Levine Explains BioShock Infinite's Civil War

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Levine Explains BioShock Infinite's Civil War

There's a war being fought in Columbia, and BioShock Infinite's lead designer Ken Levine says that the inspiration for the conflict was taken from the tumultuous twentieth century.

It's no secret that a hefty slice of the first BioShock was inspired by Ayn Rand's objectivist philosophy, which gave the game a depth that most lack. Irrational wants to add similar depth to its spiritual successor, BioShock Infinite, and has drawn on political movements and ideologies to create the game's rival factions.

The floating city of Columbia is being ravaged by civil war, as the two factions vie for control. Currently holding the reins of power is an ultranationalist group that promotes the good of the city ahead of all other concerns, while rejecting outside influence. The group will protect Columbia at all costs, including taking up arms against anyone who would try to change things. According to Levine, this ruling class is based on various nationalist movements that have sprung up over the years, as the feelings that inspire them wax and wane over time.

While the faction isn't solely based on current events, Levine admitted that the kind of feelings espoused by the ultranationalists weren't unknown in modern day America. "There's definitely a component in America today that nationalism is extremely important to certain people - a sense that America is a separate case," he said. "It's something I've always found fascinating. It's an interesting element to divide over - where you're born. It's kind of an accident, right? ... It's interesting to me how important those [divides] become to people and I wanted to explore that."

Opposing the nationalists is a group calling themselves the "Vox Populi" - which means voice of the people in Latin - which believes that all people should be treated equally in Columbia, regardless of their race or beliefs. Levine called the group "passionate," and compared it to grass-roots student campaigns that become more militant as they become more organized, like the Red Army Faction, which violently opposed what it saw as fascist elements in West German government in the 1970's.

"This group starts out as a confederation of like-minded people," Levine said. "As it becomes more serious and more organized, there becomes a need to enforce an ideology, an order, and a hierarchy... it also becomes more brutal. There becomes a line to toe. Different leaders emerge and some leaders aren't as successful as other leaders, and you can imagine what happens to them. They get pushed aside and a unified ideology comes into place."

What's going to be interesting about BioShock Infinite is that neither of these factions can really be called the "good guys." It seems that Infinite will be more morally ambiguous than previous BioShock games, with players constantly having to choose the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, BioShock Infinite isn't out until 2012, so we've got a long time to wait before we'll get to make that choice.

Source: Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/09/12/columbia-a-city-divided.aspx?PostPageIndex=1]

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Ugh, I like the philophy and politics of Bioshock, and yet this game also makes no sense. Didn't Andrew Ryan found Rapture because there was never a place like it that existed, far away form humanity?

Now they're making it sound like Rapture was inspired by Columbia. THe time line gets confusing

Apr 28, 2008
Well it sounds like we'll have more choices than "kill child" or "save child". Good. Especially when that choice doesn't even matter, since in the end you end up with the same amount of ADAM anyways...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Ugh, I like the philophy and politics of Bioshock, and yet this game also makes no sense. Didn't Andrew Ryan found Rapture because there was never a place like it that existed, far away form humanity?

Now they're making it sound like Rapture was inspired by Columbia. THe time line gets confusing
I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you a half dozen tie-in novels that explain everything and they can be yours for only $15 each, where else can you get a bargain like that?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, talk abou t stuffinf our life into the game slightly - Well, will make for an intresting background

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
manythings said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you a half dozen tie-in novels that explain everything and they can be yours for only $15 each, where else can you get a bargain like that?
Um... Hell?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
manythings said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

Um... Hell?
The Devil does love his tie-in novels, I'll give you that.

May 25, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:

Andrew Ryan didn't create Rapture just to prove that he can build giant cities underwater. He did to escape society itself. He was sick of al the unspoken rules and obligations that society forced on its residents and wanted brilliant minds to embrace their true potential without being held back by censorship or laws (which incidentally is why Rapture is so fucked up).

It is a bit overkill to build a city undewater just for that though, but then the game wouldn't be as interesting if you just ran around frozen meadows in Greenland now would it?

Rapture could potentially have been inspired by Columbia. But we'll never know until the game is released. Personally, I'm really interested in seeing where Irrational takes the story they have created.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
The group will project Columbia at all costs, including taking up arms against anyone who would try to change things.
Shouldn't that be "protect Columbia"?

Though projecting Columbia might be interesting too... ;)

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
It'll be interesting to see how it this turns out, but I'm a little disappointed that the "liberal" faction doesn't seem to have that much of a connection to current politics. A satire of the current situation in America would make for a pretty engaging story IMO.

manythings said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

The original Bioshock games were pretty self-contained, so I don't see why this spin-off wouldn't be as well.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:

That's assuming it's going to be a direct sequel/prequel, which it may be, but it also may be another game with the Bioshock title. Kind of like Final Fantasy... maybe. I don't know. It would probably be better that way. If they tried to tie it in, it would definitely get confusing.

But I don't really see how Columbia could relate all that much to Rapture, seeing as how there's 50 years between the two and the political ideologies are quite different. But, I really hope they just say they are unrelated. That would make it easier to understand.

OT: Sounds really interesting. I enjoy thinking games like these. Sometimes I do just like to hop on turtles, but sometimes I also like to explore a dystopian ideal as well.

rookie.of.the.year

Jul 30, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:

I was like that when I first watched the trailer, but I also watched an interview, and infinate is in an Alternate Universe so it makes sense.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

Andrew Ryan didn't create Rapture just to prove that he can build giant cities underwater. He did to escape society itself. He was sick of al the unspoken rules and obligations that society forced on its residents and wanted brilliant minds to embrace their true potential without being held back by censorship or laws (which incidentally is why Rapture is so fucked up).

It is a bit overkill to build a city undewater just for that though, but then the game wouldn't be as interesting if you just ran around frozen meadows in Greenland now would it?

Rapture could potentially have been inspired by Columbia. But we'll never know until the game is released. Personally, I'm really interested in seeing where Irrational takes the story they have created.
Well the game IS set about 30 years before Bioshock 1. Factor in that Rapture was already destroyed, seemed to be in a good decade of ruins, and that the audio tapes seem to indicate many years of everything that was going on (the break throughs and such) and you can asusme that Columbia existed while Andrew Ryan was alive.

It would be neat to see if he attempted a coup in Columbia and failed, but Andrew specifically says at some point that there was no place to go in order to be set apart by the world. Maybe Andrew Ryan created Columbia, and the the nationalist parties took it over to he escaped to Rapture, but Ryan always appears to be in his 30s-40s... So it's hard to tell the lineage through his potential age and the turn of things

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
How are they going to make the Vox Populi evil? I just can't see a group of people dedicated to equality and passion being evil...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
boholikeu said:
It'll be interesting to see how it this turns out, but I'm a little disappointed that the "liberal" faction doesn't seem to have that much of a connection to current politics. A satire of the current situation in America would make for a pretty engaging story IMO.

manythings said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

The original Bioshock games were pretty self-contained, so I don't see why this spin-off wouldn't be as well.
Well if they did do it as allegory for America then it would just be ANOTHER allegory for america today. The of course you would have "National Burn a copy of Bioshock Infinite day" which would probably be interesting to watch as the idiots all poison themselves and the area they live in.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
TheTaco007 said:
How are they going to make the Vox Populi evil? I just can't see a group of people dedicated to equality and passion being evil...
Che Guevara wasn't a nice man...

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
am i the only one that sees bioshock for what it is an unorigonal badly made system shock clone