Doctor Who Warps Onto Nintendo Consoles

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Doctor Who Warps Onto Nintendo Consoles

New Doctor Who games pit the Doctor and Amy against their deadliest foes on the DS and Wii.

With so much intersection between Doctor Who fans and gamers, it is frankly amazing that we haven't been drowned in licensed Who games for years. The show makers at BBC seem eager to finally change this fact. With two PC adventure episodes under its belt and a third on the way, the network has also announced that new Doctor Who adventures are on the way for the DS and Wii.

The DS game is entitled Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth, and the Wii release will be called Doctor Who: Return to Earth. Both games take place during the latest season of the show, with Evacuation Earth revolving around an attack by the deadly Daleks. Return to Earth, which presumably is a follow-up to the DS game, features the robotic Cybermen. The story of both games is being written with the help of the show's production team, and you will be able to play as both the Doctor and his human companion, Amy.

The two titles are being developed by Asylum Entertainment, a British studio responsible for a number of children's titles and licensed games. The studio's portfolio is of mixed quality, but it does have some Doctor Who experience - several members of Asylum's team previously worked on the 1998 PC game Destiny of the Doctors.

Both games are slated for release on October 29th in the UK and Australia. The odds of a US release are slightly lower than the PC adventures, due to the cost involved in finding a publisher and printing physical media, but fans outside Britain can still grab the games through Amazon UK [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Evacuation-Earth-Nintendo/dp/B0040JGNJE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282743987&sr=1-5].

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-25-new-doctor-who-games-for-ds-and-wii]

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Hmm...It would be good to get some use out of my wii. But I'll be sceptical until I see some reviews and/or footage.

Elfangorax

Aug 24, 2010
I used to have some respect for the BBC not sullying this series by cashing in on attempts at turning them into real games. Little PC episodes and flash games aren't a big deal, but this is just going to be awful.

I'll admit that it's possible these games will be good, but given the track record of big franchises being turned into games (particularly on Nintendo consoles), it isn't likely.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Epic! I want to see some reviews before I delve into it, but, I certainly wouldnt be against it!

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
gregoryg said:
The studio's portfolio is of mixed quality, but it does have some Doctor Who experience - several members of Asylum's team previously worked on the 1998 PC game Destiny of the Doctors.
You mean the game that was number 5 in PC Gamer UK's recent article "The 15 Worst Games Ever".
Yeah, that inspires confidence...

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
At least with the DS it'll play an imported game just fine. The Wii is region-locked, if I'm not mistaken, so unless one has an imported Wii (or a device to circumnavigate the lockout) it won't play outside the UK.

I liked the Doctor Who Top Trumps DS game (though it was heavier on Top Trumps, lighter on Doctor Who.)

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Elfangorax said:
I used to have some respect for the BBC not sullying this series by cashing in on attempts at turning them into real games. Little PC episodes and flash games aren't a big deal, but this is just going to be awful.
The PC adventure games may be episodic, and therefore shorter than most, but that doesn't mean they're any less of a "real game." And as a fan of adventure games in general, I thought they were rather good; the puzzles were clever and well balanced. They put me in mind of Dreamfall, and in some ways Beyond Good & Evil. My only complaints were the controls were a bit iffy, and some of the voice acting was missing.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Let's not get too excited here and look at the facts. Licensed games are generally shit. Games exclusive to the Wii are generally shit. FYI: the chances of this game being shit are very high.