Activision Declines Use of In-Game Ads Out of "Respect"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Activision Declines Use of In-Game Ads Out of "Respect"

Activision's apparent new stance on in-game advertisements is that they aren't necessary.

Just when evidence had come out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103474-In-Game-Ads-Are-Effective-So-Get-Ready-For-More] indicating that in-game advertisements have a positive effect on consumer spending, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has indicated a reluctance to use them at all. In comments made at a media conference today, Kotick stated that in-game ads are disrespectful to his customers.

Despite a perception by some [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102062-Psychonauts-Creator-Calls-Bobby-Kotick-Names] that Kotick is all about profit, he alleges that Activision is not focused on making that profit through in-game ads. "There was a time where we thought advertising and sponsorship was a big opportunity, but what we realized is our customers are paying $60 for a game or paying a monthly subscription fee and they don't really want to be barraged with sponsorship or advertising," Kotick said. "So being very respectful of our audiences, unless it's something that's really authentic and will enhance the game experience, we're generally not going to include something in the game."

"There may be future opportunities where you might offer a consumer an advertiser-supported experience so they wouldn't have to pay for it," he continued. "But as long as our audience is paying $60 for a game or a subscription fee I think we're going to limit the amount of advertising or sponsorship incorporated into a game."

This could go a long way for Kotick's image in the eyes of gamers. In-game advertising makes sense in certain titles, like Diablo III [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Tony-Hawk-Skateboard-Bundle/dp/B0029TQV4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284602730&sr=8-2] and you see a Pepsi can monster that shakes himself up and fizzes on you as an attack. Thankfully, Activison has no plans to implement such a thing.

Source: IGN [http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1120864p1.html]

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
[sub]Snake drinks the best soda ever made.[/sub]

*ahem*

This is a very good thing for Activision to be doing. I for one, hate seeing in-game advertisements. Good for them, and I can't believe these words are coming out of my mouth, but....good for.....Bobby.....Kotick?

*gasp*

[sub]The end is upon us![/sub]

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Since when does Bobby Kotick care about what gamers thought of his products? I thought his usual stance was "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how much money I have."

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
You want to see annoying and prevalent in game ads, check out Blur...or really most racing titles. Made by...oh, that's right.

Otherwise a fantastic game though.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Selective assholism is still assholism guys, except now it's also manipulative.
You know what? This is pretty good, spot on.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
... Well, its nice to see activision's PR department actually doing it's job, but this is crap.

They're likely opting out of ads because they can't get enough money for them and the interested parties are making too many demands (can't be destructible, no decals, must guarantee x amount of screen time, etc). Their development houses are likely, also saying, "Uh, no?"

As far as activision's reputation... its not like all other corporations operate in any other way.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Nice to see that the last, best hope of humanity's increasing his Karma level.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
I wouldn't mind in-game ads as long as they meet 2 conditions:
1) Do not look "forced"
2) Lowering the price of the game, drastically.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
I think Kotick is kind of missing the point of in-game ads. The idea is that if you get a ton of sponsorship, you don't have to charge $60 or use subscription fees, not that you get the sponsorship and charge $60 and use subscription fees. That's the theory anyway. Notice how often it's actually been put in practice...

I'm looking at you, Madden '11.

So basically what this amounts to (metaphorically) is Bobby Kotick standing up there at the microphone at a press conference, not saying anything, shrugging, and then stepping back down having expressed exactly no thought.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
You find it disrespectful to the customer? How about charging 15 dollars for a map pack you assholes, one of them having 2 maps from and old game.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
In game ads are far better than a subscription fee, or paid DLC, or something. It just has to fit the setting. A fantasy world, for instance, would be ruined by advertisements. A modern setting, like any racing game, or games like Battlefield 2, can fit almost any ad into the game, and almost increase immersion, certainly not decrease it. A sci-fi game can almost get away with ads, but they'd have to be done right.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I agree that in game ad's are bullshit. If I pay for a gmae, then I don't want to see any ads. If I get the game for free, then I guess I could deal with some ads, but I doubt any company would do that.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I dunno, Naked Snake looks pretty awesome in that Mountain Dew t-shirt. Seriously though, I can't really think of any games I played where in-game advertising was a pain in the ass or anything. The only thing that even comes to mind is Dodge ads in Crackdown and all the Apple stuff in Metal Gear Solid 4, but neither of them were out of place or focused on.

SimuLord said:
Nice to see that the last, best hope of humanity's increasing his Karma level.
How the hell Kotick is at Last, Best Hope of Humanity instead of Scourge of Humanity right now is something I'm having some trouble figuring out.