LucasArts Axes Staff

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
LucasArts Axes Staff

A shift in focus has resulted in a number of LucasArts staff being shown the door.

Staff cuts were announced at LucasArts yesterday, following a reshuffling of its resources. While exact figures aren't known, reports suggest that around 30 percent of LucasArts staff has been let go.

In a statement, LucasArts said that it wanted to make its internal studio "first class," and was reorganizing its teams in order to achieve that goal. This meant that staffing levels had to be "adjusted." These cuts come just weeks after rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102860-Rumor-Force-Unleashed-3-Cancelled-and-Staff-Axed] that new LucasArts President Paul Meegan planned to drop several members of the Force Unleashed team and stop any external development of LucasArts properties.

Without a lot more information, we can only speculate on what this means for LucasArts in the future. The studio clearly wants to focus on in-house development, but whether that will be instead of external development, or in addition to it isn't clear. LucasArts' statement does make mention of "fostering relationships with trusted external partners," but it could just refer to middleware providers like NaturalMotion [http://naturalmotion.com/], whose Euphoria engine was used in the Force Unleashed games.

Source: GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/216332/lucasarts-confirms-staff-layoffs/]

Feb 13, 2008
I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of great imaginings cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of great imaginings cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
Haha. Very nice.

Well - Hoping they all land on there feet - Never a god sign is a studio needs to chop staff...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Win.

OT: I thought LucasArts had given up making good games anyway? Isn't it all just Force Unleashed and Lego nowadays? Though Battlefront 3 has me excited...

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
Win.

OT: I thought LucasArts had given up making good games anyway? Isn't it all just Force Unleashed and Lego nowadays? Though Battlefront 3 has me excited...
There's a battlefront 3 being made?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?

Salith

Jan 27, 2009
LucasArts still makes games? Thought they only existed these days to milk Star Wars to death, inch by slow inch.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
And LucasArts' credibility got thrown out the door with them. Yet another example of how a change in management fucks everything up.

wickedpt

Mar 23, 2009
Serves them right for ditching the PC platform by not launching Force Unleashed. I'm never gonna buy a LucasArts product ever again.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
rabidmidget said:
SonicWaffle said:
Win.

There's a battlefront 3 being made?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?
I don't know, I found out while searching google for a pre-owned Battlefront 2. I'm pretty sure it's happening, but I don't think it has a release date yet...

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Am I the only one not particularly concerned with this?

I mean, I'm sorry for the people fired, but Lucasarts has been going nowhere but down lately... Is it REALLY a bad thing that they're getting massive internal changes? Can it honestly get any worse than that pile of poorly concocted tripe that was Force Unleashed?

They're already at rock bottom... They can't honestly go lower. Maybe they'll start going up again. You know, making good Star Wars games, and good games that aren't necessarily tied to "One Hit Wonder" George's breast feeding machine.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Salith said:
LucasArts still makes games? Thought they only existed these days to milk Star Wars to death, inch by slow inch.
Looks like they've installed a milking machine to maximise PROFITSSSS.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
But...but...the best Star Wars games were externally developed.

KOTOR 1 and 2!!!!!!!!!

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Salith said:
And that's all they're going to make now it seems.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
...stop any external development of LucasArts properties.
This had better not mean they're going to take Monkey Island and Sam & Max away from Telltale, or I will have to murder someone.