Valve Unveils The Sacrifice DLC for Left 4 Dead

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Unveils The Sacrifice DLC for Left 4 Dead

Valve has taken the wraps off The Sacrifice, a new DLC expansion for both L4D2 [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B0025P9I9C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282579582&sr=8-5] that will "bridge the gap" between the two games and explain how one of the original survivors was lost to the zombie horde.

Apparently Valve wasn't kidding when it pledged to support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92349-Valve-Responds-to-L4D2-Boycott] the original Left 4 Dead even after the release of the sequel late last year. If anything, the studio is going in entirely the opposite direction: Doing its best to ensure that everybody gets everything. The Sacrifice was originally intended solely for Left 4 Dead, but it didn't take long to realize it would be a great fit for the follow-up as well.

"It's a really fun campaign, it's got lots of high Hunter leap points and stuff," Valve's Chet Faliszek told PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/21/interview-valve-on-their-new-left-4-dead-dlc/]. "And we said 'You know, this would be really cool in Left 4 Dead 2. Some of these locations would be cool for the Spitter and the Charger.' So we decided we'd release The Sacrifice not just for Left 4 Dead 1, but for Left 4 Dead 2."

Adding to the coolness is the decision to bring the popular No Mercy campaign to Left 4 Dead 2, although the addition of new zombies will change the experience considerably. "Your strategy of holing up in corners just disappears, because the Spitter is going to wreak havoc," Faliszek said. "The Rooftop of No Mercy now, with Chargers and Tanks, is... you'd better not stand by a ledge."

On the upside, players will also have access to the hard-hitting L4D2 weaponry. "You're playing as the Left 4 Dead 1 characters in Left 4 Dead 1 maps, but you get melee weapons, the new weapons, the defib - all the stuff from Left 4 Dead 2," he continued. "You get to see Zoe with a chainsaw, Zoe with an axe."

In September, Valve will also release the first of a four-part, 190-page (150 pages, according to some sources) digital comic, the last chapter of which will be the story told in the DLC, including the "real" story of how one of the four original survivors falls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99316-One-Left-4-Dead-Survivor-Wont-Survive-The-Passing] under the undead onslaught. "The final part... takes place at the same time as the game," Faliszek explained. "So you can either play it or read it - or both."

The Sacrifice is scheduled to launch on October 5 in concert with the Mac version of Left 4 Dead 2. The new DLC will be free on the PC and Mac, while Xbox 360 owners will have to fork over 560 Microsoft Points.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
May I be the first to express my deep and abiding love for Valve and all its employees.

Love Valve. Hate Piracy.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Why can't other devs and publishers be like Valve "Free-DLC are you Mad!" they proberly say. Maybe they are mad.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
Wow, this is awesome, I get a new chapter and my favorite chapter from the first game? Its almost to good to be true!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I didnt think my love and respect for Valve could get higher but it could. I so need to insstall L4D again.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Excellent. Have a friend who only started the series with L4D2 so can't wait to introduce him to no mercy. Muhahahhah!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Hehehe, my friend's just sold his copy of Left 4 Dead 2, but I'm definitely gonna be playing this on the first one.

Clay More

Jul 12, 2010
Finally L4D2 fans can go rage like we did. Those games will be almost identical 0.o (except L4D1 has got better animation)

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
*hugs Valve* i wuv you
Valve! will you adopt me? :D i can 3d animate for your next game!

OT: I have both games so it doesnt matter to me much which game i play them on but my friends only have one or the other, so its nice to be able to play this content with everyone,

Aug 25, 2009
Going to start praying to the Gods of gaming that this gets released at some point in disk form because no matter how much I want this, it still doesn't quite have enough in it to entice me to go anywhere near online gaming ever again.

Also, I like how they're pushing Zoe forwards again, kinda like how they realised that Jennifer Hale and that character made her some sort of fetish fuel for lonely nerds. You stay classy Valve!

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
From a PS3 owner stand point all I want to do is scream obscenities at Valve... But from a gamers point of view, I just want to applaud them. I mean they've really gone above and beyond, and to release it free on PC, its just incredible.

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
So, the DLC will be the same for both games? With us playing as the L4D1 survivors on those maps, but with the L4D2 game play?

Moreover, can friends who have the DLC on different games play this together anyway?

I mean, either way I'm probably getting it for L4D2 just to be safe, and no matter how all that I just mentioned turns out it's gonna be awesome. I can't help but applaud Valve for all that they do for their games and their fans.