BioWare: Dragon Age 2 Has Plenty of Choices

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare: Dragon Age 2 Has Plenty of Choices

There might be less choice at the beginning of Dragon Age 2, but BioWare's Ray Muzyka says that the game makes up for it later.

Unlike its predecessor, you won't be able to play as a Dwarf or an Elf in Dragon Age 2. In fact, you won't be able to play as anyone other than human refugee-turned-champion Hawke, and you'll only get to pick your class and gender. But BioWare boss Muzyka says that despite this more limited beginning, there would be plenty of decisions for players to make in Dragon Age 2.

Muzkya called Dragon Age 2 a "first-person narrative" from the perspective of Hawke, saying that the game had been built around Hawke being human, and that BioWare made up for the constraints in character choice with "a lot of other choices" later on. He said that telling a more specific story allowed for it to be more polished and for BioWare to do some "cool things" with the flow of the narrative. He added that the game would not lack for diversity, as there would be plenty of variety in the characters you recruited to your cause.

Some people are already annoyed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102071-Dragon-Age-Writer-Suggests-That-Everyone-Just-Calm-Down] over the reported differences between the first and second game, and it's unclear whether Muzyka's comments will reassure them or just upset them further. It's probably worth mentioning that while previous BioWare games may have let you define your character to a greater degree, you've always been someone very specific - like the child of an evil god or the last Spirit Monk - and in that respect Dragon Age 2 isn't very different at all.

Dragon Age 2 is released on March 8th in America and March 11th in Europe.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/29/dragon-age-2-a-lot-of-other-choices-make-up-for-single-player-race-says-dr-ray/]

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
As long as the armors and weapons will be epic-looking instead of silly, it sounds good to me.
And I want many easter eggs. Many. Like, a lot.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I'm not annoyed at all about the whole race thing, as long as the game is good then i'm happy. BioWare hasn't dissapointed me yet.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I don't mind not being able to choose race or last name. It worked in Mass Effect, and if that will help to create even more personalized story it's a good decision in my eyes. In DA:O you were forced into becoming a Warden no matter how silly were your choices, so here i am hoping that DA2 will provide more consequence having a character set up beforehand.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
My personal ire stems from the fact that Dragon Age was a return towards the "old" style of making roleplaying games, where the player had a lot of options in customizing their character. I can't help but think that Bioware is moving Dragon Age closer towards Mass Effect with this choice, and personally I liked them both for different reasons. Mass Effect was a tight, well-told personal narrative while Dragon Age was more of a traditional hero epic.

I am not worried about Hawke being a bad character or Dragon Age 2 lacking options. I am worried that the simplified combat will make Dragon Age 2 into Medieval Effect.

darksky

Jun 8, 2010
Bioware is one of the best companies for RPGs, so I put my complete faith in that they know what they are doing.
Don't let us down, Bioware.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
It isn't the choices that make the game, It is the impact those choices have on the situation and the story.

More choices isn't all that good, if it means the story isn't up to a standard or the gameplay struggles.

I refuse to get exited, until I hear something concrete about improvements to mistakes made in the first game.

Bioware rarely lets down, but Dragon Age 1 was halfway there. Please let this be a step away from disappointment, instead of another towards it.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I actually like this. The main character in Origins didn't seem to have any personality.

Plus, it seems like it's closer to Mass Effect now, which is always a plus to me.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Gethsemani said:
I am not worried about Hawke being a bad character or Dragon Age 2 lacking options. I am worried that the simplified combat will make Dragon Age 2 into Medieval Effect.
As far as i understand all the info we got so far about DA2, the simplified combat will mostly affect console version of the game, to make it more pad-friendly. PC version will still have full tactical combat.

Apr 28, 2008
SODAssault said:
As long as they include some decent magi hats this time around, I'm sold.
Agreed. Less dunce caps and napkins please.

OT: The only thing that really bothers me is the dialog system. I liked Origin's. I was able to imagine my character speaking in the voice of Stephan Fry. Plus I fear some of the more silly and funny dialog choices won't happen, due to less dialog choices and voice acting constraining things. Not to mention what this could do to mods, if there's even mod support in this one.

Apr 19, 2010
Gethsemani said:
I am worried that the simplified combat will make Dragon Age 2 into Medieval Effect.
And I was worried that they would keep the same combat system and that I would be constantly reminded of how World of Warcraft had done it so much better, again. If they make the gameplay better and keep the apparent epicness of the original I'll enjoy it.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Day one purchase for me. My only wish, as a PS3-owning UK resident, is that they don't put any expansion packs out as DLC-only and have the cheek to charge £32.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Keava said:
Gethsemani said:
As far as i understand all the info we got so far about DA2, the simplified combat will mostly affect console version of the game, to make it more pad-friendly. PC version will still have full tactical combat.
Well from what i understand from the BioWare forums is that they want the same combat has DA:O but to be more responsive.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
I don't mind their decision. If they are going to make it more like Mass Effect, I think that is a good thing.

There has yet to be a Bioware game that disappointed me, so far Dragon Age 2 sounds like a game I'll enjoy.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Keava said:
Gethsemani said:
Well from what i understand from the BioWare forums is that they want the same combat has DA:O but to be more responsive.
Basically combat stayed the same. But now animations are a lot better, more messy kills and characters quickly run/jump towards enemy when you issue order instead of walking.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
And that means it's an RPG right? Just like Mass Effect 2 right? Oh wait, that was barely an RPG. Fucking Bioware have sucked since KOTOR. The dialogue "choices" will mostly play out in the exact same way no matter what you say and the "OMG big decisions" will do nothing more than supply a crappy written exposition which don't influence the game world at all.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
So wait...do you just get two generic human characters and pick between them (Like Resi 5) or can we still build our own characters, they just have to be human?

As long as I can still make odd looking faces by sliding bars I'm happy enough. And it will be nice to have a name in cut-scenes this time rather than being "Warden" all the time.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Gethsemani said:
My personal ire stems from the fact that Dragon Age was a return towards the "old" style of making roleplaying games, where the player had a lot of options in customizing their character. I can't help but think that Bioware is moving Dragon Age closer towards Mass Effect with this choice, and personally I liked them both for different reasons. Mass Effect was a tight, well-told personal narrative while Dragon Age was more of a traditional hero epic.

There was a nail here, and I do believe you hit it on the head.