Pachter Predicts $100 Xbox Live "Platinum" Membership

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Pachter Predicts $100 Xbox Live "Platinum" Membership

Hot on the heels of recent Xbox Live price hikes, industry analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that Microsoft will soon roll out a $100 "premium" subscription plan.

Microsoft Xbox Live [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103114-Microsoft-Ups-Price-For-Xbox-Live-Subscription] Gold memberships earlier this week, taking the annual subscription rate in the U.S. from $49.99 to $59.99. Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news) but there's probably more to come, according to Pachter, who believes that Microsoft is gearing up to roll out a new, higher-priced premium subscription tier.

"The extra $10 [from the price increase] translates to around $100 - $150 million per year in additional revenue for Microsoft. I think that they will reinvest at least this much in developing other new applications, and will roll out a premium service with $100 - $200 million worth of enhancements," he told IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/xbox-live-likely-to-see-100-platinum-service-next-says-pachter/]. "If they can get two million users to switch from the $60 plan to the $100 plan, they'll make an extra $80 million a year and can keep investing to try to grow that business."

What could Microsoft offer to attract members to the new plan? Pachter said a "Platinum plan" could include exclusive items for use in Microsoft games and possibly more advanced media center applications. "If members could get specialized Halo armor or weapons worth the extra $40, they might be more willing to sign up, and it doesn't really cost Microsoft anything to offer things like that," he said. He even suggested that Microsoft could make a deal with Apple to allow 360 owners to manage their iTunes accounts through their consoles.

$100 a year may seem steep, especially if you're in a twist over the jump to $60 for the Gold membership, but when you consider what else you could get with the eight bucks a month it works out to - a pack of smokes, a cheap lunch, three or four decent cups of coffee - it's hardly an outrageous sum. Pachter's prediction, which echoes statements he made Eurogamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95558-Pachter-Xbox-Live-Gold-Will-Get-More-Expensive] that Microsoft is "likely to introduce a premium Xbox Live offering at a higher price point than existing subscription options."

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm not sure what scares me more. The fact that he thinks Microsoft would do this, or the fact that there are people who would actually pay this.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Oh, thank god for the PS3's free online. Sure it's not quite as good as XBL but I'd rather go cheap as a student.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
cursedseishi said:
"Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news)"

Thats a good joke... specially since 50$ a year ain't worth it when all I want is to play online, and none of the other shit they force onto me that I never use... and the same goes with the 60$ plan as well...

And Pachter needs to shut his trap before he gives Microsoft any ideas.

And yes, while it works out to 8 a month, it isn't. Its a 100$ sum paid all at once, just like the 60$ a year isn't actually 5$ a month. If it was, people wouldn't care as much then.
It can be, the changed it a while back so you can pay monthly or quarterly or what have you.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Meh, I've kept a free silver membership since I bought my 360 a few years ago and I get along just fine; I've never seen any justifiable reason for me to upgrade to gold (well except that one time they released the arkham asylum demo to only gold members and they had a super cheap deal for 3 months time)

If Microsoft wants to up their prices or add a 3rd tier of benefits I say go for it. I'd sign up for it if it meant I never had to buy Microsoft points again.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
As a reluctant Xbox Live Gold subscriber, I can confirm that I would NOT be willing to pay the UK £ equivalent of $40 extra a year for just a few pieces of armour and weapons on Halo and some randon media enhancement which I never use in the first place!

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
What annoys me is that, as much as we push the argument "If we just stop buying it, they'll stop making it", we all know that somewhere, out there, someone's gonna actually pay for this.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Cant really see what they can offer to really want to make people go Platinum...would seem a lil, much

Sep 14, 2009
oh god, if they do that deal with itunes and apple..it'll for sure jump to 100 dollars, steve jobs will be all over that one in a heartbeat.

whenever i get bored with halo reach is probably when ill be done with xbox live, its getting quite ridiculous and im sick of paying for nearly nothing outside of a user friendly interface

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
Oh, thank god for the PS3's free online. Sure it's not quite as good as XBL but I'd rather go cheap as a student.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Sony is planning on making their online service cost money. Not sure how much or when yet but they will. (-_-)

OT: Please don't give them any ideas. They might make it so that online play is only on platinum It is bad enough as it is already mister Patcher.

I hope nobody goes to this platinum. It will give Microsoft a swift kick in the balls that is entirely nessescary.

Edit: Okay, okay I get it already. I didn't know of PSN+ or whatever as I don't have a PS3 and I heard a rumor of it on Gamespot on one of their headlines about 4 weeks ago and I never looked into it recently. Thank you for that information, but please stop quoting me on this and telling me about PSN+. Seven people have already done so.

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
TONIGHT, ON PACHTER WATCH

We should just give him his own column here, the rate this guy shoots out predictions.

Kingemoney

Dec 5, 2009
My reaction: meh. So long as this suggested price jump is optional, I really don't care. I'm really surprised they don't already have a "platinum" to go along with silver and gold.

cschraer

Jul 14, 2010
I think they need to get off the idea of "Gold" and "Platinum" and whatever other metal type of membership they want to come up with. In my opinion they should scale the price according to the service you get. If you simply want online play, pay this much. For every extra feature you want to add, pay a little more.

Either that or make a basic subscription metal (copper) simply give access to online play, and nothing else. That way most of us, who only use the online play, could pay for the service we use and nothing more.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Even in the very stupid possibility that they do this, there would have to be a HUMONGOUS benefit for this whole Platinum thing.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Xbox had a diamond membership that they dropped a while ago, I had the card somewhere all it really did was get you discounts at stores you dont go to.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Xbox Live has already lost my interest in terms of paying to use it, I'm not going to start paying more money for what would undoubtedly be more pointless things. Then again, Microsoft will probably just make online play only available to Platinum members so people are forced to pay.