GTA IV Busts Day One Sales Records in UK

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
GTA IV Busts Day One Sales Records in UK

GTA IV sales in the UK have outstripped all records.

According to Chart-Track, the Rockstar-developed title sold 609,000 units on its first day of sales, besting the 501,000 unit record set by its predecessor in 2004.

The game also set a record for first-day Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 sales by wide margins. 335,000 360 copies were sold compared to the old record of 266,000 for Halo 3, and 274,000 PS3 copies were sold compared to Gran Turismo 5: Prologue's relatively paltry 80,000 copies.

The data was based on initial reports and may change after a closer look on May 6.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gta-iv-sets-uk-day-one-sales-records]

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Not sure how this best's FOX news...

Anyways, no doubt those sales are helped by the 10/10 and other perfect scores the game is getting. I'm not buying it till I've played it myself.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Galaxy613 said:

Anyways, no doubt those sales are helped by the 10/10 and other perfect scores the game is getting. I'm not buying it till I've played it myself.
Do you suppose this is going to encourage Publishers to bribe and wrangle metacritic scores so they can capture these kinds of sales figures consistently?

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
Abolished said:
Take that FOX news
Considering that IGN and Gamespy are owned by the same company that owns Fox and they both game GTA4 the highest score possible...

Mainstream media are capitalist whores. They will say whatever to make money. They don't report, they create stories. Fox is probably the worst, but they're not that different than any other media source.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
There were some signs taped to the GTA4-emblazoned metal detectors at the entrance to GAME when I walked past this morning. Hand written in red marker pen- "GTA4 SOLD OUT. WE DO NOT KNOW WHEN MORE STOCK WILL ARRIVE. SORRY". There have been a few times I've wanted to put signs like that up in Toys'r'us round about December.

-Nick

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
Galaxy613 said:

Do you suppose this is going to encourage Publishers to bribe and wrangle metacritic scores so they can capture these kinds of sales figures consistently?
Is the sky blue?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Notice the use of the word 'bust' rather than surpasses or overcomes. Violence I tell you, violence.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Now can someone give me a good reason to buy GTA 4? Is there anything new in the game at all? As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.

Nov 28, 2007
BrunDeign said:
Now can someone give me a good reason to buy GTA 4? Is there anything new in the game at all? As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.
You mean besides a completely revamped combat system and adding in hotwiring?

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Kayevcee said:
There were some signs taped to the GTA4-emblazoned metal detectors at the entrance to GAME when I walked past this morning. Hand written in red marker pen- "GTA4 SOLD OUT. WE DO NOT KNOW WHEN MORE STOCK WILL ARRIVE. SORRY"
ugh tell me about it. didnt preorder since san andreas was a flop. then found out the day before release it is pretty dam awesome. so i get to wait until i can actually place an order for one when they become available again. CURSE YOU GAME!!

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
BrunDeign said:
implemetation of cover based gunfights, drunk driving, online, smashing car windows if the doors locked, making friends with people to have them help you when you phone them, graphics (obvious i know) and i dont know much more since the dam thing sold out in a day

sorry for double post

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Kukakkau said:
BrunDeign said:
implemetation of cover based gunfights, drunk driving, online, smashing car windows if the doors locked, making friends with people to have them help you when you phone them, graphics (obvious i know) and i dont know much more since the dam thing sold out in a day

sorry for double post
QFT. SOmetimes I get sick of hearing "dang sequels with no innovation". They're sequels people! If they weren't about roughly the same thing they'd be spin-offs. Besides, as GTA 4 goes, I'd say it adds a whole bunch.

Melaisis said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Galaxy613 said:

Is the sky blue?
You should have told the one about the bear in the woods. It demonises those bad ol' publishers much better.