Jack Thompson Found Guilty of Professional Misconduct

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Found Guilty of Professional Misconduct

A Florida judge has found Jack Thompson guilty on 27 of the 31 professional misconduct charges leveled against him in his disbarment trial.

GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/05/20/jack-thompson-guilty-27-31-misconduct-charges-says-bar-trial-judge-fl-supreme-court-must-]has the report on the decision, in which Judge Dava Tunis wrote, "After considering the arguments presented by the Florida Bar and the Respondent (Thompson), observing the Respondent's demeanor during the nine-day trial proceedings, and carefully reviewing the record consisting of four volumes of exhibits totaling 1700 pages and approximately 2400 pages of transcribed testimony, the Court finds that the facts, circumstances and evidence presented regarding the Respondent's conduct, supports a finding of guilt as to certain Florida Bar rules."

Among the charges of which Thompson was found guilty:

Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
Communicating the merits of the case with a judge before whom the proceeding is pending
Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge

The charges relate to Thompson's actions in an Alabama case in which he represented the families of two police officers and a police dispatcher who were killed by 18-year-old Bully [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Moore]declared a public nuisance and two counts relating to non-videogame matters.

A disciplinary hearing will be held to determine possible sanctions against Thompson on June 4, and Judge Tunis' full report is due to go to the Florida Supreme Court on September 2. Thompson, meanwhile, has made several allegations against Judge Tunis, including that she did not properly sign state-mandated loyalty oaths. He also has lawsuits outstanding against the Florida Bar and the Florida Supreme Court.

Detailed coverage of Thompson's bar trial, included transcripts of the proceedings, are available at GamePolitics.com [http://www.gamepolitics.com/category/bar-trial-series].

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
I'd just like to say, HAH! Serves the arrogant little man right.

Shame its unlikely to stop his senseless and pointless crusading to extend his 15 minutes of fame.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
I'm sad. Now who are we, the gaming community, going to openly mock and point at? Good going, American Justice System. You have ruined all our fun.

Oh well. I guess we'll have to find someone else. Fox news, anyone?

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
MWHAHAHAHAHA! >:D

Justice, done! A taste of his own medicine. Now he knows not to mess with gamers, else he gets his game-hater a$$ kicked into Oblivion (without any armor or weapons of course ;))

Yellow Scarf

May 15, 2008
I think he still hasn't changed. He'll keep being a loud voice against the gaming world, and all we can hope for is that people take him less seriously after this.

Or maybe, paradoxically, people will take him more seriously. the world is indeed a strange place.

Jayact

May 18, 2008
Haha, he deserved this, if not more. I mean, I understand his cause, but he's doing it in the wrong fashion. It should be up to the parents on whether or not they should have their kids play such games, not the law.
Anyway, I'm glad that some action is being taken against him.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Calobi said:
I'm sad. Now who are we, the gaming community, going to openly mock and point at? Good going, American Justice System. You have ruined all our fun.
Don't lose all hope. After he's disbarred, he'll probably still be representing himself in all his court cases, which will bring to mind that old adage about people who act as their own lawyer ("A fool for a lawyer and an ass for a client," which fits Jack Thompson about nicely although it's a bid mild).

People like him will never be out of our hair. They can only be removed with a shotgun and/or a chainsaw.