Three Million Copies or No Sequel for Medal of Honor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Three Million Copies or No Sequel for Medal of Honor

Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Limited-Pc/dp/B002ZJPYHS/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1284132118&sr=1-3] Executive Producer Greg Goodrich says the game needs to sell at least three million copies or you can forget about a sequel.

Medal of Honor is a big-budget game and it's getting a big-budget promotional push from New York Times [http://www.ea.com] that if it doesn't ring up at least three million copies, "I'm not going to be able to do another one."

EA is setting its sights high in order to achieve that goal. It used over 100 microphones to record weapons fire at Fort Irwin in California, attached microphones to Apache helicopters to record takeoff and landing sounds and even recorded the sound of incoming fire by putting mics on targets that the helicopters destroyed. The company also hired special operations soldiers to consult on the game, who actually advised the developers to step back a bit from the real deal.

The original plan for the game was to recreate the 2002 operation Anaconda, including a battle in which Neil Roberts, a Navy SEAL, fell out of a helicopter and was dragged away and killed by Al Qaeda fighters. The game at that stage "resembled very closely events overseas that involved friends of ours that had been killed," explained one consultant, who went by the name of Coop. "We thought it hit a little too close to home" and would "put a sour taste in our brothers' mouths."

"They're selling authenticity and realism. We wanted to help bring that to the table," he added. "But we also wanted to make sure it didn't go too far." As a result, Medal of Honor is now "authentic and plausible," Goodrich said, rather than "accurate and realistic."

Medal of Honor comes out on October 12 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Ill probably buy it, or get it as an xmas present or something. 2,999,999 to go then eh?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
WHY did it get all these sounds? WHY does it have to be the real noise? WHY spend all that money when it could easily have been made cheaply in a recording sutdio? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, games are about as real as anybody wants them, can't we just make them fun?

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
tk1989 said:
Ill probably buy it, or get it as an xmas present or something. 2,999,999 to go then eh?
2,999,98 more...

As long as I have enough money lying around. I also intend to get LBP 2, as well as AC: Brotherhood. If I'm not totally broke, I will pick it up.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
No one buy it! Send a message to these jerks and tell them "no more repetitive shooters! We demand innovation and imagination!"

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
That's a pretty solid mark to hit. Best of luck to them, although I doubt they'll easily breach it.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Id rather they just remake Allied Assault and Frontline with HD Graphics.

The Great JT said:
No one buy it! Send a message to these jerks and tell them "no more repetitive shooters! We demand innovation and imagination!"
'We' don't demand innovation and imagination, what people who play video games demand from developers now a days is 'fun'.

If you want innovation and imagination you should probably demand it from technology as a whole.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Makes sense, why make a sequel if it won't sell? But I'm passing on it... whole $60 PC retail thing again.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
The Great JT said:
Why? So CoD can have the market of repetetive shooters all to its self? If there's more shooters on the market then that's how innovation happens. Competition leads to ingenuity, and monopoly leads to stagnation.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
I also really wish the consultants hadn't convinced them to change the details. How else are people going to learn about and truly understand the experience of the war and its consequences for both sides if they don't get a relatively true-to-life acount?

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Charcharo said:
You lost a sale. Im not paying almost half of what the minimum wage is here for this game.
ALso you are setting you sights too high. Its like WW2 games several years ago only instead of WW2 we have USA vs random guy with a silly hat or a Russain soldier. There a lot of competition.
You mean the war in afghanistan....cant really think of many shooters that have encompassed that recently.

I for one am getting it, they seem to have put a lot of work into it, yes the MP seemed a little too similar to BC2 but i liked the overall feel of it since it came down to teamwork to win a game not just LOLOLOLOLZ SPAM TUBEZ!!!!!!!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
tlozoot said:
The Great JT said:
Why? So CoD can have the market of repetetive shooters all to its self? If there's more shooters on the market then that's how innovation happens. Competition leads to ingenuity, and monopoly leads to stagnation.
No, because if it sells well, it means that they'll just keep making sequels that don't add anything new to the gameplay and is completely carried by the online multiplayer.

Halo, Madden and Call of Duty get away with it, and they're horrible enough as it is. I don't want to see more game franchises get away with re-hashing their first games with next to no additions.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It's been said, but really going to all that effort to record gunfire? Considering that most gamers would have trouble telling the difference between a modern rocket launcher hitting a modern tank and a WWII rocket launcher hitting a WWII tank. Are there no SFX libraries that have this sort of thing, or have all the modern day shooters gone out with microphones to a army base? Foaly department anyone?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Authentic and plausible is good. We've all seen how too much realism can be a very, very boring thing, and destroy the escapism that we play games for in the first place.

Apr 28, 2008
Daveman said:
WHY did it get all these sounds? WHY does it have to be the real noise? WHY spend all that money when it could easily have been made cheaply in a recording sutdio? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, games are about as real as anybody wants them, can't we just make them fun?
And they ***** about high costs of making games...

Maybe if they didn't do crap like this, they'd be able to save a nice chunk of money.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, they can count me out. I've got Vanquish and Enslaved to get, after all!

Maybe if I get some cash for Christmas, though.