6 Actors Who Should Star in The Last of Us

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
6 Actors Who Should Star in The Last of Us

Who can take on the role of surrogate father/daughter combo?

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Give me one good reason why Joel and Ellie shouldn't be played by Nick Offerman and Aubrey Plaza, respectively.

P.S. Thanks

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
On Topic:

Why make a Last of Us movie when the game itself already has the look and presentation of a movie?

Off-Topic and minor rant:

Also Ellie is not the new face of gaming Escapist, she's just a bland, annoying little snark of a teenage girl that everytime she opens her mouth I roll my eyes back so hard I can see my own brain.

I mean jeez that article really bothered me.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/10281-Meeting-Ellie-How-an-NPC-Became-the-Face-of-the-Game

And Grand Theft Auto 5 is 2013's Game of the Year. It had more Gameplay value than both Last of Us and Bioshock Infintite combined.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, Joel was practically based on Josh Brolin's character from No Country for Old Men, so he's the obvious choice. Might as well ask 'Who should they get to play John Marston in the Red Dead Redemption movie?' Hmmm....

But please God, just don't let this movie happen.

Samtemdo8 said:
And Grand Theft Auto 5 is 2013's Game of the Year. It had more Gameplay value than both Last of Us and Bioshock Infintite combined.
Wow, you're still mad about that?!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Well, Joel was practically based on Josh Brolin's character from No Country for Old Men, so he's the obvious choice. Might as well ask 'Who should they get to play John Marston in the Red Dead Redemption movie?' Hmmm....

Samtemdo8 said:
GTA 5 got snubbed of so many GOTY awards because everyone who voted for Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite is because of their female characters. And not for gameplay.

And mind you I have both GTA 5 and The Last of Us, I like playing the Last of Us its an OK survival-ish action game but like the Uncharted games it has not replay value and at worst is just a interactive movie.

I still play GTA 5 at times to this day.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:

Samtemdo8 said:
GTA 5 got snubbed of so many GOTY awards because everyone who voted for Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite is because of their female characters. And not for gameplay.

And mind you I have both GTA 5 and The Last of Us, I like playing the Last of Us its an OK survival-ish action game but like the Uncharted games it has not replay value and at worst is just a interactive movie.

I absolutely love TLOU, it's become my favorite game of all time, but the fact Ellie is more or less the protagonist isn't what made me love it so much. I'm not the politically correct type, so I don't go nuts just because a game has a strong female character. There are tons of those all over gaming, both sensibly dressed and not so much. I loved all the characters in the game, the story, the atmosphere, the gameplay, everything.

As for BioShock Infinite, I thought that was pretty much worthless. It paled in comparison to the first two (and in my opinion ONLY TWO) BioShock games. The gameplay was Call of Duty with magic, while the story was a Chris Matthews acid trip. And I think the "story" is why BSI was so beloved by certain people, because it was pretty much Oscar bait for the PC crowd.

And as for who should play them, maybe I'm the only one, but I'd just grab the actors for the game and ask them to reprise their roles. Just give Troy Baker some hair dye, make him hit the gym for a while, and give him a good makeup job, and tell me he couldn't play Joel. And as for Ellie...well, Ashley Johnson IS Ellie. And all the other actors for the game had their likenesses pretty much used for their characters. Besides, I think quite a few fans would prefer that rather than Hollywood actors. Trust me, as a huge Resident Evil fan, I know all too well what happens the more Hollywood influences a video game adaptation.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:

Or maybe they just overall liked those games better than GTA5. A game's length is not indicative to its quality, nor to how well an audience will take to it. I still play The Last of Us at times to this day. See how that works?

And for pete's sake, the game sold like 50 times more than TLoU and Infinite combined. So it didn't win a bunch of awards... Million's of people have played it and generally enjoyed it. I'd think that's a bit more important than whether or not it wins Best Voice Acting from Spike's VGA's.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
The whole Robert Downey Jr. thing just seemed outta left field. I can see no scenario in which Robert Downey Jr. playing Joel would be a good idea.

Also yes, I'd rather this movie just not happen at all.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
What? What precisely can a film add? There is really only one story in TLOU, and it plays out like an interactive film, so will the plot just be a point for point rehash? Like a bad video-game tie-in of a movie? I can't see this as a good idea, more like an obligation to fulfill from a person higher up who saw the potential moolah without the creative freefall beside it.
Anyhow, i always thought Joel was a Gerard Butler lookalike. Sort of the AAA go-to stock character now. Beardy, stoic white male (ok Yahtzee mentioned that before i think). Developers must be reaching that age i guess, along with parenthood too.

Oh well, at least we can rest assured that Uwe Boll isn't involved in this, right?

Right??

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Josh Brolin? Yes. Just, yes. He has both the looks and acting chops to play the part.

Kiefer Sutherland? Not my first pick, but he'd probably do fine.

Robert Downey Jr? Hmm, I don't know. Could be ok if he doesn't play the eccentric jerk with a heart of gold he's been doing a lot since his comeback role as Tony Stark in the first Iron Man.

Elle Fanning/Maisie Williams? Haven't seen enough of either to make any kind of judgment on their dramatic acting ability, aside from William's turn in Game of Thrones. They're both pretty baby-faced though, so that part of them portraying a teenager shouldn't offer too much trouble.

Ariel Winter? She might have the acting range, but I no matter how hard I try, I can only see her as an adult woman (with ample bosom at that) and not a teenager. Casting her would IMO require rewriting Ellie into an older character, with all the consequences that would have for the themes of TLoU (and potentially even worse, see her turned into a love interest for Joel, cuz Hollywood needs one in every movie).

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Robert Downey Jr, really? I think Gary Oldman seems like he'd fit better then Downey. Maybe not in looks, but definitely in acting ability.

Okay, I'm probably completely wrong, but I really just want Gary Oldman to be in everything.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
On Topic:

Why make a Last of Us movie when the game itself already has the look and presentation of a movie?

Off-Topic and minor rant:

Also Ellie is not the new face of gaming Escapist, she's just a bland, annoying little snark of a teenage girl that everytime she opens her mouth I roll my eyes back so hard I can see my own brain.

I mean jeez that article really bothered me.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/10281-Meeting-Ellie-How-an-NPC-Became-the-Face-of-the-Game
You should really get your cholesterol checked; all that salt can't be good for you

Jan 19, 2016
Josh Brolin is a no-brainer for Joel, I honestly couldn't imagine anyone else in the role. As for Ellie, I think Maisie Williams will be too old (too grown up) by the time they get around to filming it. They need to cast an actress who is between 14-17 years at the time of filming, not casting someone who is 18 now and will be 19 or 20 by the time they shoot it. I honestly hope they cast a talented unknown who fits the role, rather trying to shoehorn a "name" into it.