6 Ways Game of Thrones Surpasses Its Source Material

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Oh, an article about the ways in which a TV adaption is superior to a series of books ... no way this is going to be contentious at all.

1. Better Pacing
Wait, what? Really? Well paced?
Not that the first 4 seasons are poorly paced, but, then again, neither are the books they're based on. It's only until AFFC that the pacing suffers, yet, the claim that the adaptation of AFFC and ADWD (season 5) was well paced is absolutely laughable. I stand by my opinion that AFFC (and ADWD to a lesser extent) were more bloated than necessary, but season 5 was much further from appropriate pacing in the opposite direction, being way too rushed.

2 & 3 are basically variations of "I like visuals more than text", which doesn't really add anything. It's kind of like saying that games are better than film because you can play them. Now, I get that this is an opinion piece, but it just feels about the same as writing an article about why Pepsi taste better than Coke, or Tea is better than Coffee.

4. Is rather baffling to me. I get the idea of Renly's sexuality playing a more prominent role, but I don't see any other examples of how less subtlety is better. Even then, Renly's sexuality was barely explored in any meaningful way until the fifth season with the Sparrows. Up until that point it only really served various quips and the occasional "sexposition", so very little has been gained.

5. Well, I feel this one has already been summed up by others.
Jandau said:
5. Yes, warmer characters. Like when Jaime rapes his sister next to his dead son's body. That (completely unnecessary) reinterpretation of the books really made viewers warm up to him, right? Or that 10 minute scene of Joffrey beating up prostitutes in Season 2 - that one was really crucial, wasn't it? The show changed some characters - some were made more sympathetic (Hound, Sansa) and some were demonized (Joffrey was a shit in the books, but in the show he is a total monster; Jaime was pretty much gutted in comparison to the books), and not all changes were for the better.
Pretty much this. Some of the characters got "warmer", others became more villainous. Most of them lost a lot of depth, and have been rather whitewashed.

6. This is pretty much the only point I can more or less agree on, with a few caveats. The most obvious being that they've cut out a lot of characters for the show, and given far less screen time to others due to time constraints. But I can agree that a point of view less constrained to a small roster of characters does help freshen things up at times, plus it gives makes up for valuable exposition opportunities lost by the absence of a narrator.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
FirstNameLastName said:
Oh, an article about the ways in which a TV adaption is superior to a series of books ... no way this is going to be contentious at all.

1. Better Pacing
Wait, what? Really? Well paced?
Not that the first 4 seasons are poorly paced, but, then again, neither are the books they're based on. It's only until AFFC that the pacing suffers, yet, the claim that the adaptation of AFFC and ADWD (season 5) was well paced is absolutely laughable. I stand by my opinion that AFFC (and ADWD to a lesser extent) were more bloated than necessary, but season 5 was much further from appropriate pacing in the opposite direction, being way too rushed.

2 & 3 are basically variations of "I like visuals more than text", which doesn't really add anything. It's kind of like saying that games are better than film because you can play them. Now, I get that this is an opinion piece, but it just feels about the same as writing an article about why Pepsi taste better than Coke, or Tea is better than Coffee.

4. Is rather baffling to me. I get the idea of Renly's sexuality playing a more prominent role, but I don't see any other examples of how less subtlety is better. Even then, Renly's sexuality was barely explored in any meaningful way until the fifth season with the Sparrows. Up until that point it only really served various quips and the occasional "sexposition", so very little has been gained.

5. Well, I feel this one has already been summed up by others.
Jandau said:
5. Yes, warmer characters. Like when Jaime rapes his sister next to his dead son's body. That (completely unnecessary) reinterpretation of the books really made viewers warm up to him, right? Or that 10 minute scene of Joffrey beating up prostitutes in Season 2 - that one was really crucial, wasn't it? The show changed some characters - some were made more sympathetic (Hound, Sansa) and some were demonized (Joffrey was a shit in the books, but in the show he is a total monster; Jaime was pretty much gutted in comparison to the books), and not all changes were for the better.
Pretty much this. Some of the characters got "warmer", others became more villainous. Most of them lost a lot of depth, and have been rather whitewashed.

6. This is pretty much the only point I can more or less agree on, with a few caveats. The most obvious being that they've cut out a lot of characters for the show, and given far less screen time to others due to time constraints. But I can agree that a point of view less constrained to a small roster of characters does help freshen things up at times, plus it gives makes up for valuable exposition opportunities lost by the absence of a narrator.
Thanks, I'll try to ponder on these a bit.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
I love the show because it has now diverged from its source material. Some points of the books it does add to and craft beautifully, however so much is changed and committed, the show runners themselves have opted to tell a different story breaking from the same beginnings as the book's story. It allows BOTH to be brilliant master works in their own right, rather than this BOOKS BEAT SHOW business.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Finland mentioned!
Back on topic, I respectfully disagree with most of these points. One of the biggest flaw I think the show has is that the makers, instead of making scenes where the plot moves ahead, they instead want to make nude-scenes, that have next to nothing to do with the overall story.

Another flaw, does it feel like to anyone else that the show-Westeros is kinda, empty? Where are the minor Houses that support the Great Houses? granted, they don't have much to do with the story, but it made this continent feel alive.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I thought the fight between the Viper and the Mountain was better in the books. You got the sense that it was a much closer fight with Oberyn staying just ahead by using his wits and cheating a bit with a very shiny shield to reflect the sun, where in the series he was just showing off like some kind of idiot for most of the fight. And some poor bystander in the crowd gets chopped in half as well.