Lucas Launches Lawsuit Over Jedi Mind's Tricks

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lucas Launches Lawsuit Over Jedi Mind's Tricks

"Thought-control technology" company Jedi Mind Inc. has been slapped with a lawsuit by Star Wars [http://www.starwars.com] creator George Lucas over what would seem to be a fairly obvious case of trademark infringement.

"Jedi Mind, Inc. develops software for thought-controlled technologies, allowing the user to interact with the computer and other machines through the power of the mind," according to the company's Emotiv EPOC Neuroheadset [http://jedimindinc.com/], which detects brainwaves on both the "conscious and non-conscious level," Jedi Mind's software allegedly allows users to interact with their computers and control their games using only the power of their minds.

Jedi Mind, obviously, takes its name from the famous Force-wielding gang of do-gooders in the Star Wars franchise and as you might expect, that hasn't gone over well with the people behind it. LucasFilm [http://www.lucasfilm.com/] sent a cease-and-desist letter to Jedi Mind back in May 2009, leading CEO Brent Fouch to say he'd "phase out" use of the Jedi name. But nothing was done, resulting in a second C&D in September, yet the use of the name continued. Now it appears that George Lucas himself is tired of Jedi Mind's tricks.

Lucas has launched a $5 million lawsuit against the company, alleging that Jedi Mind is infringing upon his trademark. LucasFilm doesn't hold a trademark on "Jedi Mind" directly but it claims ownership of "all characteristics associated with the Jedi knights not memorialized in a registered trademark ... (including) Jedi robes, the lightsaber weapon, the power to levitate objects, a telepathic oneness with other Jedi and the universe, and the ability to shoot energy beams called 'Force Lightning' from the fingertips."

Jedi Mind currently makes three applications for use with the Emotiv headset: Think Tac Toe, Master Mind and Jedi Mouse, which allows users to "navigate the computer, click and double click to open programs, compose email and send with the power of their mind."

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67N18720100824?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FtechnologyNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Technology%29]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Coming from people who made (what I assume to be) such an amazing device, they really are quite stupid.

And before this thread devolves into people bashing George Lucas for being "greedy", remember what he actually does with his money. He has every right to protect what is copyrighted (or whatever it is) to him, and he takes no issue with non-profiteering projects that technically infringe on that.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
so i can't sell my prototype lightsaber unless Lucas gives me permission, well that sucks.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Wait, what? Lucas holds the trademark for levitating objects and shooting lightning? Can they do that?

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Sometimes though, Lucasarts can really be douches.

I get that they are protecting their IP, but still...come-on this must be almost common parlance by now.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Seriously, they wouldn't change the name of their company after two C & D letters? Lucas has already stated that he doesn't mind if people use Star Wars for non-profit projects, such as fan films, but he does have a grudge against people using it to make money. I just hope this thread doesn't devolve into a George hating frenzy, because he does have a point. These people are using his name to increase their notoriety, and I'm sure he doesn't like it, especially if their products are shoddy.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
carpathic said:
Sometimes though, Lucasarts can really be douches.

I get that they are protecting their IP, but still...come-on this must be almost common parlance by now.
Well, they sent the cease-and-desist letter, and the company SAID they would... but they didn't. I bet LucasArts simply cannot stand liars.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
"the power to levitate objects"

No Georgie, you do NOT hold the copywrite to that concept nor that power.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
FloodOne said:
Wait, what? Lucas holds the trademark for levitating objects and shooting lightning? Can they do that?
He can in the specific context of Jedi. It wouldn't affect, say, a fakir's levitation act, unless that fakir was claiming to be a Jedi.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Heh...cant have anyone touch there precious! =P Well, I suppose they should have expected it

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, the problem is two fold. a) Lucas owns the copyright to "Jedi", and would like some of your profits please and b) the two previous C&Ds was ample warning in anyone's book.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I can't say I blame Lucas on this one. I mean, they did send warnings with the company even saying they'll stop, yet they haven't. Just change the god damn name.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Quit getting your hideously swollen neck in a twist Lucas, you fucking pansy. Since when did you own the trademarks to mind control?

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
so i can't sell my prototype lightsaber unless Lucas gives me permission, well that sucks.
you can sell it, you just need to call it a Photonblade, er, not that cause then I'll sue you, then Sega will sue me. It's a big mess just come up with your own name.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Wait-wait-wait, isn't the bigger story that it's possible to control an electronic device WITH YOUR MIND?!?!

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
FloodOne said:
AAAAH read the article! Theyre not beins sued for thier products. They named the company JEDI MIND! So yeah if somone had some program that taught you to shoot lighting from your hands and called it, Force lightning, they'd be in trouble, name it anything else and your fine. Unless Lucas is also patent squating hand generated lightning.

Anything they end up paying should be filed under the stupid tax. That would be like a Iams coming out with a new pet food that can be used for dogs, cats, hampsters, fish, and birds, and calling it Pokemon chow.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
Quit getting your hideously swollen neck in a twist Lucas, you fucking pansy. Since when did you own the trademarks to mind control?
Read article! Suit is about them naming thier company "JEDI MIND"