Take-Two Loses Battle for Bioshock.com Domain

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take-Two Loses Battle for Bioshock.com Domain

Take-Two Interactive's [http://www.take2games.com/] legal effort to have the Bioshock.com domain name returned to it has ended much like Rapture itself: with a golf club upside the head.

Have you ever wondered why World Intellectual Property Organization [http://www.bioshock.com/] arbitration panel recently decided otherwise.

In order to force the transfer of the domain name, Take-Two had to prove that the website is "identical or confusingly similar" to a trademark held by the publisher, that Name Administration had no "legitimate interest" in the Bioshock site and that the site had been registered and was being used in bad faith. The panel found in favor of Take-Two on the first matter, agreeing that the Bioshock.com website was identical to Take-Two's trademark. But the wheels came off on the third point.

Name Administration registered the domain after rumors of the game, and the name, began to circulate in late 2004, but Take-Two didn't actually trademark the BioShock name until 2005, well after the domain registration took place. Further weakening the publisher's argument was the fact that "Bioshock" is not a term exclusive to Take-Two or to videogames in general, but "is also meaningful and used in a pharmaceutical and scientific research context." Pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson [http://www.jnj.com/] actually had an interest in the domain for a line of hand and skin cleanser, although it dropped the idea back in 2007.

Furthermore, although perhaps a bit hard to swallow, Name Administration denied that it was aware of the "blog chatter" surrounding the game prior to the domain name registration, noting that "[Take-Two's] announcement, in the form of an interview with the game designer who stated that he was developing a successor to a game published by Irrational Gaming which he intended to call BioShock, was not associated with [Take-Two] until 2005."

Bottom line is this: Take-Two didn't put a ring on it and now Bioshock.com is up in the club with gloss on its lips and a man on its hips, or something like that. However you want to put it, the panel decided to let things stand as they are, which means that unless Take-Two and Name Administration can come to some kind of deal, bioshock.com will remain out of reach. But if nothing else, maybe Take-Two has learned something from all this; BioshockInfinite.com [http://bioshock2.com/] is safely in the hands of Irrational.

Source: Gamer/Law [http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2010/08/take-two-loses-battle-over-bioshockcom.html]

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
It really should come down to whether or not you are actually using the site or not. Given this specific context; if the "squatter's" version of the site was a legit website that actually generates traffic with the purpose of using that site, then sure, let them keep it. But if the only purpose of the site is to be a placeholder with ads because people will show up there looking for something else, while you wait for your payday from the company that would want it, then they should have to turn it over, especially when the name of the site is the trademark of a company for a product they make.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson actually had an interest in the domain for a line of hand and skin cleanser, although it dropped the idea back in 2007.
That really stood out for me. xD So, Johnson & Johnson are working on Plasmids eh? Excellent, soon I shall shoot bees from my hands and my enemies shall quake! MUAAAAHAAAAA!! And all with silky smooth skin.

YourCriticism

Nov 9, 2009
I still think it shouldn't have been BioShock at all. But the name carries a lot of weight, so eh.
It's a leap like SystemShock to BioShock, so why not?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
It should have gone to Take-Two. The entire concept of cyber-squatting really bugs me. Depriving legitimate businesses of useful URLs for the sole purpose of misleading people into generating revenue is no way to run a company.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Bottom line is this: Take-Two didn't put a ring on it and now Bioshock.com is up in the club with gloss on its lips and a man on its hips, or something like that.
Did I mention I love you recently?

OT: That's unfortunate. They really should've gotten that copyright...

I have to ask though, what is the point of domain squatting? Is it just so they can eventually sell the domain to the people who want to for an insane price? If not, I just don't get it.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Squatters suck. I hope they send that Big Daddy from the super limited Ultimate Edition of Bioshock 2 to pay these guys a visit.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think this is one of those cases where it demonstrates that the laws governing intellectual properties internationally are messed up, and the organization enforcing those laws is ineffective. But then again if you've ever followed some of the patent battles with China and so on, you probably already knew this.

"Bioshock" is a small matter, but I personally think a lot of the seeds that are going to cause the next world war are going to come from this issue.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
While this isa an obviuous attempt for Name administration to cash in on Bioshock's poplarity, and I hate them for it. They did get the name before Irrational did, so unfortunately nothing they have done is illegal; unethical yes, but not illegal.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats a shame...but, ah well. I am sure theu will be able to make replacements...I mean, its only a name

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Good; shouldn't be able to nick websites like that, unless you can prove they took it precisely because they saw the trademark.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I f**king hate sites like bioshock.com (the squatters, not the game-making ones). I couldn't even begin to count all the times I've ended up at escapistamagazine.com
There should be laws against them specifically.