Dead Rising 2 Producer Wants to Knock Resident Evil Down a Peg

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dead Rising 2 Producer Wants to Knock Resident Evil Down a Peg

Capcom's Keiji Inafune has high hopes for Dead Rising 2, but isn't letting himself become overconfident.

Capcom has a lot of experience when it comes to zombie games. Over the last fourteen years, the Resident Evil series has sold tens of millions of games and holds the top spot as Capcom's number one IP. But Inafune isn't content with this status quo, and hopes to boot Resident Evil down to number two with a zombie game of his own.

According to Inafune, it is impossible to make a good game without a really big goal to strive for, so the target for Dead Rising [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Rising-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002EE5ROO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283454462&sr=8-1] is hardly a lightweight either: The first game sold in excess of a million copies and the sequel is bigger, grander and - perhaps crucially - will be available on three times as many platforms.

But despite his goals, Inafune says that a third Dead Rising game isn't a sure thing just yet. "Until Dead Rising 2 sells we probably can't start talking about spin-offs," he said. "If it's received pretty well, yes we would consider a sequel. But at the moment we just don't know."

Dead Rising 2 is coming out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 later this month.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-02-capcom-aims-high-with-dead-rising-2]

May 23, 2010
Wacky, interesting, 'fun', zombies... why yes this is my kind of game.
If they keep on expanding, here's hoping for more sequels to come - perhaps the 3rd could have a Zombie Master mode?

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Having played DeadRising for the first time ever three days ago, I have to say I'm eager to play the second one.
I want to see how they top Adam the clown.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
More shower heads in zombie heads, hooray!

I loved the first game, and I'm probably one of the few people who didn't mind the save system (it made sense in the context of the game). I hope there's a lawn mower in Dead Rising 2 because I love that in the first one.

Hopefully it at leas approaches Resident Evil, because it's a boatload of fun, and nothing is better than killing a zombie with a shower head.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Do want to play this, will wait for it come down in price first...but, if there is something people love its the death...well re-death of zombies!

Jun 11, 2008
Well why don't we get someone over a Capcom to make an actual Horror IP again and not just an IP with Horror Aspects and that isn't really scary.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Resident Evil is it's own worst enemy. I'm not saying Dead Rising 2 shouldn't try being the best game it can be but, Resident Evil has been on the downslope for a while now. Resident Evil 4 was supposedly the best of them (have not played it). Resident Evil 5 wasn't even really about zombies (assuming your view of a zombie is strictly conservative: slow, dead and, unable to use tools or climb over stuff).

I've gone through Case Zero and can't wait for the full Dead Rising 2 ^___________^

Kroker

May 29, 2008
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero felt like a vast improvement upon the original; which I already consider to be amazing itself. Resident Evil 5 on the other hand felt underwhelmingly average. Personally, I think Dead Rising 2 deserves to take the throne.

Zeromaeus said:
Two words. Slappy Happerday.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Kroker said:
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero felt like a vast improvement upon the original; which I already consider to be amazing itself. Resident Evil 5 on the other hand felt underwhelmingly average. Personally, I think Dead Rising 2 deserves to take the throne.

Zeromaeus said:
Two words. Slappy Happerday.
Looks promising. As much as I love RE, DR deserves a chance at becoming big. Not that I think either game classifies as horror, though. More like shooty happy fun time with zombies.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
After playing Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, I put in my preorder for Dead Rising 2. At Gamestop, so I could get a ninja suit. I probably would have bought it anyway, at some point, but the XBLA intro is just fantastic.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
I don't think taking RE down a peg will be very hard, considering RE is already doing that all by itself.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Well this is a good goal. I mean when I think zombie game I think about Resident Evil. To knock down Resident Evil would be a great achievment.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGd0gD0QNE

If RE gets its head out of its ass and can redo the Solid Gold of IV they could stay on top

and stop those live action movies....

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Well if we're talking about what Resident Evil is now, there are a lot of games that could out-do it. Five was good gameplay wise, but the storyline was one of the worst I have ever seen in a game. And again, resident evil fours gameplay was awesome, and although the storyline wasn;t as bad as fives, it still wasn't good. So yeah I reckon Dead Rising could overtake Resident Evil as the main Zombie Game. I played the first one and it was pritty good, and you never get bored of it! And Case Zero leaves me in high hopes for number 2!

However, I don't really think you can compare Dead Rising to the older, survial horro style resident evil games. Because they're completely different... They're also, in my opinion better!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Umm... I doubt you'll knock RE down a peg unless DR2 stops making weapons wear down after 4 hits. My biggest complaint about the first Dead Rising was the weapon breakage. I can understand wear and tear after a long time, but some of the stuff I picked up broke after a few swings.

But, I can't help but want to buy Dead Rising 2 since (weapon breakage aside) I really enjoyed the first one.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
It's coming to PC and PS3 without a demo, are they really expect good sales or it's usual bragging? A lot of games coming out soon...