6 Actresses Who Could Be Captain Marvel

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
6 Actresses Who Could Be Captain Marvel

Charlize Theron? Katee Sackhoff? Which actresses would make the best Captain Marvel?

Read Full Article

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
Oh I have to completely agree that I would love to see Yvonne Strahovski on the big screen. An old favourite would be Jessica Alba but it's been a while since she did Dark Angel so I don't know if that is still something she would be interested in.

They could go for one of the Wonder Woman rejects... but it would always be the elephant in the room for Marvel/actress to deal with.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
I would have included Adrianne Palicki, but...she's currently Mockingbird lol
...or maybe Mockingbird *becomes* Captain Marvel?! Plot twist!

More seriously though, I could see Emily Blunt being a solid Capt Marvel. I'll second the suggestion.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I must be the only person who is not excited about a Captain Marvel movie. For female super heroes to get a movie from the MCU, I know she's a favorite (although I wonder how much of that isn't just because she's been drummed up as a favorite by the press) but she's not really the most accessible character in the Marvel Universe unless they significantly retcon her origin.

Finally, I don't really think she has a "gimmick" that makes her interesting on its own (without the involvement of her complicated origin). Not like how say, Iron-Man has evolved into a discussion about war and the security state, or Captain America following along those same lines, but more in a "man out of time" sense - idealized state of government power and liberty contrasted with realpolitik. Arguably Thor is the least interesting of the non-ensemble movies because he lacks a similar hook that resonates with the audience. I see Captain Marvel being similar in that vein, unless they try to turn her into some sort of morality tale on feminism (which really just seems like that would be turning her into a two dimensional caricature).

I guess it just seems ill-timed to me and ill thought out and honestly more like an attempt to get any female hero out there rather than owning up to the fact that the main Marvel continuity doesn't actually have many female characters that can stand on their own. It's sort of the reason why cheap stunts like "Thorina" and other gender bends really annoys me (and don't get me started on the morons who think that these things are positive developments instead of pandering that avoids the core issue of not investing in any new characters).

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Jake Martinez said:
I must be the only person who is not excited about a Captain Marvel movie. For female super heroes to get a movie from the MCU, I know she's a favorite (although I wonder how much of that isn't just because she's been drummed up as a favorite by the press) but she's not really the most accessible character in the Marvel Universe unless they significantly retcon her origin.

Finally, I don't really think she has a "gimmick" that makes her interesting on its own (without the involvement of her complicated origin). Not like how say, Iron-Man has evolved into a discussion about war and the security state, or Captain America following along those same lines, but more in a "man out of time" sense - idealized state of government power and liberty contrasted with realpolitik. Arguably Thor is the least interesting of the non-ensemble movies because he lacks a similar hook that resonates with the audience. I see Captain Marvel being similar in that vein, unless they try to turn her into some sort of morality tale on feminism (which really just seems like that would be turning her into a two dimensional caricature).

I guess it just seems ill-timed to me and ill thought out and honestly more like an attempt to get any female hero out there rather than owning up to the fact that the main Marvel continuity doesn't actually have many female characters that can stand on their own. It's sort of the reason why cheap stunts like "Thorina" and other gender bends really annoys me (and don't get me started on the morons who think that these things are positive developments instead of pandering that avoids the core issue of not investing in any new characters).
I love TC's top pick. I think all the others stink.

And I'm excited for this movie: especially if it comes out before a Wonder Woman movie can be released! Take that Distinguished Competition! And this choice looks a lot more of a fit for the character than picking a girl with the body of an 8 year old boy, to play this character.

And, no more origin stories please! Hopefullly the writers can figure out a way to make her story interesting without having us care that much about the details.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
After just watching Mad Max: Fury Road - Charlize Theron would be totally awesome. Loved her character in it, Amazing.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Jake Martinez said:
It doesn't seem impossible to work her origin in, the Kree are already present in the MCU in a couple of ways. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have Mar-Vell turn up, get involved with the Psyche-Magnitron and give Danvers her powers before dying of Cancer or whatever. Hell, have him rock up in earlier movies like Guardians 2 and be dying and his dying gift is to give Danvers powers. It's a little 'Green Lantern' but it ought to fit pretty OK given they already have Kree/Inhumans. I mean they could just make her an Inhuman, it'd still work just fine.

