Hands-On: End of Nations PvP Carnage

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hands-On: End of Nations PvP Carnage

Petroglyph's MMORTS is a ton of fun when you're blowing up other people.

When I took a hands-on look [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/7987-Hands-On-End-of-Nations] at End of Nations' PvE content (that is, vs. computer-controlled enemies), I came away feeling that the game had potential but that it wasn't without issues. The game simply felt overtuned: Enemies spawned too quickly and took too long to kill, making it hard to accomplish even the simplest of objectives.

It's funny how that problem goes out the window when you're playing against other human beings, hmm?

[gallery=9]

The "Ground Assault" PvP map that Trion and Petroglyph showed us was simple, and actually had far more in common with a competitive battleground in a game like Battlefield 1942 or WoW than it did a traditional RTS like StarCraft or Dawn of War. The objective was territory control - grab strategic nodes, hold them to get points, the first team to a given score wins. There was no base-building; you had your own little squadron of vehicles and that was that. If all of your forces were destroyed, you simply respawned back at your team's home base.

While there were only enough people to populate a four-on-four match, the developers are hoping for some truly massive RTS battles: They're aiming for battles with at least 10 players per side, possibly more.

Still, even with fewer than half of the "ideal" number of players, this PvP match was where the core of End of Nations really began to shine. It was also where I became rather fond of the Strike commander class: While the Tank commander is powerful and durable and the Artillery commander can rain destruction down at a distance, the Strike commander relies on speed. You have a squadron of zippy little buggies at your disposal that move in to hit hard and fast and then zoom away before they catch any return fire - they blow up if someone so much as looks at them the wrong way.

There are some neat tricks that all players have at their disposal: You can drop turrets and other traps wherever you please to make the points you control more easily defensible. As you battle, you earn points that can be spent on upgrading your forces ... or you can spend them on something more interesting - depending on the locations that your team controls, you can expend your resources on a special ability.

Holding the air strip lets you call in a special bombing run, which was fun, but the game's Crowning Moment of Awesome [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SugarWiki/CrowningMomentOfAwesome?from=Main.CrowningMomentOfAwesome] required you to hold the central point on the map - the Mother of All Bombs. I'm sure you can guess what happened next: I saw the enemy team moving through a narrow pass and decided to call down the thunder.

It may not have the whole "imminent doom" effect of the classic "nuclear launch detected," but really, seeing a tactical nuke decimate your opponent's forces is just a blast, no matter what game you're playing. End of Nations' PvP may well be the main draw for many experienced RTS hands, and with good reason - it's a ton of fun. It's still in a very rough and unpolished form, but the potential is here for quick and brutal matches like you'd find in an FPS, only controlled like you would any given strategy game.

This is where End of Nations shines, and if Petroglyph can make the PvE content as fun as the PvP, it might well have a winner on its hands.

May 23, 2010
Wait, Petroglyph? Oh, well. Nevermind.

I think the main problem that I can see with AoE:O and EoN is that as MMO games, they're being marketed to the lowest denomenator, which means simple and often dull gameplay.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Have you tried Dawn of War 2 multiplayer? From what you're describing, this sounds like it has much more in common with that than Dawn of War or SC.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I love it, and I want it now! It looks like it has really won a great systen with the online play...I approve

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I have to say, monsieur Funk, people could probably understand what a "crowning moment of awesome" is without a TV Tropes link. Or do you insist that Readers Are Morons?

As for the comment on the actual topic, well. If End Of Nations makes it big, everyone will understand that MMORTS is a genre to be mined for tiberium gold, which means more innovation in the MMO genre... let's all hope End Of Nation makes it big. Usually, i don't even look at MMOs because i don't care, but i may download a trial version of this one.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Ah, that paragraph about the tactical nuke brought back fond memories of playing World in Conflict. KABOOM!
If I think about it, this game seems to have a lot in common with WiC, teamwork based on different classes and such in an RTS. The idea of a MMO based on WiC always felt cool, so maybe this could be something similar.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'm disappointed that there's no infantry units, but infantry units are going to be cannon fodder anyway.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Ldude893 said:
I'm disappointed that there's no infantry units, but infantry units are going to be cannon fodder anyway.
Infantry was more than just cannon fodder in WiC. To me it looks as if the Strike Commander is taking over the role as infantry as forwards spotters and hitting quickly and hard, disappearing from the radar afterwards.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kollega said:
I have to say, monsieur Funk, people could probably understand what a "crowning moment of awesome" is without a TV Tropes link. Or do you insist that Readers Are Morons?

As for the comment on the actual topic, well. If End Of Nations makes it big, everyone will understand that MMORTS is a genre to be mined for tiberium gold, which means more innovation in the MMO genre... let's all hope End Of Nation makes it big. Usually, i don't even look at MMOs because i don't care, but i may download a trial version of this one.
You're assuming I just didn't want to get readers stuck on TVTropes ;)

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I want it, so bad!

Reminds me a bit of shattered galaxies...wait was that the name? Who knows!

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
World in Conflict clone?

Sure seems like it to me.
I am not the only one that thought this then!

It isn't even a good clone, No INF!!!

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
John Funk said:
Kollega said:

You're assuming I just didn't want to get readers stuck on TVTropes ;)
Oh man, that site has some sort of otherworldly power: it's impossible for me to spend less than six hours on it at a time.

Your link frightens me...