Topical Tuesday: In-Game Death

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer frequently produces this kinds of moments. The fact that I'm quite good at the game and can convincingly defeat the average player means that when the truly awesome players punish me with lighting fast headshots, I can't help but be utterly stunned.

It's very humbling.

Eviltane

Oct 6, 2009
Mine was in CoD:MW2.

I was dual wielding MP5Ks. I spotted an enemy heading down a ramp about 10 meters ahead going down to my left. I made after him. About 10 meters from the ramp he exploded out of it with what I thought was a shotgun.I went from a full run dropping into a crouch hoping to avoid the first Shotgun blast. At the same time I opened up with both guns. Going into a crouch had the side effect of taking my aim lower. My opponent Jumped straight at me at the same time. He cleared the 10 meters in between us practically flying over the stream of bullets as i tried to compensate and bring my cross hairs up. Just as he was about a meter away from me he activated his knife midair and planted it firmly between my eyes insta killing me.

That was the one death that still stands out to me this day.

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
In Red Dead Redemption a bear pushed me off a cliff. I survived, but before I could get up I was trampled by a boar.

The animals in that game just hate me...

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
The one I remember was in Team Fortress two. I was playing has pyro, chasing down a spy on fire, he runs up some stairs and I follow him. Then, he jumps off the stairs, over my head, and backstabs me before I know what was going on.

On Bad Company two though, I was often the one giving the epic deaths.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
My best death could be 1 bottle wielding Demoman getting beaten by 20 Soldiers with shovels during the WAR! campaign on TF2.

Or it's the 'sideways compressed airblast on a sentry rocket in my face.' The Pyro skipped towards my Sentry, backed up and blew the incoming rocket 90 degreeds towards my face.

My most epic kill: Super Smash Brothers Melee, Hyrule Castle. There is a small slope there where I was charging a Super Scope 9. My friend just jumped up on a high platform, the moment he did that, I shot my charge and it ricochet on the slope right towards my friend. EPIC ENDING!

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
I would absolutely say the most stunning moments are the pride-before-the-fall moments.

You know, when you've been absolutely kicking ass, and everything coming through your headset is grumbling acknowledgement of your superiority. You're picking people off like ants under your feet. If anything, you're getting complacent, and bored.

All of a sudden, you're shot in the back. You spin round, absolutely amazed, and get a knife between the ribs. As the camera whirls away, you realise this was the quiet kid, the one who wasn't grumbling as he blindly ran into your fire. No, this kid watched very patiently, and over the course of a good 20 minutes edged around the entire map, watching for your blind spot and taking advantage of your moments of sheer trigger-happiness to infiltrate your base. And he had the steadiness of hand to creep up on you and not take a single shot until he was absolutely sure he had your number.

Very humbling. Despite one player's skill and prowess, he can still be defeated by someone of stronger endurance, cunning and will. I felt like Sauron.

Also humbling for the amount of cheering and jeering that immediately followed. Reminded me that dictators are never loved, and that the no.1 spot is a lonely place. Since then I've mostly played team capture the flag.

Nov 7, 2009
I was playing local multiplayer a few years ago on a James Bond game on the Gamecube at Furburt's house and he had some kind of guided rocket launcher you could guide yourself. It was split-screen so I saw the rocket coming towards me, and I just said "The cows..." the instant before it hit me.

The comic timing made it amazing.

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
I suck at Halo, so I mostly just mess around when playing with friends.

Forgive my ignorance, but we were playing a map on Halo 3 that takes place on some sort of base in the sky or something. I don't know its name. Anyway, I was goofing off on this set of launch pads that send your character back and forth across a large chasm, spinning around in mid-air to look dopey for the playback.

The last time, however, I kept spinning longer than any other launch and curiously wondered why until my death. The playback revealed what happened: While in mid-air, another friend launched from the other side of the gap and clipped the head of my character--almost Smash Brothers-like--sending me straight down as he safely landed on the other side. I am still proud of that death to this day.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
The best in-game death was basically a self-inflicted one in Modern Warfare 2. Airport + Care Package + Glass + Ricochet = Epically Nonsensical Suicide.

Can't think of anything else.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
In team fortess 2 I was fighting a soldier as scout, after a tense battle on a roof top the explosion knocked me and him off. I shot him dead on the way down about a quarter of a second before I hit the ground and died of fall damage.
Ah, good times...

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
My greatest death was when, while playing COD:MW2, I was one of six people to die to one bullet from a sniper.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
In MW2 I was about to launch a javilain to shoot down a harrier when an enemey run in front of me as I launched. It didnt end well for anyone.

Sara Brown

Nov 26, 2008
Resident Evil 2, my first encounter with the Licker. I remember walking down the hall and catching a glimpse of something running by the window. I turned around and beheld this new strange zombie-Venom thing...who promptly LICKED my friggin' head off. I do not remember dropping my controller, but it happened. Not multiplayer, but it's all I've got.

Fortuan

Oct 14, 2008
Mine comes from Halo 3. Playin on Rat's nest my bro and I were dominating on team death match. there was a player who was being particularly annoying bunny hopping around. My bro fired a rocket and the obvious thing is that this dude jumped it, well what he didn't expect is that I was in a warthog paralleling the rocket. So instincitely i swerved into the rocket being killed by my bro but we got a kill for the win b/c it blew up just below him.

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
Halo 3, I was troll playing around a Warthog, when the other guy throws a plasma grenade, that misses me and hits the warthog. I move to the opposite side thinking I'd be safe from the blast, when it goes off, send the warthog flying and splatters me.

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
I was playing starcraft 2 on scrap station. I was terran and my opponent was protoss. He tried to cannon rush me, but I managed to kill off his probe and lift off the buildings that was close leaving him with a single photon cannon in my base that couldn't reach anything and which I soon destroyed. I figured that I'd push out early with some marauders and marines to put some pressure on him and punish him for trying to cannon rush me. So I destroyed the rocks in order to open up the shortcut between our bases and marched over there with my army. I soon realised that he'd blocked off his entrance with photon cannons so a frontal assault would be suicide, so I waited a short while for my starport to finish and bought two medivacs and lifted my army in behind his cannons. I subsequently ripped through his entire base...but he didn't gg strangely enough. I'd seen some probes run out of his base while I was busy ripping it apart, so I figured that he'd ran away and had a second base somewhere. So I scouted around and killed off his second base. Right when I'm killing his nexus I see a big red blob up in my base and quickly scroll there only to find 4 carriers ripping my base apart. He had transported a probe to the island expansion, lined it with photon cannons for defense and built a base considering of a single nexus, stargate and fleet beacon from which he pumped carriers like crazy. I - who had thought that the game was over when I killed off his first base - had neglected to build air defense since "he's dead anyway and I didn't see any stargates in his main".

I gg'ed shortly after. You should have seen the look on my face, that was truly an epic loss.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Best in game depth I have to say, for me - Well, most memorable was the Modern Warfare Nuke moment...most emotional, Aeries in FF7...I know, Cliche