Gearbox Plans a Duke Nukem Demo

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gearbox Plans a Duke Nukem Demo

Gearbox honcho Randy Pitchford says it's "important" to release a demo for Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.dukenukem.com/] and now that the word is out, the studio can finally get on with making one.

It's hard to say what the more common reaction was to the news that Duke Nukem Forever will finally (hopefully) see the light of day: Excitement at the prospect of actually, for-real playing it someday, or doubt that it could possibly be anything but a half-baked mess at this point. For any game that's been stewing for as long as DNF has, "good" simply won't be good enough. Making it even trickier for those on the fence will be the inevitable difficulty of sifting through the noise and hysteria that will almost certainly surround the game's release. What's a gamer with no particular interest in dropping 50 bucks on some ironic laughs to do?

Pitchford has the answer: Try the demo, because yes, there's going to be one. "I think [the demo] is an important thing to do," he told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/06/interview-saving-duke-nukem-forever-by-randy-pitchford/]. "Now that the cat's out of the bag we can actually make those plans. Now we can get with retailers and figure out the launch window, and figure out demo timing, and work with the first-parties on that. We weren't able to do that until this point, because if we did we risked damaging it even further. "

Noting that PAX [http://www.2kgames.com/], he continued, "It's like making more promises. You know, even if the promise is real - which it is - people won't believe it until they see it themselves. We just wanted to bring it in front of people, and people will believe them, and we want more people to see it, because everybody needs to see it for themselves. That's important before it launches, and this is the first step."

With all eyes on what could be the next Daikatana [http://www.amazon.com/Daikatana-Pc/dp/B00001ZT47/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283888313&sr=8-1], putting out a pre-launch demo is a risky move but also entirely necessary. Things have changed dramatically since the last time Duke graced our presence and after 13 years of empty promises, disappointments and even a few screenshots, gamers have every right to demand a little something up front. Duke Nukem Forever is currently expected to come out some time in 2011 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I'd say they have to, just for the sake of proving it's real. Until then, I'll be playing the part of the pessimist...

May 25, 2010
I sure hope the demo for DNF doesn't turn out like the one from Mirror's Edge.

Speaking of DNF, I've been giving it some thought lately, and I still can't decide whether I want to be excited or not o_O

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Yay! I get to play Duke early! But what to play it on... PC or PS3? I'm thinking PC, since I just upgraded.

Calumon: Things are different... I don't like change! >.<

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
What it needs is a solid demo showing all the parts working together flawlessly with the promise of much much more. It needs the Duke, it needs humour, it needs perfection.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
The only thing im not liking, and this is from what I saw in the trailer on Youtube, was you can only carry two guns. WTF!? Its the Duke, he should be able to carry all the guns he needs! Of course if it is proven different, goodie.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
With all eyes on what could be the next Daikatana [http://www.amazon.com/Daikatana-Pc/dp/B00001ZT47/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283888313&sr=8-1],
Harsh. But fair.

Let's take a look at the demo before we consign it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The demo will probably show it to be just another mindless shooter, and the actual game will probably turn out to be, well......just another mindless shooter.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
wooty said:
The demo will probably show it to be just another mindless shooter, and the actual game will probably turn out to be, well......just another mindless shooter.
But at least the game gets actually done.

Also, yay for demo.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I hope this game does SOMETHING to try and set itself apart from others.
Because of the change of developers, all 10+ years of "developement" (because "f***ing around doing nothing" diminishes my point) were thrown out the window, most likely will either be a generic shooter that we've been getting over and over again, or just some game Gearbox recently made with Duke Nukem sound effects. At least for the demo.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I guess I'll be able to see if it's crap or not before I get it (maybe). Yay?

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Noting that PAX [http://www.2kgames.com/], he continued, "It's like making more promises. You know, even if the promise is real - which it is - people won't believe it until they see it themselves. We just wanted to bring it in front of people, and people will believe them, and we want more people to see it, because everybody needs to see it for themselves. That's important before it launches, and this is the first step."
Umm, I'm pretty sure that every retailer was AWARE of something called Duke Nukem Forever... What they weren't aware of was that it finally looked plausible.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
All I care about is what this is going to do to Yahtzee's Duke Nukem Forever!!!!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, with all the hype that surrounds it, I am not surprised. I will want to play it thats for sure!

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
wooty said:
But with humor and not taking it's self seriously. That is the saving grace really.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I want it... I've been waiting 14 years for this moment...

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I seriously do believe that after all these years this game is actually gonna be a massive dissapointment to the hardcore fans of Duke.. So long wait, so hyped, it has to revolutionise shooters in order to make ammends..