Capcom Disses <i>Okami</i> Dev Team By Removing Wii Credits

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Capcom Disses Okami Dev Team By Removing Wii Credits

The development team behind Okami has found itself neatly excised from the credits section of the Nintendo Wii port.

The now-defunct Clover Studios team, which operated under Capcom, were removed from the game's end credits in a port also published by Capcom.

Game Director Hideki Kamiya expressed disappointment at the slight.

"I feel dejected, and not only because my own name has been erased from my creation," Kamiya wrote on his blog. "Of course we have pride in our work and we want to scream 'We made this!' from the top of our lungs. But more than that, the fact that they cut the entire staff is utterly deplorable."

Capcom defended the move with an explanation unlikely to convince even A/V amateurs, saying the credits had to be removed carte blanche because it was a "pre-rendered movie that contained the Clover logo."

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/05/01/staff-credits-cut-from-wii-okami]

MrCrun

Dec 17, 2004
That makes as much sense as removing all the credits from RKO movies, just 'cause they don't exist any more.

smgrimes

Feb 5, 2007
I am SO disappointed in Capcom...but aren't they obliged to credit the creators?

I agree that there was always something odd going on with the distribution...even promotion...of the game. It was hard to find, there were never many copies available even at its release (in Canada at least), the price never went down, and then it just sort of disappeared.

YanniXenobia

Apr 16, 2008
I worked on over 20 games published by Sony Computer Entertainment and my name is not in the credits for any of them, including several major releases (Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Motorstorm, Resistance, Wipeout Pulse and F1 to name a few).

Although I must say the only two of those games I am actually bothered about not getting credited for are Warhawk and Wipeout Pulse, because the majority of the rest were utter pap.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ya credits to those that work on projects are not guaranteed by publishers, its a problem the industry is slow to deal with...I read a couple articles on gamepolitics .com a while back.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I wish I had known this before I went to Video game Live. I would have yelled at the president of Capcom, who was there (which was freaking awesoome). I really would have too, because the crowd around him was so big there is no way he would know it was me.

Xenoveritas

Mar 26, 2008
Given how terrible the port is, they might be glad. Celestial Brush, Wiimote, what could go wrong, right?

Everything. They gestures were originally designed to be done on the Dual Shock. The Dual Shock made things like drawing circles (rotate the stick) and drawing lines (left-to-right) really easy.

Try drawing a straight line and a circle with your mouse. Now remember that the Wiimote is quite a bit less accurate than a mouse.

I would have figured they'd have loosened up the gesture recognition in recognition of the Wiimotes weaknesses, but nope. Executing the gestures with the Wiimote manages to be more difficult than with the Dual Shock.

The "shake to attack" thing is also quite error prone. Ammy sometimes just won't attack, no matter how much you swing the Wiimote around.

I might write a more complete review/rant later. But I had noticed that any mention of Clover Studios had been excised from the opening. Fortunately the little bonus clovers are still hidden around unchanged.

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
That's not so odd that they removed the existing dev team credits, but that they didn't replace it with different credits? I'm pretty sure I've seen many other ports and remakes lose credits.

I am sad that [Wii] Okami's controls suck so bad. I found the same to be true with Nights: journey into dreams, and gave up on using the Wiimote, and eventually gave up on the game. Is there an option in Okami to play with the classic controller?

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Bloody disgusting, that is: both that they excised themfrom the credits FOR THEIR OWN CREATION and that a game as utterly brilliant as Okami (in the same range as TS2, GTA:SA, BLACK, Burnout revenge etc i.e nearly fucking perfect) didn't sell enough to keep the company is business.

Shame on all you non-Okami buyers. HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME!!!!

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Can someone to tell Joe to stop smoking weed in The Escapist office? Its affecting their other staff members!

disappointment at the slight.
'Slight' or sight?

credits had to be removed carte blanche
There was a blank cheque in the credits!? Why do I not own this game!?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
It's worse than not mentionning Giger's work in the following alien films.
They just ported a whole game which was completely developped by Clover, and left their names out.
It's scandalous. Things need to change. That rule about logos is retarded.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Melaisis said:
Can someone to tell Joe to stop smoking weed in The Escapist office? Its affecting their other staff members!

disappointment at the slight.
'Slight' or sight?
In this context, 'slight' in its meaning of "deliberately overlook in order to insult or offend" is appropriate.

*points and laughs*

-- Steve

_daxter_

Jan 12, 2008
I tought there was something the IGDA wanted to do about this credit business in gerenal...