6 Year Old Drives To School Courtesy Of "GTA Skills"

Feb 13, 2008
6 Year Old Drives To School Courtesy Of "GTA Skills"

A six-year-old used the skills he learned playing GTA to drive himself to school - or at least part of the way there.

The unnamed boy apparently was so distraught at the idea of missing P.E. class that when he missed the school bus, he jumped into his parents' Taurus and sped off after it. He later told police that he learned to drive by playing GTA and Monster Truck Jam.

He should've stuck with the controller; less than five miles later, he made a couple of 90 degree turns, went off the road twice and finally smashed into a utility pole.

After bending the car around the pole, he got out and started walking into school. Does anyone like P.E. that much?

The boy's parents, Jacqulyn Deana Waltman, 26, and David Eugene Dodson, 40, are being charged with child endangerment, whilst the boy and his 4 year old brother are being taken into protective custody.

Northumberland County Sheriff, Chuck Wilkins, said "This really is a story of miracles. The Lord was with him, along with everybody else on the highway."

Does anyone else wonder what a six-year-old was doing playing GTA in the first place?

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5124816/grand-theft-auto-helping-six-year-olds-drive-to-school] courtesy of thebobmaster.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Does anyone else wonder what a six-year-old was doing playing GTA in the first place?
After working at an EB Games (Gamestop), I've given up hope on parents actually watching what their kids play. The kid is lucky to be alive! I think the sheriff hit the nail on the head.

That kid must really really like PE class.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Dam. Its not the driving the school that freaks me out, that just hilarious, and pretty clever for a 6 year old to do.

But what the fuck was this kid doing playing GTA?

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Parents were charged with child endangerment, maybe if we keep pointing to that fact enough, other parents might think twice about getting their darling snowflake Goresplosion Bloodsplatterfest 7.

Incidentally, if any game designers just happen to be reading, Goresplosion Bloodsplatterfest would be an awesome franchise that myself and many other ADHD-having manchildren will love to death.

smartalec

Sep 12, 2008
he made a couple of 90 degree turns, went off the road twice and finally smashed into a utility pole.
This does sound exactly like my GTA playing sessions.

CulexVanda

Dec 20, 2008
Where were the parents at the time he missed the bus and who in their right mind gives a six yr old GTA

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I love how he said GTA and monster truck jam, but the article heading just says GTA.

Not helping in the least, Kotaku. >_>

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
smartalec said:
he made a couple of 90 degree turns, went off the road twice and finally smashed into a utility pole.
This does sound exactly like my GTA playing sessions.
Yeah, you can't have skills at driving in GTA; the poit is to do the most epic crashes.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Why the hell is a 6 year old kid playing GTA in the first place? Nice parenting, who here bets they blame the game?

Mister Shades

Jul 10, 2008
I'd really like anyone who really believes a 6 year old learned to drive using GTA to play the game and compare it to their first driving lessons... theres no way this kid actually drove himself, or at least have no experience beforehand.

stevetastic

Oct 22, 2008
Northumberland County Sheriff, Chuck Wilkins, said "This really is a story of miracles. The Lord was with him, along with everybody else on the highway."

He wasn't saved by the lord... but by a game about maiming hookers.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
I love how he said GTA and monster truck jam, but the article heading just says GTA.

Not helping in the least, Kotaku. >_>
What's the betting that when Fox get hold of this Monster Truck Jam will mysteriously disappear.
He really did take GTA to heart, the moment the car became useless he just carried on towards the objective, Tommy Verceti would be proud.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Why would he want to go to PE? He's clearly a gamer, and it is a known fact that gamers hate physical activity.

Neo Kojiro

Mar 19, 2008
Wait, what? I read this article in the humor section of my local newspaper today, but i didn't hear a damn thing about GTA. So, either my paper cut out the stupid parts, or some moron added this to spice things up some.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
God was with him that day, not modern day cars that have crumple zones...

I'm sorry, but this is funny.