This is all writer-dependent, valid concerns granted, but this is all depending on who writes it. Immediate niche, role of women in the military would be an interesting angle and responsibility of power in that situation. Cap's done something similar in Winter Soldier, but that position was someone who was ALWAYS a super soldier. If you suddenly go from Airforce pilot to flying (which again, will be interesting, and I'm totally expecting her to show up dating Rhodey at some point as a work related romance) then it changes how you deal with authority. Of the current characters, the only one even close to that is War Machine and it wasn't really addressed.
Or they might make it a really heavy handed feminism story.
(or personal preference, do the Carol Corps bit where they own up to the whole 'we're trying to give a strong Female Role Model who isn't an assassin' deal)

I guess it just seems ill-timed to me and ill thought out and honestly more like an attempt to get any female hero out there rather than owning up to the fact that the main Marvel continuity doesn't actually have many female characters that can stand on their own. It's sort of the reason why cheap stunts like "Thorina" and other gender bends really annoys me (and don't get me started on the morons who think that these things are positive developments instead of pandering)
It honestly depends on the story though. FosterThor wasn't a particularly good story and the reveal isn't that great and it's lacking the kind of details that would make it work (like remembering that Thunderstrike was a thing). Miles Morales as Ultimate Spiderman worked really well. Sam Wilson as Captain America even, works pretty damn well.
The Thor one really didn't, any more than it has the multiple other times they've done that storyline.
Not least because the 'unworthy' Thor is still noble and upstanding and heroic.

But the Captain Marvel movie is a) pretty far in the future, lotta universe building can occur in the meantime and b) has pretty strong precedent with the Inhumans and Ronan kicking around.
So, don't think it's ill-timed OR ill-thought out.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
SoulChaserJ said:
You mention Gina Carano but not Ronda Rousey....suspect list is suspect.
She's not a very good actress from what I've seen. I mean she's ok, but to try and hold a full dramatic main role? Nah, I don't think she's got the talent for that. She can kick ass like nobody's business sure, but not really act.

Of those listed, I would have to say my personal choices would be a tie between Charlise and Ms. Sakoff. I think they've both got the acting capability to give the character some actual depth and dimension, while also being totally believable in an action role.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
SoulChaserJ said:
She's not a very good actress from what I've seen. I mean she's ok, but to try and hold a full dramatic main role? Nah, I don't think she's got the talent for that. She can kick ass like nobody's business sure, but not really act.

Of those listed, I would have to say my personal choices would be a tie between Charlise and Ms. Sakoff. I think they've both got the acting capability to give the character some actual depth and dimension, while also being totally believable in an action role.
The idea was that Gina Carano is a horrid actress. If TC mentioned Gina as an option then why not Ronda? If I had to choose a real actress to play Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel then I'd have to go with Emily Blunt. She proved she could pull it off playing against Tom Cruise's almost tolerable character in Futuristic Groundhog's Day....errrr...Edge of Tomorrow....err....Live, die, repeat...ugh

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Any chance people may be interested in a brown Captain Marvel? Indians / brown people have almost no representation in most movies, let alone superhero flicks.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
im also surprised not to see Emily Blunt mentioned. honestly, though, and as much as people will surely jump down my throat about this, i believe Jennifer Lawrence would be the ideal choice.

from what ive read about the character, someone of Lawrence's age may be the most appropriate, despite the uninitiated blindly insisting that she is too young for the role...

"The suggested timeline is that Carol is born in 1938, joins the Air Force in 1956, joins the CIA in 1963 (her CIA cases are pretty firmly set in the early 60s in the published flashbacks), and joins NASA in 1967 (the publication date). She leaves NASA in 1975 and becomes the editor of Woman magazine in 1977 (the publication date).
Beyond the publication dates, there are unusually clear data points establishing Danvers as being quite older than ?modern? super-heroes. At one point we see Warren Worthington III, aged about 12, in the same scene as Danvers, aged about 26 ; we also know that Carol was busted out of Lubyanka when Rogue was about nine years old. Lastly Danvers seems to be of roughly the same age as the Black Widow, who has a documented anagathic factor, whenever they cross paths.

