Star Wars: TOR's On-Rails Space Combat Still Looks Awesome

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Star Wars: TOR's On-Rails Space Combat Still Looks Awesome

Star Wars: The Old Republic's space combat may lack the freedom of traveling through space, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun.

After Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102664-Rumor-The-Old-Republics-Space-Combat-Lacks-Freedom-UPDATED]'s leaked space combat confirmed that the mode would be on-rails, many players may have thought that meant it wasn't going to be any good. Though an MMOG version of LucasArts' classic flight sims would have been amazing, Old Republic's latest space combat trailer makes it look pretty sweet too.

I originally thought that Old Republic's space combat would be somewhat similar to World of Warcraft's bombing runs (something I may have been alone in my enjoyment of), but now we see it's far more action packed. Using the six kinds of player ships such as the Jedi Corellian Vanguard-Class Light Corvette and the Sith Fury-Class Imperial Transport, players will still go up against enemy fighters and larger ship types as Star Destroyer-like enemies lurk in the distance.

The space combat looks very hectic as players try to avoid masses of laser blasts and waves of asteroids. It's very much like Starfox [http://www.amazon.com/Starfox-Command-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000N8UYDW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282265285&sr=8-8], a series which has a few on-rails entries that are plenty of fun and packed with replay value. Whether Old Republic's space combat will do the same still remains to be seen until it can be experienced in full, but the trailer should calm detractors for now.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Didn't they say that it was not on rails? I could have swore that they said that they did not want it that way.

Whatever the game is still going to be amazing.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
So it's like the space combat in Lego: Star Wars. Hopefully they'll be less button-mashing.
As a side-note, it seems like Bioware never does anything wrong.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
...Wow, it certainly does look great. I really can't wait for this game.

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
I'm surprised the never did this before. Lucas Arts made star wars into every other kind of game

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Ok I guess this means I have to name my first character "Wolf O'Donnell", find someone named "Fox McCloud", and scream at him "CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT STAR FOX!", while another guy in his party called "Peppy Hare" yells "DO A BARREL ROLL".

GET THIS GUY OFF ME FOX!

Seriously, if one of the first few hundred characters isn't named after a Starfox character I will rage horribly.

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
As awesomely fun as this will undoubtedly be, I still want a full 3D flight sim somewhere down the line, I want dogfights Dammit!!!

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Hmm. You know, Star Wars Galaxies didn't do everything wrong. Just about everyone who cared loved it's space expansion, Jump To Lightspeed. Hell, my guild even had a Squadron. This looks fun, but without multiplayer, something is lost. This is an MMO, after all.

selce

Nov 27, 2007
SuperMse said:
Hmm. You know, Star Wars Galaxies didn't do everything wrong. Just about everyone who cared loved it's space expansion, Jump To Lightspeed. Hell, my guild even had a Squadron. This looks fun, but without multiplayer, something is lost. This is an MMO, after all.
i agree, i was hoping for it to be a little more jump to lightspeedish but this does look like its going to be quite fun and im def looking forward to it

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Rayjay06 said:
Except for making an MMO instead of a real KOTOR RPG.
Yep :( I wish I could find it in myself to not despise MMOs, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Was Star fox popular with everyone? I know I loved it but had no idea so many people played it.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Wait, THIS is what you meant by on-rails? I thought you meant...
... come to think of it, I don't even know what I thought you meant o_O either way I'm completely sold now. I loved Star Fox.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The Austin said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
The Austin said:
Well, I'm sold. Time to brush up on my flying.

STAR FOX, HERE I COME!

Slippy here!

AHHH! HELP ME!
Or, as he says in the SNES game, Awawawawaw! Rawawawwa!
The only sound I hear is his screams when I Fired everything I had at the !@%& let the !@#$er die was sadly unable to save him in time.