Bungie Resetting Early Halo: Reach Player Progress

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bungie Resetting Early Halo: Reach Player Progress

Even if players manage to avoid the Bungie banhammer for acquiring Halo: Reach early, they'll still be punished with the deletion of in-game progress.

Last month, Microsoft and Bungie Halo: Reach [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102987-Microsoft-Crushes-Reach-Pirates-with-Banhammer] early. However, with the game's September 14 release date closing in quickly, Bungie accepts the fact that some players may have gotten their hands on a legitimate copy of the disc, perhaps through a negligent videogame store employee. To keep things even, Bungie has detailed its plans to revert all Reach progress to zero on launch day.

Just to let the "lucky few" know, Bungie says it considers the current state of Halo: Reach a "test environment" where all features are not enabled, such as matchmaking. If something isn't working, but you're playing Reach before September 14, it's probably best to leave tech support alone until the game officially launches.

But Bungie also states that nobody will get a head start as far as in-game currency goes. Specifically, Bungie is talking about credits that can be spent on armor effects and other bonuses. "Don't get too attached to any fancy new gear you might have already acquired," Bungie writes on its website.

"Consider any expenditures or investments you've made in the Armory the cost of doing business early. It's nothing personal; we just want to make sure the playing field is kept nice and level upon launch. It's only fair."

So even if you're able to convince Fred at Walmart to let loose an early copy of Halo: Reach by meeting you in a dark alleyway late at night, it won't give you a head start on the game's Armory system. Some of the bonuses revealed so far include Spartan heads popping like confetti and armor that radiates electricity, at quite the expense of credits. Just don't get frustrated if you earn them before Bungie wants you to and they're taken away.

Source: Bungie.net [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_090310]

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I've got no issues of that, I'm just concerned that if my preorder arrives early, like Mass Effect 2 did, I'll get the hammer for "Pirating"

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I think they may have done the same thing with GTA4 online... except they did it a few days after launch and deleted all my progress. Then the game went back to the store...

Gotta go find a store to sell me a copy for some practice before launch!

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Some of the bonuses revealed so far include Spartan heads popping like confetti and armor that radiates electricity, at quite the expense of credits.
Don't forget the creepy skull helmet. To get that requires the entire armory to be unlocked, if the rumors are to be belived.

OT:I wouldn't have expected any diffrently, but I hope they employ some common sense and remember that people will get the game possibly a day early.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, looks like they are getting it under pretty tight control - Good to see they taking it so seriously

Apr 28, 2008
hehehe, my store gets our shipment this weekend.

I'm not gonna play early though, because I'm cool like that. Although I know a few people who won't stop bothering me for copies...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
I've got no issues of that, I'm just concerned that if my preorder arrives early, like Mass Effect 2 did, I'll get the hammer for "Pirating"
You'll be safe from that, if nothing else Bungie are good at telling the difference between pirated and genuine copies of their games. But you will get your progress reset...

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
All the Beta stats were reset so this is effectively the same thing.
As said, well done Bungie.

Keep everyone level, and we can all gain ranks and credits on day one together

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
It sounds very fair really, show those hackers who's boss. They aren't going to ruin my game playing especially now that I have Live and the game is only a little way away from being released.

SilverStrike

Jul 12, 2010
What about early pre-orders? It's not unusual for a pre-ordered game to arrive a day early, so 13th instead of 14th. If we play it anyway, will we get erased? Or will we stay,given that there are many other thousands of gamers who are going to get it early from pre-ordering?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
SilverStrike said:
What about early pre-orders? It's not unusual for a pre-ordered game to arrive a day early, so 13th instead of 14th. If we play it anyway, will we get erased? Or will we stay,given that there are many other thousands of gamers who are going to get it early from pre-ordering?
I think one day won't matter to them since they probably expect copies to arrive early. Besides what can you gain that's all that important in one day?

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I'm getting my copy midnight, UK, at a GAME store minutes away from my house.

Booyah.