Star Wars 3D Short Shows Why Han Really Dumped Jabba's Cargo

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Star Wars 3D Short Shows Why Han Really Dumped Jabba's Cargo

[vimeo=14167844]

Han Solo got in hot water for dumping Jabba's cargo during a smuggling run, and now we know the truth of the situation thanks to an animated short.

In the Star Wars movies, Han Solo was once forced to dump a load of Jabba the Hutt's cargo because of trouble with the Empire, which led to Greedo trying to blast him in the "Han shot first [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first]" situation. This animated short which won "Best Animation" at the official Lucasfilm Fan Movie Challenge during Star Wars Celebration V tells the true story of the cargo dump, and does it in stereoscopic 3D no less.

To properly view the short, you'll have to be wearing a pair of red/cyan glasses that you might find in a comic book or toy store. It was created as a student film by a class at the Dave School, a digital animation and visual effects school in Universal Studios at Orlando, Florida.

Titled "The Solo Adventures," the five minute story mixes some absolutely top-tier animation, despite a really mouthy Han, with a classic subject from the Star Wars universe. It's got action, explosions, and a funny ending, making it a must-see for any Star Wars nut. Now to see if I can dig up my 3D glasses.

Source: io9 [http://vimeo.com/14167844]

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Why are tie fighter pilots SO terrible? I mean, you'd think that being part of a giant evil empire they'd have MORE training than "rebel scum".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Damn, that was better than all the prequels put together.
That isn't setting the bar terribly high, but I agree all the same.

EDIT: Holy shit...I did not see that ending coming.
Anyone else think that this actually felt like the original Star Wars?
I haven't felt that in a long time.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Now if I only had the right glasses. Never mind, that was actually pretty awesome without 3D.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I'll watch it later, but didn't they actually cover the issue in the expanded canon? I actually remember it in a series of books about Han, which basically leads up to "A New Hope."

Han's former girlfriend of the time was one of the people who died to get the Death Star plans to the Rebel alliance.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I loved this short. It felt like I was watching the original Star Wars movie.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Actually amazingly badass. When they say "school" are they really talking 13-18 year olds or older?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
snuffler said:
Why are tie fighter pilots SO terrible? I mean, you'd think that being part of a giant evil empire they'd have MORE training than "rebel scum".
It could be a function of having but a single engine, which would make maneuver difficult. Also the fact that it always seemed like TIE fighters were more or less utterly expendable (they don't even have a shield), and if that were true why bother training the pilots if you're just planning on choking rivers with corpses and debris anyhow?

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I wondered what happened to the gungan statue in Ozzik Stern's trophy room. (Force Unleashed) He's got damn near every Star Wars beast (from the movies, at least) in there.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
snuffler said:
They have immense training, it's just that they only send the really bad pilots after the Rebels to get rid of them. Not the greatest plan, but then again Palpatine's capacity for planning had diminished significantly by the time of the original trilogy.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
snuffler said:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImperialStormtrooperMarksmanshipAcademy