Activision Announces Hollywood Muscle for Call of Duty: Black Ops

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision Announces Hollywood Muscle for Call of Duty: Black Ops

Treyarch has enlisted a trio of top Hollywood talent for it's upcoming Cold War Call of Duty.

Activision has confirmed that Hollywood veteran Gary Oldman will be reprising his role as Russian soldier Viktor Reznov in Treyarch's upcoming Call of Duty game, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283888576&sr=1-1].

Also lending his voice to the game is Ed Harris, whose career includes movies like Dark Knight [http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-13-15th-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B00371QQ2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1283888822&sr=1-1] writer David Goyer as a script consultant and to help develop the game's story.

Treyarch boss Mark Lamia said that Harris, Oldman and Goyer were some of Hollywood's best talent, and were a perfect complement to Black Ops immersive single-player campaign. He added that their contributions had allowed Treyarch to push its storytelling and character development beyond anything the series had attempted before.

Harris has been nominated for four Oscars, and Oldman has been described as "one of the best actors never to receive an Oscar nomination," so Treyarch has a pair of excellent actors on its hands. Not only that, but Goyer helped create the story for one of the most highly regarded, not to mention highest grossing, comic book movies of all time. It's going to be interesting to see what the game does with so much talent.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/07/activision-confirms-black-ops-voice-talent-gary-oldman-returning-from-waw/]

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Wastes it I imagine, if they continue the trend of the MW seriesthen we are in for a ridiculous plot of arbitrary betrayals, deaths, Nukes and set peices that would make James Bond blush

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Not sure I'm liking the sound of this. And not the voice actor, but the general feel your left with after reading that.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I just hope the story is at least 3 times longer than MW2. I want at least 15 hours of campaign.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm assuming Reznov is in a narrator role, or really old at this point.
Logan Westbrook said:
and Goldman has been described as "one of the best actors never to receive an Oscar nomination,"
Goldman...our own Tom Goldman?

You meant Oldman, didn't you?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
They sure are bragging a lot about Black Ops. Who knows, maybe there's a chance it's as good as Call of Duty 4. I doubt it, though.
Looks pretty awesome, but there are a few worrying inclusions (like Second Chance -ugh)

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Yay! Gary Oldman's back!

Having Ed Harris in there kinda surprised me, actually, but I'm sure he'll pull it off nicely.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Glad to hear that they are at least pretending to care about the single player.
I'm trying very hard to hate this game, but not doing a very good job. :(

Codenet

Jan 4, 2009
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Glad to hear that they are at least pretending to care about the single player.
I'm trying very hard to hate this game, but not doing a very good job. :(
Same here dude, i don't want to give activision anymore of my money but this beginning to look sweet..

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Gary Oldman? Holy shit, yes.

Ed Harris? As in, Brigadier General Francis X. Hummel? Sold.

It's so hard not to get excited about this game lately.

ImprovizoR said:
I just hope the story is at least 3 times longer than MW2. I want at least 15 hours of campaign.
Pretty sure it's not going to happen, sorry.
It's just the way CoD is - the campaigns are short. Either really short (IW) or just short (Treyarch).

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
You are aware that would be very long for a linear FPS game, right?

Doom 3 was about ten hours long depending on the difficulty setting and personal experience, and that was a bit drawn out by some people's standards.

Let's not kid ourselves, CoD is about multiplayer, be happy that you actually get a campaign rather than a bunch of what essentially boils down to multiplayer maps with dialogue (yes, I'm looking at you Battlefield).

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, some heavy weights there, agreed - However, its how you use your resources, not what they are.

Could be best actors ever, but, if the rest of the product dosnt shine like a star on hollywood...then, its pretty much for naught

May 23, 2010
Wow, the voice actors sound great. Now only if they'll put 'em in a game I care about...
I still think David Bowie needs to be an archwizard type character in a game.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. You can't spruce up a sequel to an overdone game series with some celebrity voice talent.