Critical Miss: #29

Mar 30, 2010
Hah, like Bobby Kotick would demand a Kraken when he could ask for a huge pile of stones to squeeze the blood out of! Good point about the woman Blizzard took to court too, how in the world is she ever gonna be able to pay back even a percentage of that?

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Asking for 88 millions is pretty much asking that the person running the illegal server to become theyr slave and every centime he get must be send to Blizzard directelly

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
While the amount was absurd, I doubt that potentially bankrupting said woman wouldn't (also) be seen as a message; although it might well end up as one back-lashing publicity-wise. Still a great strip though, as it usually is.

Daystar Clarion said:
The day I get to demand unicorns in court is the day that I consider myself a successful law graduate.
You and me both. I would've gone for an invisible pink one though.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
A few things...

1) She didn't show up to court
2) Blizzard wanted more for the Paypal transactions totalling 20 mil extra
3) This was because her server was running the low end of copyright infringement - $200 per person.

But yeah, Kotick made this even better.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Hah, like Bobby Kotick would demand a Kraken when he could ask for a huge pile of stones to squeeze the blood out of! Good point about the woman Blizzard took to court too, how in the world is she ever gonna be able to pay back even a percentage of that?
Why! With her great great great grandkids, of course! They'll pick up the tab when she's long dead.

[sub]EDIT: Basically, it's unrealistic to expect the payment. I don't know what Blizzard and Actvision were thinking at the time. I'm sorry for the confusion I have caused. I am going to sleep to avoid any further confusion... good day and good night.[/sub]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The strip hits the nail on the head regarding that verdict.

88 mil is absurd. She won't make anything close to that for the rest of her life. What's the point of passing such a sentence? Oh, I'm sure they'll give her a nice payment plan, after siezing all non-essential items she might own, and she'll be reduced to buying expired food with the meagre leavings of her salary, for the rest of her existance. Oh, and I'm not sure how it works where she lives, but wouldn't it be awesome if when she died her children inherited the debt. Also, some intrest rates to compensate Activision for having to wait for the cash.

If I was her, I'd liqudate all my assets, grab what cash I could, pack my bags and head to a country where Activision couldn't extract payment from me. A chance at a life is better than no chance at all...

Mar 30, 2010
Mr. Grey said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Why! With her great great great grandkids, of course! They'll pick up the tab when she's long dead.
I've just had a closer look at [link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102805-Blizzard-Squeezes-88-Million-From-Private-Server-Owner[/link] and it seems that Blizzard actually sued her company Scapegaming. As it's a company then the any left over debt will quietly get passed onto the taxpayers. So basically Blizzard have just sued the population of California.

That having been said, how much did she make out of this scam? Maybe this $88 million price tag is just the value of Scapegaming and it's assets.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Jandau said:
The strip hits the nail on the head regarding that verdict.

88 mil is absurd. She won't make anything close to that for the rest of her life. What's the point of passing such a sentence? Oh, I'm sure they'll give her a nice payment plan, after siezing all non-essential items she might own, and she'll be reduced to buying expired food with the meagre leavings of her salary, for the rest of her existance. Oh, and I'm not sure how it works where she lives, but wouldn't it be awesome if when she died her children inherited the debt. Also, some intrest rates to compensate Activision for having to wait for the cash.

If I was her, I'd liqudate all my assets, grab what cash I could, pack my bags and head to a country where Activision couldn't extract payment from me. A chance at a life is better than no chance at all...
Well they pretty much made her a slace with that verdict in fact... Since every penny she will made that wont go to her essential for living will go directelly to Blizzard... She will basically work for free for the rest of her life

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
Pretty good. IMO, however, one thing would have made it flow better... something in the first couple panels with one of the little black boxes for a description. Or moving Asshat to a second box that pointed to Ol' Bobby. Boxes per row... 1/1/1 or 0/1/2... maybe I just have a thing for patterns.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Mr. Grey said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I've just had a closer look at [link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102805-Blizzard-Squeezes-88-Million-From-Private-Server-Owner[/link] and it seems that Blizzard actually sued her company Scapegaming. As it's a company then the any left over debt will quietly get passed onto the taxpayers. So basically Blizzard have just sued the population of California.

That having been said, how much did she make out of this scam? Maybe this $88 million price tag is just the value of Scapegaming and it's assets.
Apparently she made three million from various "donations".

They basically charged her $200 for each player that was a part of the game and spending money. Which was 427,000 or so, if I remember that article correctly - and if it's correct - so that's where the bulk of the charge is coming from. Everything else was fairly minor.

$64,000 Attorney's Fees
$3,000,000 Disgorged Profits

That's what I'm getting from the various sites I've visited regarding this.

EDIT: This one helped the most. [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29936/Blizzard_Wins_88M_Judgment_Against_WoW_Private_Server_Owner.php]