Sonic Begins Dreamcast Revival on XBLA and PSN

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sonic Begins Dreamcast Revival on XBLA and PSN

The Dreamcast might be long dead, but its games are making a big comeback starting with the re-release of Sonic Adventure.

Sonic Adventure, one of Sonic the Hedgehog's first 3D excursions, was better received than its modern day 3D counterparts when first released on the Dreamcast in 1999. Today, the Dreamcast is but a dream itself, but Sega is repackaging its games for digital release, starting with Sonic Adventure on XBLA today (and PSN on the 21st).

But to be quite honest, Sonic Adventure on XBLA isn't getting the best early reviews [http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-adventure], as it seems to hold the same flaws of its Gamecube remake, Sonic Adventure DX (a "director's cut"), which gamers didn't like quite as much as the original. Still, it's a piece of history, and if you want to check it out it'll be up to you to decide if it's a piece of anything else too.

A DLC pack is also available to convert the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure into the DX release, which includes additional missions and a playable Metal Sonic. The original game features multiple playable characters, but the best part is playing as good old Sonic when he has to escape from a marauding killer whale.

Whether Sonic Adventure will be enjoyed by people or not, a positive aspect of its release is that it heralds the beginning of what hopefully becomes a Dreamcast flood on modern machines. Crazy Taxi is already scheduled for future release, as are other unannounced Dreamcast titles according to Sega. The Dreamcast didn't have the most amazing lineup of all time, but it did have a few gems like Shenmue [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100287-Is-Shenmue-Coming-to-XBLA] and Power Stone that it would be nice to see again.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Oh hell yeah! The one downside of my collection over the years is a disgusting lack of Dreamcast... now I can at least partly make up for it by getting to play Sonic Adventure. Well, I can on the 21st, anyway.

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
I would be more happy about this. Fortunately for me I still have my Dreamcast version. YAY!

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I still have a Dreamcast, but I don't have Sonic Adventure anymore so yippee!
Now just re-release the Jet Set games.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I would buy this, except I still have a Dreamcast and original copy of Sonic Adventure. And I love them both, yes I dooooooo. (Fishing be damned)

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
HURRAH! o.o

Seriously, my first ed' copy of Sonic Adventure 2 .. in fact both my copies, weirdly .. has been crashing out on the first boss for years now x.x

Dreamcast SA1 still works fine though. And I wonder if there's any chance I'll finally get to play Jetset Radio Future without an XBox.

.. In fact all that said stuff that, actually revive the Dreamcast you jerks >.>

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
I am going to buy this just so I don't have to hook up meh Dreamcast. Freakin' sweet. Plus, the Director's stuff sounds pretty cool.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
I did not realize DX was the first but redone. I owned it and liked it, though much less than SA2/B. I WILL be getting it again on 360.

Side note: Chao Garden online modes please!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see its seeing a revival - Even if not on the original console - Its still nice to see the classics get some light on other services

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Jet Set Radio would be epic. It's really the only game I miss playing from the Dreamcast days that han't been made available as DLC on modern consoles already. Skies of Arcadia and Powerstone 2 would be nice too.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
My Dreamcast is sadly deceased, so I'm perfectly happy to buy all the awesome DC games I had all over again.

And feed my need for achievement whoring at the same time. Double win!

Woem

May 28, 2009
And on iPhone! Let's not forget the second most used portable device.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Sonic Adventure is a bona-fide classic. I didn't hesitate to buy it when it came out on the XBLA. Just listening to the Station Square music made me pine for the glorious Dreamcast days*sigh*.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Give me Shenmue and Jet Set Radio and I'm in. I own a DC, but most of the games I had are useless nowadays, so I'm interested in this.