Machete vs. The Expendables

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Machete vs. The Expendables

It's a B-movie shootout between Rodriguez and Stallone.

Read Full Article

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Come on, it's motherfucking Rodriguez! Versus the shit fest of the year. There's no contest. Rodriguez knows how to make good films, and he definitely knows how to make B-movies.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Machete: Danny Trejo slices a bad guy's stomach open, pulls out his large-intestine and uses it as a rope to rappel out a window. No, really! Easily the most awesome movie kill of 2010, and a future "best kills ever" fixture for sure.
Why Bob, Why? Right as I was eating my sub on my lunch break, you throw this on me? No Longer hungry.

Agree on most parts, although I firmly believe Seugal's[sp] time has fully past, action scenes just being the tip of the Iceberg.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
This should've been your review of The Expendables. At least now I can see where you're coming from, although that doesn't mean I agree with you in the slightest. Not at all.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
This should've been your review of The Expendables. At least now I can see where you're coming from, although that doesn't mean I agree with you in the slightest. Not at all.
This article made more sense than the Expendables review atleast... also, Danny Trejo uses a guys intesine to repel out a window? Holy Fuck, I got to see this movie!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Shale_Dirk said:
Hopefully this'll shut the Expendables whiners up.

JourneyThroughHell said:
Or not.
Thanks a lot for that title you imposed on me.

Just saying, instead of commending the guy for making his point clearer, I could go arguing with everything he said, one point by one. Think about that.

Feb 13, 2008
If you want to fight the audience, I humbly suggest a mailbag showdown next time; although the column this week was excellent.

I'd already decided on Machete when I heard Mexican; but I might now see Expendables (on DVD, natch) just to see how it holds up.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:

Just saying, instead of commending the guy for making his point clearer, I could go arguing with everything he said, one point by one. Think about that.
Wait, was that like, a suggestive threat?

Haha, get over yourself. Its the internet.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Definitely this.

However, Bob, I'd like to state that this is finally a return to form for you! Be proud! Loved the Machete review, by the by, and so definitely need to see this when it hits the UK. Unless it's an 18. In which case I shall scream to God about the injustice of the world like I always do.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Shale_Dirk said:
JourneyThroughHell said:

Threat? Haha, what?

I'm just saying that I could've turned my comment in a rant, if I hated his opinion so much.

Also, "it's the Internet"? So what? Does that somehow make you calling me and others "whiners" okay, yet me trying to refute that - not?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Atleast Bob is starting to move away from the Expendables, he didnt mention it in the video, so by next week, we all will be back at the status quo.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Shale_Dirk said:
JourneyThroughHell said:

Threat? He's threatening, what, that he would try and make a rant? Oh no, think of the children!

And I'd have agree with him. Bob brought the expendables up, so that makes it fair for use to bring it up. And while this was still laced with hyperbole, it was a better review of Expendables than his review of Expendables was.

Also, didn't the movie come out today? Either Bob is really fucking fast at making these videos, or they let him see it ahead of time. Lucky...

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
See, MovieBob, this is essentially what people wanted from you. To leave out the ad hominem and to just clearly and simply explain why you didn't like The Expendables. That's all that was needed.

For the record, I have seen neither Scott Pilgrim nor The Expendables, because I'm just not really interested. If Jason Statham is that underutilized and wasted, then I'll pass.

I love Danny Trejo, so I think I'll give Machete a go.

EgonCom

Aug 5, 2009
MovieBob said:
The following article contains significant plot-spoilers...
For the love of fans...

LEARN TO NOT USE SPOILERS IN YOUR REVIEWS!

Jeez...
It's not hard, believe me. Everybody can do it. You aren't retarded so should be able to do it also.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Shale_Dirk said:

Threat? Haha, what?

I'm just saying that I could've turned my comment in a rant, if I hated his opinion so much.

Also, "it's the Internet"? So what? Does that somehow make you calling me and others "whiners" okay, yet me trying to refute that - not?
People ask for Bob to review The Expendables
Bob reviews The Expendables, people don't like that he didn't like it, and shamed other people for liking it. They demand he gives a further explanation. He clarifies a little in the comment section of the review, and people whine more.
Bob brings up The Expendables the following week to make comparison points to what a good B-movie should be doing, and people whine because he's "digging into the wound". People continue to whine because he doesn't clarify exactly what the issues were with the movie.
Bob writes a column specifically outlining what he doesn't like about the individual components of the movie, and some of the first responses are, "Well if you'd only done that two weeks ago we wouldn't be so mad, but I don't agree", etc.

You disagree with his opinions. Power to you. I'm tired of people complaining like small children, Bob coddling them, and then these same people making a bigger stink and threaten they'll get the internet to turn on him, like they have for the last two weeks.

Refute away, just don't preface it with, "You should have done this".

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
ok im getting really really bored of expenables bashing...is there really a point?
we know you dont like, but keep trying to tell yourself its this bad isnt going to convince us that like it its bad...

why not review other movies rather than keep going on about not liking it, tbh i dont feel in the mood to look at anymore of this crap...

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
EgonCom said:
MovieBob said:
The following article contains significant plot-spoilers...
For the love of fans...

LEARN TO NOT USE SPOILERS IN YOUR REVIEWS!

Jeez...
It's not hard, believe me. Everybody can do it. You aren't retarded so should be able to do it also.
Or you could go see the movie then come back and read the article?
Also, that's what she said.

Bob, had you posted this as your Expendables review I highly, highly doubt you'd have been flamed as much as you were. This, while still a lambasting, at least had context.