Build Your Own Dalek With Official Doctor Who Blueprints

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Build Your Own Dalek With Official Doctor Who Blueprints

If you've ever wanted to build your own Dalek, now you can with blueprints straight from the BBC.

The Daleks are one of Doctor Who's mortal enemies, and try as he might, he just can't seem to make them go away. Thanks to official blueprints released by the BBC, he'll have even more to contend with, built by enterprising fans of the long-running television show.

Back in the early 1980s, a Doctor Who fanatic wrote to the BBC requesting for help so that he could build his own Dalek at home. Amazingly, the Doctor Who production office wrote back with an entire booklet that contained detailed blueprints (with a spiffy cover) that showed exactly how to do it. The only catch was that the fan couldn't use the Dalek for commercial purposes.

The blueprints say that the average Dalek build should be divided up into five sections: head, neck, shoulders, body, and base. They also give lists of specific materials needed, such as car wax, modeling clay, and a plunger (I knew that's what that was!).

They're hosted here [http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/media/dalek/blueprints/] by a fellow named Tom that used them as a reference for a 3D modeling project. You, however, should use them to create one of the most terrible scourges that the universe has ever known, and post pictures afterward.

Source: Dvice [http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/media/dalek/blueprints/]

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
O_O So much win. Must have own Dalek. *clicks link* and I shall give it a fez! Because fezzes *puts on shades* are cool. YEEEEOWW!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Quite cool, although the links for the large GIF files all seem broken. I was able to grab the smaller images though. Still a great referance.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
This isn't exactly new. People have been building their own Daleks for decades now. That official blueprints have been released is interesting, though. Anyway, there's a website dedicated to this stuff at http://www.projectdalek.co.uk

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Y'see, that's what separates an ordinary production team from an awesome one.

Ordinary team: "Yeah, have the art department slap together something for the bloke."

Awesome team: "You know what? I feel like making a booklet for this chap. Somebody call the art department and have them paint up a cover. Get the technical crew together... I'm thinking blueprints."

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Excellent! Our plan to rebuild the Daleks will work and not even the Doc-tor will be able to stop us this time!

OT: Oh this is very interesting, guess I have something to scare the hell out of kids on halloween now.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
TheGoldenMan said:
Thats fucking awesome(pardon my language)!
Absolutely! I think this is brilliant. I want my own Dalek. Preferably one that can be remote controlled or I can get inside and pilot it.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Ah, that image is nostalgic. Not that one in particular, but the style reminds me of my childhood, reading my dad's old sci-fi novels.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I'd say this is a cheaper alternative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr3nR1TBREk

Oh. So -that- is what Doctor Who is. A sci-fi serie? I've heard it being mentioned so many times without knowing what it was.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
Wow. This is nerd-tastic. I demand a follow-up thread where model making Escapists show off their work!
Edit: Not necessarily -as large- as the Daleks recommended in the blueprint guide. Scale versions would be awesome, too.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
lol dude look at that cover! look at the old doctor who.....What was up with all the original doctors before the 2000's shows the doctors all looked like crotchity old men...with big poofy hair...

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
lol dude look at that cover! look at the old doctor who.....What was up with all the original doctors before the 2000's shows the doctors all looked like crotchity old men...with big poofy hair...
They were also far better actors and better written characters than the modern series (I love both though for their reasons).

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
in b4 root

Irridium said:
Root hasn't commented yet... probably starting his right now.
It was 3 am over here. He's sleeping.

Oh dear, you do realize this means we won't see root for the next 3 weeks or so right?

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:
WilliamRLBaker said:
They were also far better actors and better written characters than the modern series (I love both though for their reasons).
I'd disagree I watched the original doctor who series and quite frankly they were far too steeped in common British terms, and ideals back then, The current doctor who series actors are far far more worldly.

As for that its not a matter of acting, I've never seen such poofy hair and rickety old man looks before.