This chronology leads to the conclusion that Danvers? ageing is considerably slowed down, and/or that she was rejuvenated. Her ageing likely starts slowing down in 1958 - in 1977 she looks about 28 or 30 whereas by our timeline she should be pushing forty, and in 2007 she can?t look a day older than 32 whereas by our timeline she would be nearly 70." - See more at: http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=4493#sthash.dIWsQvFh.dpuf

given that the film is scheduled to be released in November of 2018, that would put Jennifer at 27 at the time of filming, and given that she has a naturally youthful appearance, this would serve the franchise well in the long run, just as it has for X-Men, what with Mystiques slow aging properties coinciding with Jennifer's appearance. as awesome a job as i think Emily Blunt would do with the part, i dont think it would be particularly wise to cast someone in their mid-thirties to play a character who apparently ages very slowly. while Lawrence would be 27 at the time of shooting the first film, Blunt would be pushing 35. and a sequel would probably be shot post-2020.

aside from that, Captain Marvel would supposedly be the most powerful member of The Avengers by the time she is introduced, so it would probably also be of benefit to the franchise if she is played by someone whose star power rivals that of Robert Downey Jr.

i cant see her taking the part, but Lawrence does seem to be the most appropriate choice, as far as known performers go. honestly, it seems like a great opportunity. she is obviously a bit burnt out by the blockbusters, but since she is now officially finished with The Hunger Games, and Apocalypse will likely be her final X-Men film, she could replace the two of them with Captain Marvel, which would see her doing a blockbuster film once every few years, rather than every single year. and speaking of The Hunger Games, i believe Francis Lawrence would be an excellent choice (and i also think they should not hire a female director simply for the sake of hiring a female director). he has done an excellent job with the last couple of HG films, and since Carol Danvers is apparently a more serious character, he would be a great choice for director.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
SoulChaserJ said:
Happyninja42 said:
SoulChaserJ said:

The idea was that Gina Carano is a horrid actress. If TC mentioned Gina as an option then why not Ronda? If I had to choose a real actress to play Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel then I'd have to go with Emily Blunt. She proved she could pull it off playing against Tom Cruise's almost tolerable character in Futuristic Groundhog's Day....errrr...Edge of Tomorrow....err....Live, die, repeat...ugh
Never seen Gina Carano act, so I can't speak to her talent. I'd be up for Emily Blunt sure, I've yet to see her in a role that I didn't like, and she can definitely do the action bits, if her Edge of Tomorrow performance is any indication.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Interesting, Captain Marvel. One of the few female heroes that are actually interesting that I'd be happy seeing a movie from (someday people will realize what a dud Wonder Woman really is).

I'm still holding out for Sif though.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
SKBPinkie said:
Any chance people may be interested in a brown Captain Marvel? Indians / brown people have almost no representation in most movies, let alone superhero flicks.
I personally wouldn't like it. I want to see the character I know on screen, coming to life.

More over, I think putting a brown character in to replace a white character is cheap and lazy. (Though, Ms. Marvel is a female version of an existing Male character already) I want to see original IP of brown characters. More like Blade, Cyborg, Deathlock, Spawn and Falcon. (And really, why no remake of Spawn? Desperately needs a reboot.)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
SKBPinkie said:
I would be interested in a Captain Marvel. Were said hero darker or lighter then it would not make it better or worse. If I liked a movie more because of the race of the actor/actress then that would be racist, no?

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Lightknight said:
SKBPinkie said:
I would be interested in a Captain Marvel. Were said hero darker or lighter then it would not make it better or worse. If I liked a movie more because of the race of the actor/actress then that would be racist, no?
I'm not saying the movie would be better or worse for it, but just asking for representation, that's all.

Seeing how the comics have an arc where she is brown, I was just wondering if the movie might have that as well.