6 Wondrous Technologies We Take for Granted (and Complain about)

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
6 Wondrous Technologies We Take for Granted (and Complain about)

There are technologies that we make use of today that are, for all intents and purposes, magic to some people. Yet we still groan and complain about them.

Read Full Article

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ah, you beat me to Louis CK. What a bastard. True though, people take that shit for granted.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I'm getting the feeling the escapist is starting to turn into cracked...

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Keoul said:
I'm getting the feeling the escapist is starting to turn into cracked...
It's because that website model is extremely effective. If you click on subsequent links from a page, that boosts their retention numbers, which means they can sell ads for more money. If you don't like this kind of content, don't click on it.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
I read this entire article in an old man voice. "Back in my day..."

I do, however, make a conscious effort every day not to take modern technology for granted. Not to mention bitching about minor incoveniences of miracles of science absolutely smacks of entitlement and the dreaded "White People Problems".

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Wifi, digital cameras, computers and electricity are things I appreciate every day in my work. I don't take them for granted. :)

Byte2222

Jul 2, 2012
As an electronic engineering PhD student who has worked on comms, space and device technology, this article speaks to me in a profound way

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
When I think of modern technology, I think back to my childhood and specifically a Saturday morning TV show called Going Live and on that, one April 1st, they had a new piece of technology that could play any song you could think of almost instantly. At the time (I'm guessing about 1987/88ish) this was just an April Fools gag. But this is now a piece of technology that most of us take for granted.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
weirdsoup said:
When I think of modern technology, I think back to my childhood and specifically a Saturday morning TV show called Going Live and on that, one April 1st, they had a new piece of technology that could play any song you could think of almost instantly. At the time (I'm guessing about 1987/88ish) this was just an April Fools gag. But this is now a piece of technology that most of us take for granted.
That's incredible. You wouldn't happen to be able to find a link to that video clip somewhere?

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Rhykker said:
weirdsoup said:
That's incredible. You wouldn't happen to be able to find a link to that video clip somewhere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrAuFJjdN8

And watching it back, there's also Micro SD cards on there too