A Fanboy's Guide to Fanboying

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
A Fanboy's Guide to Fanboying

Follow these few simple rules to avoid the wrath of the fanboy.

Read Full Article

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
You're not allowed to have an opinion on a game until you've played it.

I really agree with that. I have been proven wrong before because I prejudged a game.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Needs more swearing, questioning of the others sexual orientation, and saying that they've fucked my mother.

Other then that, dead on.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
You also can't judge a game unless you played it in it's native language, gotten 100%, and agree with my opinion on it.

Also, if you work for IGN, you also can't review a game, but that's for different reasons.

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
Yup. Perhaps someday we'll realize that civility and politeness are just as important on the internet as they are in real life. But I suspect that it will take a few generations for our social rules to catch up to our technology.

In the meantime: GIFT [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, well, this article clearly fails since the author hasn't read enough articles on fanboying to have an informed opinion on how to properly fanboy. Where's the references to Kleinhammer's 22nd Thesis in The Fanboy's Compendium: Volume 12? You also failed to make note of the famous Freudian treatise on Fanboyism And Why You Want To Sleep With Your Mother. How anyone could profess to call themselves a "fanboy/girl" without reading these very basic works is beyond me.

Lolz, gb2reading failface. This is blatant sarcasm. I enjoyed the article very much.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
You lost me at "it's not about the story" OFCOURSE it's about the story - games and we have evolved so far luckily that we can, and should, demand a good story and storytelling from games. I don't care if the game has incredible gameplay mechanics like Modern Warfare 2, if the story is horrible then I have no reason to play it. Same goes for movies and books, if the story isn't there, I'm not watching/reading any further, no matter how good the technical side is.
I think story and games are like looks and toys. if a toy looks amazing it may be crap to play with but you still have to get it just to look at it or if a toy is really fun to play with but looks OK you will still get it if it looks bad most likely you won't get it.

Traigus

Sep 7, 2010
You forgot about the people that played it on the wrong console / platform... because everyone knows that platform Z is the best and playing a game on platform H proves you are dumb and deserve what you get.

Seen this a lot recently when reviewers get a bad port as their review copy.. then the console haters get to play.

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
Shamus, I think that one person who missed the point of this is either a fanboy or fangirl. A person who reads something without thinking, jumps onto someone without seeing their justification for their opinion. A person so enamored by something that there couldn't possibly be anything else to it. I'm not going to explain your point on this though. That would take away the fun in seeing how many people can't read for meaning. By the way, hilarious and true.
Shamus Young said:
Let's keep a running count of how many people completely miss the satire.

The count is at: 1

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
/salutes

I thank you and America thanks you!

It reminded me of Sander Cohen's self-fanboy words really: "What's that look?! You don't like it, do you! I don't need to be judged by you...by ANYONE! SCREW YOU!! SCREW ALL YOU FUCKING DOUBTERS!! HERE'S WHAT I SAY TO ALL OF YOU!!!"

/nutcracker

:D

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Quite possibly one of the best articles on this site, as always Shamus, your writing is inspired.