Jack Thompson Vows to Stop Medal of Honor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Vows to Stop Medal of Honor

Former lawyer Jack Thompson says he intends to stop the release of EA's Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Limited-Pc/dp/B002ZJPYHS/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283972161&sr=1-3] and has sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates seeking his help.

Thompson, a notorious anti-videogame crusader who was disbarred in 2008 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86463-Jack-Thompson-Disbarred-UPDATED] for his unrepentant, unrelenting litany of misconduct over the years, may no longer be a lawyer but he obviously still retains his hated for videogames and lust for the limelight. It's been awhile since we've heard from him but EA's upcoming Medal of Honor seems to have stirred him from his slumber.

Thompson faxed a letter to Robert Gates, the U.S. Secretary of Defense, in which he called upon Gates to take action to stop the release of the game. He criticized it on several points and accused ESRB [http://www.ea.com] rating system by allowing anyone to preorder the game, regardless of age. He also told Gates that he would be justified in imposing a ban because the high level of realism makes it an effective training tool for the Taliban and other forces currently engaged with the U.S. military.

"With all respect for everything else on your plate, but as someone who has represented the surviving family members of such videogame-caused massacres, I personally urge you, as Secretary of Defense, to do what is necessary, proper, and legal to stop the release of Medal of Honor on October 12 on the basis that it poses a demonstrable danger to our troops by providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them," Thompson wrote. "I would also strongly suggest that the Defense Department find out who these Special Ops people are who have acted so foolishly in this regard [by consulting on the game]."

"Finally, I believe the full weight of the federal government should come down upon Electronic Arts and the videogame industry's Entertainment Software Association [http://www.theesa.com/] for their allowing, presently and fraudulently, despite promises to Congress, the widespread pre-sale of this adult game to minors throughout the country and around the world," he concluded.

Thompson acknowledged to PCMag.com [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368824,00.asp] that he's not representing anyone as a lawyer, because he's not a lawyer anymore. "I am speaking on behalf of a number of people who believe that EA should not be selling such a game to minors, particularly one that allows one to play the role of the Taliban," he said. "Beyond that, I am not presently authorized to identify anyone. That may change in a day or two. I intend to stop the release of the game."

Gates has not yet responded to Thompson's letter, but his counterparts in the U.K. and New Zealand have expressed strong disapproval of the game, with U.K. Secretary of Defense Liam Fox asking retailers to voluntarily "ban this tasteless product [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102952-UK-Defense-Secretary-Calls-for-Medal-of-Honor-Ban]." The likelihood of any kind of ban against Medal of Honor in the U.S., however, or even of Gates acknowledging Jack's existence look pretty slim at this point.

Medal of Honor comes out on October 12 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I think this dude needs a lil bit of STFU Medicine
A game is just a game no matter how real it can be, many people seem to have forgot that.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
The devil doesn´t die...he evolvs!

Seriously though, FUCK! I thought we got rid of that guy.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
"By providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them"

He's either completely insane, or a completely insane genius.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Gah, just when I thought things were starting to pick up. The man has no legal standing, he was disbarred for marginally less mad things than this before!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
if I were ea I would issue a press release saying that "we have heard your crys and now we will replace the taliban in the multi player with other american troops and instead of recording kills it will record friendly fire incidents" see how that goes over

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
But you don't even PLAY the role of a taliban soldier, your team just gets a different voice actor and skin than the USMC.....

Everyone is playing as a faceless, nameless soldier with absolutely no goal in life other than to capture imaginary points and kill infinitely respawning faceless soldiers. Who also have no goals in life.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Why are you still doing these stories, Escapist. Jack Thompson has been disbarred and now he's just a troll. Don't feed the troll, Escapist, and he'll starve.

Mr. Thompson obviously has a very strong opinion about video games and although it upsets everyone here we should respect him but letting him rant and promptly ignore him, like civilized people.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
You would think being disbarred as a lawyer would have made him think twice about this sort of thing. And as for the anyone can pre-order MoH, Im pretty sure you need a credit card to pre-order a game... And if some one has a credit card Im pretty sure they will be atleast 17...

Edit:Just reread this. "Thompson faxed a letter to Robert Gates, the U.S. Secretary of Defense, in which he called upon Gates to take action to stop the release of the game."

What the hell could the Secretary of Defense do to stop the game?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Hubilub said:
"By providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them"

He's either completely insane, or a completely insane genius.
Everything is possible with Jack Thompson.[sup]tm[/sup]

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
In other news, a howler monkey screamed loudly and threw poop at visitors today.

What? one howler monkey story is as good as another. :D

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
I don't see the difference between killing Americans as Taliban in multiplayer or killing Americans as the unnamed-faction-from-the-middle-east-who-is-meant-to-represent-Taliban-but-to-avoid-idiots like-this-guy-just-don't-get-named faction.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I'd rather he complain that it looks identical to COD:MW2 and that there is no need for any more of these silly games.

Although playing as the taliban might be pretty lulzy, everyone wants to play as the bad guys amirite?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Oh Jack Thompson, you silly, silly man. You are always there if I need a laugh. I doubt that you can do anything at this point anyway. Anyone who has the least bit of sense knows not to trust you, because of your blatant and unrelenting fanaticism, and your inability to see reason or even acknowledge the other side of the argument.