Animators "Legolize" NES Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Animators "Legolize" NES Games

A group of Lego masters have animated classic NES games like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! and Ducktales.

It's been established that anything using Legos is automatically awesome, but sometimes people come up with Lego projects that hit a new level. Rymdreglage, a group of interesting folks that crafted a sweet videogame Lego tribute animation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94245-8-bit-Gaming-Fan-Crafts-Lego-Tribute-Video] last year are now calling themselves Ninja Moped and have "legolized" a bunch of NES games for their 8-bit Tour contest.

Part of the 8-bit Tour is a regular competition where Ninja Moped recreates NES games in Lego animation and has people try to figure out what they are for a contest. More information can be found here [http://ninjamoped.com/NES-Quiz.html].

What interests me the most are the videos themselves. Though it's unclear if they were actually created using physical Legos or through some other technique, they're pretty cool anyway. At the least, the in-between segments are great Lego videogame animations worth seeing.

These guys really know their Legos. To see more of the group's videos, visit their YouTube channel [http://www.youtube.com/user/Ninjamoped#p/a/u/2/5TrmDfsJFhg]. Keep in mind that the fellows talking at the end are for the contest aspect of their creations, if they confuse you.

Source: Kotaku [http://ninjamoped.com/index.html]

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I was expecting the videos of the games to be lego and not just blocker graphics than previously.

Expected the whole video to look the same really.

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
That was fairly impressive, and a great way to waste 6mins while waiting for the deylayed "Witch Hunt" DA:O DLC.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Claps for that. I dont know why but I awlays have to appluad people when they do something like that with stop animation. I mean, that six minutes probably took six hours, if you did those things at the same time, with help.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh nice. Adding an new look to old school games...well, someones got an intresting challenge ahead of em

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Thank you crazy people who are willing to take the time to do stuff like that. FREAKING AWESOME!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Shame these are deliberately obscured for the contest. I would have liked to see some of these with all the pixels visible. But the interstitial animations were epic.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Wait...so they didn't use Legos for the actual game "footage"? Or did they? If they did, color me impressed, if not...the segments in between the games is the only part worth mentioning.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, that was pretty sweet... so were the game segments digitised or actual lego? I mean the in between segments were of extemely good quality so it's not out of the question...

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Agh! I know all the games but one... so frustrating!
Jesus Phish said:
I was expecting the videos of the games to be lego and not just blocker graphics than previously.

The graphics were made of Lego actually. They are a bit blockier, as someone else said, to obscure the game a little for the contest. I would LOVE to see them fully pixellated with Legos though, as they clearly have some amazing talent.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
Yeah, that was pretty sweet... so were the game segments digitised or actual lego? I mean the in between segments were of extemely good quality so it's not out of the question...
That was actual lego my friend. If u pause it you can see the circles on top of each piece

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
coldfrog said:
Agh! I know all the games but one... so frustrating!
Jesus Phish said:

The graphics were made of Lego actually. They are a bit blockier, as someone else said, to obscure the game a little for the contest. I would LOVE to see them fully pixellated with Legos though, as they clearly have some amazing talent.
Thats what I meant. I saw the graphics were "Lego" but I'd have liked the same thing as you.

tk1989 said:
Outright Villainy said:
That was actual lego my friend. If u pause it you can see the circles on top of each piece
I think it's actual Lego, but it wouldnt be hard to make digital lego with circles on it, like real lego.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Yep, the same guys who made 8-Bit Trip in 2009. Awesome stuff.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Zer0Saber said:
Thank you crazy people who are willing to take the time to do stuff like that. FREAKING AWESOME!
People who have time make the best things. I love Lego videos. Some are just so amazingly epic, they blow my mind. I remember when I saw this for the first time:

Lego, mankind's greatest toy.

Of course, with most things on the internet, there are many, many horrible attempts to be as amazing.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Nice beard on that guy.

I assume the bit's were all in lego but it's so close to the real thing it's hard to tell, I wish they had done something so you could really tell.

Someone can correct me but I think the games were,

1.Punch Out
2.Track and Field 2 (not sure the title but do remember the game)
3.Mega Man 2
4.Kung Fu
5.Duck Tales
6.rush n' attack (not sure)
7.Balloon Fight
8.Super Mario Bros. 3