Question of the Day, August 31, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, August 31, 2010

A StarCraft movie isn't exactly in the works, but Blizzard says they would be all for it if Avatar director James Cameron worked on it. Would you go see a StarCraft movie? Whose storyline are you most interested in? How would you continue the story?

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
My favorites part of the Star Craft story have been the manipulation, cohering unlikely alliances and back stabbing during the Brood Wars. As a pivotal moment the mission where Kerrigan shows her true face by slathering Edmond Duke and Fenix. This story carries al the intricacies of spy move and evil character and while the ending is grim I think it carries enough passion to make it a memorable movie.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
I chose Sarah Kerrigan, she is pretty much the Beacon of the Starcraft universe. While having never read any of the Starcraft books, the story telling in the first starcraft game is... Sub-par at best, for example in Starcraft 1.

In the Terran Campaign, there isn't really any romance between her and Raynor, but it is hinted at throughout the dialogue between the 2 characters, they even hint at Kerrigans past in the level where she gets kidnapped by the Zerg.

"I know about your past, I mean, I've heard the rumors. I know you were part of those studies with the zerg, that Mengsk came and saved you, but you don't owe him this! Heck I've saved your butt plenty of times!"

"Jimmy drop the knight in shining armor routine! It suits you sometimes... Just not... Not now..."

That piece of dialogue right there hints at the bond between the 2 characters, and hints at Kerrigans past, which I think would make an interesting movie to see what all happened with Kerrigan before she was introduced in SC1.

It would introduce the Zerg to everyone who doesn't know the storyline to Starcraft, and ease them into the complexity of psi emitters and how/why they worked, and the rest of us get to know Kerrigan a bit more as a human.

Raynor on the other hand, played the part of appearing as the "Normal every day guy who we can relate to since he is learning about what's going on at the same time we do." So if Starcraft were to work as a movie, he would probably have to play that part again, but I think it may come off as idolizing him considering in Starcraft 2 you pretty much play AS him.

Mengsk is an interesting choice, because I've always longed for them to make more movies where the "Bad guy" is the main focus of the story, but I don't feel that it would work in Starcrafts case. Unless of course they do what I said they should do with Kerrigan, show how he became leader of the Sons of Korhal and how he met Kerrigan and all that.

Edmund Duke is too unlikable of a character to have a movie made about him. He was in Starcraft to be an unlikable character to hide Mengsk's true side until the time was right in the story to shock the player into realizing they've been jipped.

If the movie were to follow the Protoss side of things (Unlikely because for some reason story tellers and directors feel the need to make a relatable human the main focus point to ease the viewer into the fantasy of the story.) Then I feel Fenix would be an interesting character to follow, either that or Tassadar so we could see what all he has been doing while he was "missing."

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
While Sarah would probably be the best focusing point for story i suppose Mengsk perspective would offer a different point of view on the whole story . To rarely we get to see how the plot unfolds from the 'bad guys' side.

That said however, if such movie would be about as 'good' as the storyline of SC2 i'd rather have them not do anything at all and save us all from worst kind of cliche dressed in a famous franchise name to just cash in.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
never played SC2. so i vote for a movie based around a random zergling, preferably one that gets killed quiclky.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I'm going with Tassadar. He reunited the Protoss Factions and allied with the Terrans to fight the Zerg horde and eventually destroy the first Overmind.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
How can I not vote for Kerrigan?
Also, please don't get James Cameron for a StarCraft movie. Get someone better.

May 23, 2010
Would anybody else like to see a collaberation between Gilliam and Someone-More-Adept-At-Bits-Of-Action to make a 40k movie surrounding the imperial guard... but with the system of the Impirium as the villain? THAT'S what I'd like to see.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
I said Mengsk. I can see his storyline in a movie presenting itself like a sort of Shakespearean tragedy. As much as I love Kerrigan for her role in Starcraft (and being possibly the most awesome/badass woman in gaming), I think to follow her as the central character would be a lil disappointing. Following Mengsk, you meet all the central characters one way or another, but there's still an air of mystery surrounding characters like Kerrigan. Having her (and Jim I suppose) come back to haunt his new glory would just be an awesome, shattering experience for him. Interesting to see how he'd deal with it outside the spotlight.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Kerrigan. AKA "Starcraft's one interesting character".

Duh.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I chose "other" for Professor Jacob Jefferson Ramsey. I seriously considered following Mengsk's story (in a fashion similar to the book I, Mengsk), and also thought of touching on Kerrigan, but the Prof is one of my favorite characters.

Not only that, but his story is (for the time being) contained in a trilogy of books. That would help set things up perfectly for a movie trilogy. And the story would have everything. Lore, sympathizing with our fellow man, action, spaceships, explosions, a sexy female character, and lots of cool alien things.

Okay, so maybe I'm not that great at describing it, but I still think this movie would work best. Christie Golden did a great job, and she could be used to help write the script (I'd be interesting how they include the inner monologues between Jacob and Zamara).

Zuljeet

Jan 14, 2010
I want a story on the guy in the cantina saying "I ain't werkin. ah'm drinkin." The Kerrigans, Raynors, etc. are all getting their stories covered (or in Kerrigan's case covered to death) in the games. Give us someone nobody knows much about who has to deal with the fallout of the wars, callous decisions, and power-grubbing that goes on in the Starcraft universe.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan's point of view would be interesting.
A 'monster movie' from the perspective of the 'monsters'.
You don't see a lot of that.

Stormpigeon

Nov 22, 2009
I think the Terran campaign from Starcraft 1 would be a great film. Following Raynor, the idealist rebel who fights against the system and falls in love, only to realise at the end the man he's been fighting for is the same evil as he's been fighting against, and the price he has to pay for this realisation is the women he fell in love with.
Beautifully tragic, epic story, and some kick-ass missions where swarms of zerg descend on planets, blow up everything in sight and then get burned into dust by a Protoss war fleet.

The problem with this is that they'd either have to rethink how to do a sequel, or follow the zerg campaign. And that would be really hard, since all the characters are giant psychic worms.

Also;
Clearly, Tassadar has failed us

amendele

Aug 25, 2008
I would say Nova but if Keith R.A. DeCandido's novelization is made into a movie I will buy a hat just for the purpose of choking on it.

My vote would be for the backstory of Zeratul. What led him to become a Dark Templar and what continues to drive him to this day would be an interesting story to look into. However, it would probably be too exotic for most audiences without some douchebag playing a token human inserted somewhere in the middle.