Half-Life 2 Remade in Incredible CGI

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Half-Life 2 Remade in Incredible CGI

It's a teaser trailer to a trailer for a movie that will never exist, and it's totally worth a few minutes of your time.

It's been years since the release of Half-Life 2, but Valve's sci-fi shooter still manages to excite and inspire gamers. Fan-films based on the game aren't exactly rare, but even so, animator Marco Spitoni's short CGI trailer is something pretty special.

Spitoni's work,I'm the Freeman, is designed to be a trailer to a movie that doesn't exist, and not just any movie either: the second part of a wholly imaginary Half-Life trilogy. The trailer above isn't the completed piece though, and Spitoni says that the full thing will have more content and tell a little bit more of the story. Spitoni works for Peter Jackson's digital effects studio Weta Digital as a previs supervisor, and has put I'm the Freeman together as a labor of love.

As part of the notes on the video, Spitoni said that he won't be following the games exactly, and has left himself some room for interpretation. He mentions the appearance of the train from Half-Life 1 as an example, saying that it represents the end of the first fictional Half-Life movie, as well as the nightmares that Gordon is having while the G-Man keeps him on ice.

With so much thought and planning having gone into it, it's kind of a shame that we won't ever get to see more than a few minutes of this fictional trilogy. Still, it's much better than nothing.

Source: Nerdcore [http://www.nerdcore.de/wp/2010/09/19/im-the-freeman-fanmade-halflife-2-movietrailer/]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
That looks slick, I'd see this over that Ultramarines movie any day.

Jul 22, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
That looks slick, I'd see this over that Ultramarines movie any day.
I don't get this.

Has there been an actual non-teaser trailer that everyone's seen?

I can't wait for the Ultramarines movie it sounds fine and I haven't seen the graphics yet...

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
It deserves badass voiceovers. Like:
Barney: "Now...about that beer I owed ya!"
Eli Vance: "I've seen a lot of things, too. Genocide, indescribable evil."
Alyx Vance: "They destroyed...everything."
Vortigaunt: "Da Freeman!"
Gordon Freeman: "..."

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
This video actually makes Freeman look cool. He's not just a pair of hands carrying a gun around he's... y'know, doing something.

I'd help fund this to make it a real movie. Not much, but I'd put money in a charity box for it or something like that.

Apr 19, 2010
Now this gets to accompany all the others in the category of; Will never happen no matter how much every last competent person wants it to.
Which is so very, very sad.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
ciortas1 said:
I don't get it. Why do people say this has incredible graphics? They look rather poor for Hollywood, if anything.
Well, first off, it was done by one guy. Second off, it's a YouTube video, and YouTube most likely does some compression of the videos to make them take less space, which also makes it lower quality.

I think that this is teriffic work, and it really seems to fit with the general feel of the Half-Life series. The battles were very well-shot, and the shaky-cam was actually well-implemented. It wobbled a bit here and there, but still allowed you to see what was going on, unlike some movies I could name... but won't to avoid flamewars.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
looks sweet however I dont think it would make good as a film, if there was a spin-off such as following Barney and have scenes depicting Freeman in fights/battles from a distance then it might not rape the series.