Critical Miss: #32

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
You know I try to understand these comics, truly I try. I get the obscure references, I am up to date on video game news. And yet still I am bested. Where have I gone so wrong?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
they realy should lay off the second hand market.
i think that the business model proposed a while back on here would work.

Apr 28, 2008
One thing that confuses me is why are they complaining about the second-hand market all of a sudden? They didn't do this shit a year ago, why now?

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Irridium said:
One thing that confuses me is why are they complaining about the second-hand market all of a sudden? They didn't do this shit a year ago, why now?
Maybe it's because of people freaking out over piracy. With the average consumer thinking piracy is ruining the industry (whatever industry that is) if a game developer reveals that they don't make any money from used games, it might make the consumer feel like a pirate?
I dunno really, that's just a guess.

Apr 28, 2008
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Irridium said:
Maybe it's because of people freaking out over piracy. With the average consumer thinking piracy is ruining the industry (whatever industry that is) if a game developer reveals that they don't make any money from used games, it might make the consumer feel like a pirate?
So essentially they're making consumers feel like criminals for using their money smartly in a crappy economy?

Fuck publishers.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Blue-State said:
For every game you buy used, an orphan goes without a toy. Can you live with that?
Why is Penny wearing a gas mask?
I suspect that she (or is it he?) might be crazy.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Mr Companion said:
You know I try to understand these comics, truly I try. I get the obscure references, I am up to date on video game news. And yet still I am bested. Where have I gone so wrong?
She is just drawing a comparison from the used VG industry to the used car industry. The Car industry made brakes an option similiar to how EA made the UFC games multiplayer. Made me smirk. Nice job!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
One request: Could we perhaps cut back on the liberal use of the black box of death by eye strain?

Otherwise, another good comic.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I think the only issue with this as an analogy is that used cars can still be bought from a licensed dealer and then the car company will get some money for it. if <insert your local game store of choice. had to pay something to the games industry when they sold a used game as well as new games then it would work then the only way to buy without a dev/publisher seein the money would be through e-bay, cex or amazon partner sales.

Also with the current state of motor companies these days they may have some argument that the used market DOES affect the comanies who create the product

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Irridium said:
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Irridium said:
So essentially they're making consumers feel like criminals for using their money smartly in a crappy economy?

Fuck publishers.
Yeah, it's pretty fucked up... I trade in game and buy used all the time. I'm just making good use of my money and if I'm not playing a game anymore, why the hell shold I let it sit around my basement all my life?

What I didn't get is the retarded facts about Penny and Nathan Fillion's toe nails. I mean, I'm a fan of Nathan Fillion, but reading this comic going on about his reproductive organs and pictures of him having sex with everything makes me shudder when I see him now.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Deofuta said:
Mr Companion said:
She is just drawing a comparison from the used VG industry to the used car industry. The Car industry made brakes an option similiar to how EA made the UFC games multiplayer. Made me smirk. Nice job!
Actually they were poking a hole in that logic and mocking forums for refusing to listen to the flaws in it.

Look at multiplayer (not manditory for a game no matter how much you believe it is) as akin to the manufacturers waranty for a car. You buy the car used you don't get the waranty you have to pay for service to the car.

Customer: Fix my car.
Ford: What's your plate (Gets info) okay, that's going to be $500 to fix it.
Customer: But I just bought it, don't you cover it for a year?
Ford: If you bought it from us, yes. But you didn't so $500.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
Look at multiplayer (not manditory for a game no matter how much you believe it is) as akin to the manufacturers waranty for a car. You buy the car used you don't get the waranty you have to pay for service to the car.

Customer: Fix my car.
Ford: What's your plate (Gets info) okay, that's going to be $500 to fix it.
Customer: But I just bought it, don't you cover it for a year?
Ford: If you bought it from us, yes. But you didn't so $500.
Multiplayer not mandatory?. It depends on the game. And public dedis and LAN should be mandatory too, but that's another drama.

Your conversation should go like this:

Customer: Hey, the brakes don't work. I just bought the car and they did work perfectly.
Ford: Yeah. Whenever we detect a change in ownership, the brakes stop working. That will be $500, thank you.

What's the solution?. Fuck Ford. Don't buy again from them.

Daelda

Apr 6, 2010
The easy solution to the used game market, in my opinion, is DLCs. Keep making them and selling them. They don't transfer with the physical copy of the game, so the new owner has to purchase them for herself. The company thus makes more money. But DON'T gimp what is ON THE BOX! If it comes with the game, it comes with the game. After purchase add-ons are a different beast altogether.

I am poor. I'm not going to mince words about it. Stopping me from getting working used games won't send me to buy a bunch of new games. It will make me get more out of the games I already have and become more picky about the new games I *do* buy. How is the re-playability? Does it allow for player modding? Is it a game that I am going to blast through in a week? Or will it take me a good deal longer? Heck, really, this practice will mostly drive me towards MMOs more than anything. Cost per hour of play, MMOs are among the cheapest games out there. So, ya, you want to kill off things like single-player games? This is a *great* strategy. Otherwise...not-so-much.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
paketep said:
Multiplayer not mandatory?. It depends on the game. And public dedis and LAN should be mandatory too, but that's another drama.

Your conversation should go like this:

Customer: Hey, the brakes don't work. I just bought the car and they did work perfectly.
Ford: Yeah. Whenever we detect a change in ownership, the brakes stop working. That will be $500, thank you.

What's the solution?. Fuck Ford. Don't buy again from them.
Fair enough and that would be a choice to make, but I find the flaw in the brake argument as the difference between a core feature and access to service. The brake thing would work if a used game disabled the attack or jump function (both critical). Instead they make you pay for access to the online system, something that requires constant upkeep, much like a service contract for the car that includes oil changes as well as fixing broken problems.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
haha usually I'm not too big on critical miss but this one gave me a good chuckle. Well done!