Chinese Sitcom Parodies Plants vs. Zombies

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Chinese Sitcom Parodies Plants vs. Zombies

[youku=XMjAyODg1ODU2]

A Chinese-language sitcom has shown its love for PopCap's Plants vs. Zombies.

PopCap's Plants vs. Zombies [http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Zombies-Game-Year-Limited-Pc/dp/B003O21A2I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283974476&sr=8-2] tasks players to defend their abodes from zombies using plant attackers. It's pretty self explanatory, really. Plants vs. Zombies must have gained quite a bit of popularity in China, because a live-action web sitcom from the region has parodied the game.

The sitcom, called 嘻哈4重奏 (which translates to something like "The Hip Hop 4" according to Google Translate), appears to follow a group of traveling students as a promotion for some sort of morning dew/honey beverage. Much to their chagrin, in this particular episode they happen to take up residence in a haunted house filled with zombies.

Once they notice the zombies hanging around, the kids run outside to find an group of zombies coming at them, just like in Plants vs. Zombies. Amongst the attackers are the game's newspaper-reading zombie, cone-head zombie, flag zombie, bucket-head zombie and ladder zombie (about 4:20 in).

To scare the monsters away, the sitcom's characters load their mouths up with seeds and spit them at the zombies. When that doesn't work, they upgrade to throwing cabbage. When that still isn't strong enough, one of the kids buys a watermelon from the show's version of Plants vs. Zombies' Crazy Dave [http://plantsvszombies.wikia.com/wiki/Crazy_Dave], an in-game character and vendor. It turns out that none of these food items actually work for repelling zombies. That's called false advertising, PopCap.

What does end up working is a cherry bomb, which a character then decides to eat, blowing his head off. The sitcom isn't going to win any awards for special effects, but it's good for a laugh if you're a Plants vs. Zombies fan nonetheless.

Source: Youku [http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjAyODg1ODU2.html]

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
It would have been more enjoyable if only I knew what they were saying. Still I do love me some plants vs zombies and anything related to such.

Feb 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
one of the kids buys a watermelon from the show's version of Plants vs. Zombies' Crazy Dave [http://plantsvszombies.wikia.com/wiki/Crazy_Dave], an in-game character and vendor. It turns out that none of these food items actually work for repelling zombies. That's called false advertising, PopCap.
That's coz it's a frozen melon, it freezes Zombies.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
It's in some kind of weird alien language I can't decipher. And the squiggly lines in the video confuse in infuriate me, as an American.

American: If it was good enough for Jesus to use, then why can't you speak it?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Leave it to the Chinese...well, usually japanese but seems they were beat to it...just wow XD

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Here I thought Asian Televesion consisted of nothing but anime :p

But seriously, This would be so much fun if we only knew what they were saying. The guy with the Green shirt and dirt stash is awesome, as is the lad with the fat face.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Oh god, its like 90's kids TV with a modern (Shit) Laughter track on it.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
I find my self rather charmed by this show, actually. I don't understand chinese and I've never played Plants vs. Zombies, yet it still made me laugh quite a few times. I just wish there were english subs available somewhere.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
It's funny in a so bad it's good kind of way.

Kinda weird they'd use the sounds from the game though.

Then again, there is a certain Thai soap opera that uses Super Mario Galaxy music, Honeyhive Galaxy theme to be precise.

Feb 11, 2009
If you understand the conversation, it becomes even more hilarious. Hmm... how come I never encountered this show before?

Kraiiit

Aug 15, 2010
bor3ds0ul said:
I understand CHINESE! YES! Hooray for compulsory Chinese in my country! HAHAHAHA
Heh, this is the first time in about six months my chinese education was actually of any use to me. Live in Singapore, by any chance?

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I love me some low budget comedy. If only I could understand what they were saying, particularly the bloke with the phone.