PAX 2010: Torchlight II Hands-On

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PAX 2010: Torchlight II Hands-On

Remember what you didn?t like about Torchlight? Yeah, they changed it.

Read Full Article

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Torchlight 2? Awesome.

Multiplayer? Awesome

Goggle-wearing ferret? TOTALLY AWESOME!

I'm sold for this game already.

(Also the fact that it's steam-punk made me mentally 'squee'.)

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Is it weird I'm looking forward to Torchlight 2 more than Diablo 3?

Draygon

Jun 11, 2010
After what was an eternity of waiting, we find ourselves looking forward to a deluge of excellent action RPGs. I am looking forward to the next few years.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Sevre90210 said:
Depends entirely on who you're asking, as for me, no, it's not wierd as I like Torchlight a lot more than Diablo.

Even I reinstalled Diablo 2 a couple of days ago just for the heck of it and oh my, Diablo 2 hasn't aged pretty well, except for the cinematics, the game feels almost archaic compared to what Torchlight brought.

Color me excited for Torchlight 2 =).

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Why do I feel like this will be another "Multiplayer is our main focus! Single-player? HA!!! What's that?" game? Long live the single-player mode! [http://www.destructoid.com/the-jimquisition-long-live-single-player--181959.phtml]

EDIT: Ignore my insane ramblings. I didn't realize that the multiplayer was just drop-in/drop-out to the normal game. I am an idiot with mutton chops.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
V8 Ninja said:
Why do I feel like this will be another "Multiplayer is our main focus! Single-player? HA!!! What's that?" game? Long live the single-player mode! [http://www.destructoid.com/the-jimquisition-long-live-single-player--181959.phtml]
Er. I think you're misunderstanding the type of multiplayer they're talking about here.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
John Funk said:
V8 Ninja said:
Er. I think you're misunderstanding the type of multiplayer they're talking about here.
Thanks for pointing that out. I kinda did miss the mark. Like, a lot. XP

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Sevre90210 said:
Depends entirely on who you're asking, as for me, no, it's not wierd as I like Torchlight a lot more than Diablo.

Even I reinstalled Diablo 2 a couple of days ago just for the heck of it and oh my, Diablo 2 hasn't aged pretty well, except for the cinematics, the game feels almost archaic compared to what Torchlight brought.

Color me excited for Torchlight 2 =).
With you on that; Diablo2 feels nasty these days and torchlight gave me, effectively, a new version of diablo 1 to scratch that itch. So long as the price stays as nice as the first game I'm way more interested in it than Diablo3.

What torchlight really needed as well as multilayer is way more gear though, if it's going to take more of my time I need to see less of the same stuff coming up all the time. And more pets, I loved the pet mods for torchlight even if some of them were pure cheese.

edit:need to remember to proofread damn it!

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Those were the glaring flaws? Really?

For me, the glaring flaws were the loot system which insured that 90% of your spectacular treasure was just menial junk, too few skills unbelievably padded and repetitive slow, grindy gameplay, and the fact that every single thing in the game was a clone of Diablo II done not as well.

But hey, as long as it's outdoors and I can give my rogue different hair...

Here are a few fixes that would take negligible effort and would improve the game:
1. Remove the need to identify items.
2. Have loot be rarer and more likely to be significant rather than constantly inundating you with junk.
3. Have predesigned dungeons with proper encounter structure and length instead of a random generator which produces padded and repetitive dungeon structures.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
ArmorArmadillo said:
Here are a few fixes that would take negligible effort and would improve the game:
2. Have loot be rarer and more likely to be significant rather than constantly inundating you with junk.
3. Have predesigned dungeons with proper encounter structure and length instead of a random generator which produces padded and repetitive dungeon structures.
I'm not sure about 2, I'm sure there is some form of mod for it, but the other two would take 1 minute to get with Torchleech. There are loads of predesigned maps around, a few of them are even have puzzles mixed in.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Oh man, I can't wait. I loved Torchlight, and being able to play with my friends would be awesome.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
I played Torchlight one at a friends house, and I found it pretty fun. I'm putting this one on my "Keep an eye on" list.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
DazZ. said:
ArmorArmadillo said:
I'm not sure about 2, I'm sure there is some form of mod for it, but the other two would take 1 minute to get with Torchleech. There are loads of predesigned maps around, a few of them are even have puzzles mixed in.
As a mac user, such mods are mostly unusable for me. That said, I don't like giving credit to developers because players made a mod that fixed a problem. (Aside from the credit for making Torchlight mod-friendly, something which, by the way, it seems like multiplayer can't support)

That said, Torchlight is a fun game, I've enjoyed playing it. All I'm saying is that Runic is bragging about fixing "glaring flaws" that I didn't even notice while really glaring flaws seem unnoticed.

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
Anyone else seeing the parallels in the Development of Torchlight > Torchlight 2, with the development of Diablo > Diablo 2.

Namely, Diablo also changed its environments from all cavernous to including outdoor areas, the plot involves following a character from the first game.

I am not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, it is just interesting. The plot could be a homage to Diablo 2 I suppose.

I will probably buy it and enjoy it!

Tbaldree

Sep 5, 2010
You'll be happy to know then that we're revising the id mechanic, spending a lot more time on itemization, making a lot more interesting handmade content to provide more structure to the mix, as well as spending more time and energy on class differentiation. We've got our own laundry list of ills that we want to see remedied. :)

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
This is like people saying that the only drawback to Starcraft 2 was the lack or LAN support, and they released Starcraft 3 three months after which was exactly the same but with LAN support.

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
Honestly I can't say I'm very enthusiastic about Torchlight having a sequel.

The multiplayer is nice, but unless they find a way to make it compelling for replay there's no real motivation to grind away like there was in the old D2 days.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
I might actually buy this game.

My only complaint about the first game was that I couldn't move around using wsad but that isn't a very Diablo-like control scheme anyway so I'll let it slide.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
ArmorArmadillo said:
(Aside from the credit for making Torchlight mod-friendly, something which, by the way, it seems like multiplayer can't support)
Torchlight 2 will come with mod tools as well, and they will be supported in multiplayer.
Why do you think multiplayer couldn't support mods?