New IPs Mean More Than Consoles Sold, Says Sony Worldwide

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New IPs Mean More Than Consoles Sold, Says Sony Worldwide

There's "nothing more gratifying" than launching a new IP, says the boss of Sony's European studios.

It's not just the number of consoles you sell that matters, the games you make for those consoles is just as - if not more - important. That's the view taken by Michael Denny, head of the European branch of Sony Worldwide Studios, the umbrella organization for Sony's first party developers.

Denny said that there were a lot of metrics to measure success, but he found nothing as satisfying as breaking an innovative new IP. He used Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282927873&sr=8-1] as an example, saying that Sony had taken a risk with the game and there had been a lot of questions about whether it would stand up on its own. That risk had been worth it, however, as shown by the very positive reaction it received when it was released. "I think that what that game's delivered is fantastic," he said. "It's not only new IP, but I think it's created a new genre. [It's had] not only great critical acclaim, but great commercial success as well."

Denny's attitude probably isn't shared by those who sit at the very top of the Sony hierarchy, for whom IPs would be just one aspect in a much wider view. Considering his position and relationship to the developers though, his seeming fondness for new ideas should provoke at least cautious optimism in many gamers.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261957?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I totally agree! A console can't sell without good games to start with!

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Good to see a man with some influence in the business advocating new IPs them ore new IPs means more new innovation and less churned out brown spacemarine halo clones.

Not sure how much it will help overall but the more people who promote this the better

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
How many consoles in the past get sold because they are bundled with certain games? This guy knows his beans and the hierarchy would be better off letting him have his say.
Frankly I was thinking when Heavy Rain was beginning to really get attention that a lot of people were gonna buy a PS3 just to try that game. I would have if I had that kinda change burning a hole in my pocket.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Ah well...one can dream that people such as this will continue to exist in the industry. Maybe with their influence the bigwigs might get convinced to break their franchises more often rather than relying on them to bring them nothing other than big moolah and content repetition.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I agree, but what we also need is a wider breadth of genres as well. We can't keep the games industry afloat on nothing but shooters.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its always nice to see something fresh work though, as it is a break from the norm, and accepted

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Never would have guessed that good exclusives to a console would help that consoles sales...

Apr 28, 2008
This would explain how Sony seems to be constantly pushing new IP's. Which is awesome.

Infamous, Resistance, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword, LittleBigPlanet, Modnation Racers, MAG...

Sure some are more successful than others, and most are are getting sequels themselves, but at least they try.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
psrdirector said:
first party developers are becoming the main reason you buy a consol, i soon hope the era of third party exclusives ends for ever.
i dont. Third Party exclusives are usualy better than if they were developed for both consoles. this is due to the developer not having to make his game work on 2 different hardware specs, allowing him to get the most power and the better game from that one console.

also because most games are designed from the trivial amount of processing power that the 360 has and so arnt as good as if they made the most of Sony's "monolithic black colossus".

same point for the 360's online functions.

hell Infamous on the 360 would have been awful as it was the Cell Processor that allowed so many different animations on Cole at once.

just as Fable would have been worse on the PS3 because... um... well i cant think of a reason but im sure there is one.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
psrdirector said:
snip for brevity.
* cough* fable is first party *cough*
Realy? wow. well think of a third party 360 exclusive that would be worse in some way on the PS3 then. (dont just say Xbox live becaue PSN is almost as good and its FREE)

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
Bravo my friend. Too many developers are trying to revive old franchises in an effort to squeeze money out of the fans. Making new IPs, on the other hand, can attract a whole new set of fans to squeeze money out of.
Hopefully, Microsoft will realize this soon. The taste of Halo is getting stale T_T

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
vallorn said:
psrdirector said:
snip for brevity.
* cough* fable is first party *cough*
Realy? wow. well think of a third party 360 exclusive that would be worse in some way on the PS3 then. (dont just say Xbox live becaue PSN is almost as good and its FREE)
Dead or Alive 4.