrim

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I think if anything, it will pave the way for continued inventiveness in incorporating video game aesthetics into other media. I don't really see it as a game changer any more than any other graphic novel adaptation was a game changer. I also don't think we'll see the "1-UP" mechanic for rebirth appearing in anything other than a specifically video game-related story. This comic and the film were consistently imbued with that idea, so the concept of a 1-UP makes narrative sense. We'd already seen crazy fights and people bursting into coins--the VG images had already been established--so we accepted the 1-UP idea. But you'll never see a 1-UP used in a serious dramatic piece. Doing so would remove us from the experience. No matter how ingrained in our culture video games become, we'll still be aware of their retro origins and the other-ness of their imagery. I mean, sitcoms and laugh-tracks are ingrained in our culture, but you'll never hear a laugh-track in a tragic drama trying to relieve tension, no matter how understanding we are of television's generic conventions.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
MOVING AWAY!!! I'm avoiding this til I've seen Scott Pilgrim in the UK on Wednesday! So again, NAVIGATE AWAY DAMMIT!!